THR Help, my leg feels longer.....

@Doupie the pull of doing too much is sooooo hard to resist....I didn't find this site until 7 weeks post op...I was like a maniac...up walking every 10 minutes indoors, 45 minute walks outside. I was exhausted..but the PTs at the hospital said walk..walk..walk. Instinctively I knew it was wrong and was googling hip recoveries when I found Bonesmart. It was so great to allow myself to rest as well as some conservative exercise. It has helped my recovery considerably because I was not prepared for the fatigue but now I know it is part of the healing process.....but now 10 weeks and I've moved on...I do pretty much what I want to do...still with my limp and my impatience at it! But it's still way, way better than my living with THAT pain for two years. Merry Xmas...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny did your OS discuss the possibility of your having LLD before your surgery. Is there anything they can do besides the lift to correct your problem?
 
@Doupie Yes they did discuss LLD before the surgery....not in any depth though. They've said that the shoe lifts are what they prescribe which is why I am waiting...I really do not want shoe lifts if I can do without them....I'm going to stick with the one crutch (which I use about 50% of the time) to try and eliminate my limp and hope that my pelvis adjusts in time.....to be honest ..although I am a little naffed off about the limp and possible LLD... (They say it is 1.5cms shorter, although my perception was that it felt longer in fact ). ....it is nothing compared to the pain I've lived with for 2 years.........frustrating as hell...definitely ...But I can now take a decent walk without too much pain, only stiffness .....that's got to be progress! Take care. Chrissie


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I have sort of the opposite problem. I've had a LLD of over an inch all my life and the surgeon evened them up during the surgeries and it feels like the right leg is still shorter even though I know it is not. OS said it takes the body a while to get used to the new leg lengths and for the pelvis and everything to shift. It is a weird feeling. I keep automatically looking for my lift to put it in my shoe, but then I remember not to. I cant quite bring yself to throw it away yet, though.
 
I am now 2 weeks post op and yesterday when my PT removed my staples, she was concerned that I had leakage from the top of my incision. So as required she called my OS who wanted to see me immediately in case my incision was infected.....:headbang:
After a 2 hour drive to his office I saw his assistant and she pulled off my steri strips which hurt like heck! She said I better get the doctor who took one look at it and said it looks ok, just put a dry dressing on it and then they decided I needed Keflex for 10 days, just in case it was infected. I asked point blank is it infected or not? Well he didn't think so but we want you to take the antibiotic just in case and then he left....

The PA put a dry dressing on and taped me as if she didn't want me to ever get this thing off. I can't shower until tomorrow and I guess I need to put a waterproof dressing on for that, they didn't say, so I will ask @Josephine because she is more knowledgeable than these idiots I'm working with. As if it couldn't get any worse. I tried to broach the subject of the LLD but she just said that my OS concentrated on making sure the hip would not dislocate and that was most important.....:gaah:
I hate these people!!!!!
 
Oh Doupie, they don't seem to be the most reassuring people, do they?

Okay let me address a couple of things for you
I asked point blank is it infected or not? Well he didn't think so but we want you to take the antibiotic just in case
It's not at all uncommon to get a superficial stitch infection as I say in here Closing surgical wounds: how is it done?. Sometimes they do prefer to give some antibiotics as a BBSTS approach (better be safe then sorry!). They are of little or no significance and usually clear up quite well, so don't worry about it.
I guess I need to put a waterproof dressing on for that
As for this, it's no problem. I had a plastic legging to shower with and did so from day 3 while still in hospital. As long as you keep the dressing dry, it will be fine.

[Bonesmart.org] Help, my leg feels longer.....

(I thought it was best to cut the foot off as walking on wet surfaces with plastic on your foot can be a mite slippery and dangerous!)
 
I love Bonesmart and all the knowledge I have gained from this sight. I probably should have researched more for the LLD before I had my second surgery. Because of you guys I did so well and I was so confident that this surgery would be the same. I purchased waterproof bandages and I wish I had known about the press and seal, plus I have some in my pantry. How does that stick to your skin or do you have to wrap it around your waist? I see my GP today and he will check my incision, it appears to be closed and itches like crazy, really bad.

@bottomshollow how do I participate in the New Year's Eve Party? I will try to research it. My 18 year old is having a small group of friends over to listen to music, eat and play board games, etc. My oldest son wants to take me to the movies. I hate going out because I am sooo afraid of catching the flu. My girlfriend has had it for two weeks and I'm so happy she is staying away from me. Is there anything I can use for the itching?

I love Josephine's avatar, that cat is adorable......:kittykiss: She has been great during this trying time and I really appreciate her knowledge..........:thankyou:
 
@Doupie The Press n Seal will stick to your skin, just measure the amount you need to cover the area. Ask your GP if there is anything you can apply, but it may be still to early to apply anything just yet.
 
Okay guys, I need your help.....:beg:
I have been awakened for the past three mornings by pain in the side of my calf on my right leg. This is the leg that was operated on in June and is 3/4" shorter than my left leg. I also have pain and stiffness in the area surrounding my incision on the left leg. The incision is completely healed and the doctor says the infection has cleared up. My incision split open at the top but is now closed and that is the area which feels like something is being pulled or stretched. I am icing whenever I am sitting and elevating my leg, should I do this more? I am icing probably 2-3 times a day for 15-20 minutes. I'm taking 2 Tylenol 650 mg, 2 times a day, a Tramadol and one Hydrocodone at night, but I still wake up with this pain. Should I ice this area on my calf or is this pain an indication of a blood clot...:groan:
Please let me know if this is part of the healing process. I keep praying that my leg is stretching trying to catch up with the left leg...LOL.....:heehee:
 
@Doupie.....sorry I can't help but hope your calf pain wears off......if you suspect a DVT then I would go and get a scan....however, I had a DVT that went to my lung (PE) and the pain was excrutiating with my calf being inflamed and hard to the touch (is yours like this?). However, since my THR I've had muscle tightness in my knee and calf which I know is not DVT, very different pain. Do hope you get some answers honey. Take care Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
No It's not excrutiating, just nagging in the morning and it wakes me up. I have rested a lot today and it is not bothering me. I am watching football and elevating with ice....:)
I'm not sure if it is because my leg is longer and I'm stretching these muscles, they feel really tight but the ice helps to numb it. Thanks for replying....:thankyou:
 
@Doupie......I'm going to tag @Josephine to come and comment. I really don't think this is anything to be concerned about. Your second surgery was so recent and your body is still coping with all it's been through. As your body readjusts itself, you're going to get some pain here and there. I suggest if it wakes you up in the morning, keep some Extra Strength Tylenol and water by the bed. Take 2 500mg tablets and that should make you more comfortable to sleep. Just be sure that you aren't taking more than 4000 mg of the Tylenol (it can be in lots of over the counter drugs) in any 24 hour period. The drug in Tylenol is acetaminophen, so look for that on the label of anything else you may be taking.
 
I am icing probably 2-3 times a day for 15-20 minutes
Ice your hip more. It can never do any harm.
I'm taking 2 Tylenol 650 mg, 2 times a day, a Tramadol and one Hydrocodone at night, but I still wake up with this pain
I think this is nothing more than under medicated post-op pain! You need to get back on track with your pain meds for a while and take them as prescribed. Or switch to this: Tramadol 50mgs + Tylenol 1,000mg 3-4 times a day and lose the hydrocodone as I am sure you will find this is quite sufficient.

I have a couple of questions to ask you:

1. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

2. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please!)
 
1. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and
I have been cooking breakfast and my boys clean up, I did a little shopping during the holidays but nothing since. I've been in the office only three times since my surgery and work from home on my laptop, using my son as a courier. My house is a mess and I really need to get my Christmas decorations put away before my sons leave this week, but I just can't seem to get better. I am battling a sinus problem and taking Mucinex/DM. @Josephine I'm just sooo tired and can't get my energy level back up.

2. what kind of PT/exercises are you doing? How much and how often? (and detailed details would be appreciated, please!)
I have been doing heel pumps in bed and walking around the house, leg lifts and that's it. I do my PT/exercises once or twice a day. My PT wants me to do these 3-4 times a day. My IT band is bothering me a lot and I know that is from the LLD. I've been using heat on that area only and ice on my hip. My incision is tight, very tight and sore to the touch.

I have started taking my pain meds more and on a regular basis. The tramadol/tylenol will allow me to function, Hyrocodone knocks me out. Thanks Josephine your recommendations as always are greatly appreciated. My IT problem is lessened when I wear the lift in my shoe, but everyone on this site says wearing it will not allow my pelvis to settle properly. What am I to do???? The IT problem is bad because I did not wear it at all during this past weekend......
 
I am sorry you are having trouble. It is very frustrating when things don't go as planned. Sending good thoughts your way.
 
I'm just sooo tired and can't get my energy level back up.
That's so be expected. You are still only 4 weeks out. Just getting started really. So don't keep beating yourself up about that. Remember this? Energy drain for THRs.You can't do anything about it anyway. Only time will resolve that. And this is nothing to do with your meds.

As for your PT, take no notice. Hips really don't need much more than that and will do perfectly well on its own.

Have you tried this on your ITB? Acupressure massage.
 
Jo, I will try the acupressure massage and see if it helps. It sounds wonderful.
Thanks again and I am making myself rest more.....:sleep::sleep:
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom