THR Help, my leg feels longer.....

Hi Doupie, just checking in with you, sounds like it has been rough! Yesterday I went to PT for the first time since before Christmas, my PT checked my leg length and asked if I was shifting trying to make it even, I said no, but that it had been feeling better. She said it is still off a little, but less than before. I walked & hiked so much on vacation, walking on uneven ground and beaches was great, I could really feel my muscles working and the LLD was not as annoying. I still do my PT at home, and the isometrics that are for shifting/realigning my pelvis. Have you been measured for LLD? My drs PA told me that on my xray my legs measure equally, but it takes 10-12 weeks for everything to settle. Hope to hear from you, hang in there my friend!:friends:
 
@zumzumpammy It's so good to hear from you and I am so happy you had a wonderful vacation. I keep praying that I wake up and my legs are even. No my OS has not measured my LLD and they are somewhat standoffish whenever I go back for visits.....:shocked: They keep trying to say that my LLD is not a big deal, yeah right.....
I have my six week check up next Thursday and my attorney wants them to do an x-ray and measure, so we know exactly what the difference is. I will write more tomorrow......Take care dea:):)r friend...
 
Well hello everyone.....:flwrysmile:
I am pleased to announce that my LLD is disappearing and my measurement confirmed that I am about 5 millimeters off, which is a lot less than the 3/4 inches back in December. My hip is sore and I know I am doing too much. It's not so much the hip but the incision that is sore and tender to the touch. I have been using silicon sheets to help flatten the scar and I can lay on my operated side but it hurts after a few hours. Is anyone else going through this or experienced this? This surgery has been totally different from the first one....
My best friends are ice and rest, but I want to be back to normal. I want to go to the gym and to Bikram yoga, but I suffered a great deal after one short session...YIKES
What are the best exercises to strength your hip and not cause too much discomfort....:ok:
Thanks guys for all your help.....
 
I think stationary bike is good - but start slow and with no resistance. But if its still sore from doing too much, maybe wait?

Glad the LLD is better - I had it before surgery and used an insert in good leg show - but its almost normal now - after six weeks.
 
Thanks @charmed-life, I have been walking some but the weather is so bad here and I cringe when I go outside. I will try the bike for 5 minutes and see how I feel. I know I'm not the most patient person and it kills me that I have to let my body heal which takes time......:tantrum:
I will continue to repeat the Bonesmart Mantra until I am back to normal......:dancy:
Yesterday on some talk show the comedian Wanda Sykes was asked if 60 was the new 40, she said yes, "but only if you still have your original hips" ...I resented that remark, my new hips are just as good as my original hips!!!
 
@zumzumpammy, how are you doing? Sorry I have not corresponded more, been very busy. I hope everything is going well for you.....:)
 
@Doupie - I agree on the weather - makes me so housebound - we've been having -25F (before windchill) several nights, and today 6+ inches of snow already and going to -15F tonight. Keeps me inside most of the time with limited walking space but maybe that's good because I'm dying to go on a nice long walk... and yet walking the grocery store/Target this week made my leg hurt. But our exercise bike does not hurt and I'm going to keep at that - I rode a bike every day before surgery - the one pain free time of day I had. Trying to get that conditioning back - the walking will come when the snow melts...
 
Hi @ Doupie.......I was told in December I had LLD cos of limp.....been confirmed today not LLD ( as I suspected).... Been doing hydrotherapy and my limp almost gone...it really strengthens the muscles....glad yours getting better too. Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@MajorHeidi. Hydrotherapy is doing strengthening exercises in a warm water pool where your body weight is supported by the water...just same sort of exercises as you do on the land..like side ablations, squats, leg lifting, walking, etc....it feels good too!! Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny that sounds wonderful, where do you do hydrotherapy? Is it at a rehab facility or do you just go to a pool?
 
I have been on the road to recovery and I am a type "A". I sell real estate and my doctor told me I could return to work as soon as I felt like it. PT said 4 weeks, but I never really ever stopped. I worked from my hospital room the day after surgery....:shocked:

I also have a hard time asking for help, especially when people act as if I'm a bother.

My questions is this: "Can you push too hard in your recovery and do damage to yourself or the new hip?"

I would love to spend the next two weeks laying around reading and relaxing, but that's not possible. I have to get a LTHR in October and my new agents will be more help then, they're just green, so I do plan on taking more time then. Has anyone experienced this or am I out here all by my lonesome self, pushing too hard? Please help......:sos:


You sure can over do it within the first 12 weeks. I waited until I was 5 months post op to start up Racquetball and my hip is still stiff at 6months. I read someone at 9 months still stiff as hell. I was told I can go back to work after 12 weeks and I didn't have a job when I had my THR. I was told at the 12 week mark that I can do office work and no heavy lifting. Funny since I just had my 6 month post op x-ray and some new kid doctor told me that he could release me to lift 50 pounds. I said, "Um, no, I'm not a dude".

Your body will let you know what you can do and can't. Don't push it and ask for help. I didn't used stairs is our house until week 3 (or was it week 4?) and our bathroom is upstairs. That meant using a bedside commode downstairs. I slept downstairs on the couch for 3 weeks. I hated those first 6 weeks of my recovery. Give it time. It will improve.
 
@Doupie. Over here in the UK I get hydrotherapy sessions via the NHS and it's located in a hospital.....there are also private facilities too. It's not just an ordinary pool, it's heated to bath water temperature and run by physiotherapists. Of course you are supported about 75% of your body weight at some level in the pool and then work down to shallower levels as the sessions move on......It's just great. Hey just noticed that you are in Real Estate. I was a Manager in an Estate Agents (Real Estate office) for 25 years...sadly retired now but loved my job. Take care..Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom