THR Help, my leg feels longer.....

Right now I have very little pain and can get by with just Tylenol
Doupie, this comment completely contradicts these comments:
rom somebody who went back to work almost immediately with the first surgery in June and now I am basically bedridden.
All I do is move from the bed to the sofa and back.
They attempted to do PT/exercises but they were too painful, so all I'm doing are heal pumps for blood clots.
Everything she attempted made my pain levels go up, so we stopped everything
I've said this several times before but I shall say it again: unless the date in your signature is incorrect (6th December 2013) you are only 9 days out from surgery and all this pain is simply post-op pain.
Tylenol, 1300 mg every six/eight hours
Therefore this is totally inadequate for where you are now. You need to be taking a prescription pain med every 4 hours, something like codeine 30-60mgs plus Tylenol 1,000mg 4 times a day. You simply cannot manage with this.

Let me ask you something else - when you say you have 'no pain' are you referring to the bone-on-bone pain you have re-op? Many people tend to do that and think that everything else they have is something 'gone wrong' which is far from the truth. Please start on a better regimen of pain meds and get your surgery pain under control.
 
When I first came home I ate Hydrocodone 10 mg like candy, 2 pills every 4-6 hours and tylenol, plus something to help me sleep. You know they started my PT the day after surgery in the hospital and on Saturday my in-home PT started and they want to come three times a week. The pain meds threw my system out of whack and I was constipated beyond measure. I was feeling so bad and the LLD was bothering me so I returned to the doctor on Thursday to get some insight on what was going on with my body. On Friday my PT discovered that I needed to rest to alleviate the IT problem on my operated leg and let my body settle down from the pain. My doctor prescribed Tramadol which is not as strong as the Hydrocodone to help with my pain. "He really developed an attitude when he discovered the LLD." He also prescribed muscle relaxers as suggested by my PT.

So during the past two days I have rested and been a model patient. Doing my exercises, heel pumps and walki ng. Mainly I sleep and stay in the bed with my feet elevated, with ice packs on. My pain level dropped from an eight to about a 1-3, with the worse being a 5. I know I can't stay in the bed but the depression keeps me from doing anything right now. I received a lovely flower today from my attorney, it did make me smile. So Josephine I am taking Celebrex twice a day in addition to my pain meds and we will see what Monday holds since my PT starts again.

Thanks again for all your help.....
 
Sounds like you are on the right track now Doupie! Well done on scaling back and getting the pain under control! Now easy does it - right? Slow and steady and if it hurts don't do it just yet. You'll get there!
 
@Doupie Hi there....just to say for the first two weeks my operated leg felt longer and I felt I had to compensate. This went on for about 2 more weeks. When I went for my first Physical Therapy session he measured it and said it was 1.5cms shorter and wanted me to see a podiatrist to get a leg lift. I then found Bonesmart and decided not to take that route. Yet! Saw another PT two weeks later who says that the limp is due to alignment of the pelvis and will change as time goes on. I'm 10 weeks after THR and still limp a little...so been told to stay on one crutch. I think doing anything too soon is a mistake now. Your body has been compensating for a while and needs to sort out. This recovery is an emotional roller coaster but you can see that most situations sort themselves out. These people on BS know what they are talking about..for sure! Good like...take it easy...thinking of you....Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Hoppy Nanny are you still on one crutch? It seems funny to me that in the UK you guys use crutches and in the states we use walkers and canes....:)
I am listening to Josephine and Jaycey which is why I scaled back, you can see from my earlier post I thought I was invincible after my RTHR and did way too much. I love the holidays and I have missed 2 parties and will miss 2 more today but I feel it is important to get this hip off to a good start healing......
The drugs wreak havoc on my emotional system and not being a weepy person it kills me to cry so much.....:hairpulling:
 
Here's a thread for you Doupie. Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it The blues are just part of the recovery process. Drugs, struggling to get mobile and frustration that it can't go any faster. We do understand. Hang in there - it does get better I promise!
 
I'm wondering is there anyway for them to check the alignment of your pelvis and tell you how far out of alignment your are?
 
@Doupie Yes still on one crutch as PT advises will assist with the limping and gait....do you know I now don't care how long it takes as long as I get good result eventually. Yep...sounds like the rest of us....wanted to run before we can walk....I got quite frustrated that at 2 weeks on I felt as weak as a kitten....I thought I should be back to normal...how wrong was I? I've had many weepy day...think it's a combo of the surgery and the drugs.....it's an emotional roller coaster. I scaled back on my activity ( as per BS) and it made all the difference... Instead of thinking I should be moving I've embraced the nap time. Yes the English language is certainly different from the US version....still all means the same at the end of the day. Take good care. Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I'm glad I found this thread and the responses to it. Doupie, I totally understand your feelings about this. I am 4 1/2 weeks post RTHR. I noticed the new leg feeling longer right away. My OS and his PA had told me prior that it was common to have a little LLD, that they did their best to measure but it was a possibility. When I was walking with the walker I felt ok, but when I went to cane and then when my PT had me walk I felt like I had to step up and over that leg. My PT said it would take a couple weeks for things to settle. So after a couple weeks, I was still feeling the same, she measured my legs and said there is a LLD, I can't remember how much, but then she put a 1/2 " lift in my shoe. It does help, but now that I am walking without my cane, I feel thway I am walking is affecting my lower back, it aches after walking. I know I was walking badly before surgery, and I realize it will take awhile for everything to settle down and straighten out. My PT said my pelvis is tilted and will realign as I get stronger and more flexible on that side. But it is upsetting to me to know that the leg is longer. It seems like the procedure is so advanced and there should not be any outcome other than perfect length. I don't want to limp again, or have to always wear lifts in my shoes, what about when I am barefoot to teach yoga? Sorry this turned into my own rant, I have been keeping this to myself andnow realize how upset I am. :tantrum:
 
@zumzumpammy Sorry you feel so frustrated....it's conflicting advice isn't it that makes your head spin. As you see from my response I'm in the same position but am going to let my body even up for a good time before doing anything. It seems to be quite difficult to measure leg length as it's from the pelvic bone and with a tape measure it's not very scientific. Your PT says your pelvis needs to readjust but with a shoe lift it must be difficult girl that to happen? Don't really understand it...hope your sorts itself out . As you say it puts pressure on your back too...as I've had spinal decompression I'm not n a hurry to do that... Good luck honey....I'm sure we will all work out fine n the end..or we can start an LLD Club of our own...humour I've found is the only way forward....merry Christmas . Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I ate Hydrocodone 10 mg like candy, 2 pills every 4-6 hours and tylenol,
That's not 'eating it like candy', that's perfectly normal medication for post major surgery.
I was constipated beyond measure
Beats me why nurses never warn patients about that but it too is perfectly normal and why we always advise member's to 'never forget their stool softeners'!
On Friday my PT discovered that I needed to rest to alleviate the IT problem on my operated leg
No kidding!
It seems funny to me that in the UK you guys use crutches and in the states we use walkers and canes
Not entirely true. Our hip patients always use walkers then in time, transfer to walking sticks (as we prefer to call them).
The drugs wreak havoc on my emotional system and not being a weepy person it kills me to cry so much
Tell me something - did you ever read all the articles I left you in post #3 of this thread? I've asked you that twice before and note you've never actually responded which leads me to suspect that maybe you never did. Because in there is the self-same article Jaycey lust left for you. :shrug:
I'm wondering is there anyway for them to check the alignment of your pelvis and tell you how far out of alignment your are?
Well there is but no professional would do it yet because you are only 10 days out and the results wouldn't really make any sense. I know you're busting to put some numbers to this but it really is so common and we know that given time, it will resolve. So many members have come here to tell you that from their own personal experience.

NB: Can I again ask you to confirm if your surgery date in your signature is correct? I did ask before but you never answered that either. :boohoo:
 
@Josephine, yes my surgery date was the 5th and yes I have read every article on the forum twice. I did it back in June and then again before this surgery. I understand about the emotional whirlwind I'm experiencing due to the drugs and surgery, it's just that it SUCKS! I am not a whiner but I know I sound like one. My girlfriend keeps telling me to stay positive and by God I'm trying. It is comforting to know that other BS people are going through the same thing and are just as confused. Wear the stupid lift and be comfortable or not wear it and let your pelvis adjust......:skep::scratch: You have to admit it is confusing. I understand what you are saying about the medication and my PT agreed that my OS did not prescribe the right amount of pain meds for me.

It seems like the procedure is so advanced and there should not be any outcome other than perfect length. I don't want to limp again, or have to always wear lifts in my shoes, what about when I am barefoot to teach yoga? Sorry this turned into my own rant, I have been keeping this to myself and now realize how upset I am. :tantrum:

Kudos to you @zumzumpammy, I feel exactly the same. Bonesmart allows me to vent and it scares me to death that you are 4 1/2 weeks post and it hasn't improved for you. I agree with you because when I go to yoga class or want to walk on the beach barefoot, how do I do that with the LLD. My limp is bad and my 3/8" lift is not adequate. This is 2013 and this should not still be happening because Josephine says they should do a minimum of 3 measurements. I realize that I had the posterior approach and they can't roll me on my back and measure my legs, but couldn't they have straighten them out to compare? Josephine is the use of x-rays for the measurement the only way they do it or do they ever look at the patient's legs. Had I known this could happen to me I would have opted to live with the bad hip......:yes:
 
@zumzumpammy Just noticed you are only 4.5 weeks post op. I didn't even see my PT until 8.5 weeks after seeing my surgeon at 8 weeks. Surely 4.5 weeks is way too soon to be wearing a foot lift. You've possibly only been full weight bearing for a short time???? Cheers Chrissie


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@Doupie sorry you feel like you shouldn't have had the op now.... I urge you to give it more time... Try to relax about it .... Just for a couple of weeks p.l.e.a.s.e, It's too soon to be jumping to anything conclusive on the LLD front...., take care... Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
thx Chrissie, for your responses. The lift is only in my sneakers that I wear for actual walking and PT, I don't have them on at home and when I have been out this weekend I was wearing boots. So I notice the difference more without the lift. My PT put the lift in my shoe when she watched me walking at PT and saw how I was leaning and going kind of over the new hip. I see her today so will have her see if it looks any better. I am trying to be patient, and I don't think I would have opted out of surgery, but I really envisioned a perfect set of hips and legs as the outcome of all this.
 
@Hoppy Nanny I was weight bearing the day of surgery and began PT before leaving the hospital. My in-home PT started the second day home and they come 3 times a week for 3 weeks or until they feel I am satisfactory on walking.
 
I know zumzumpammy.....a perfect result is what we want after all that pre op pain....I'm still holding onto the premise that in time I will lose this limp...patience is not my strong point but I'm trying! Good luck with the PT today.
Doupie....do hope all is OK for you too. I'm afraid I don't have a lot of faith in PTs ...I've seen two and the say different things so I'm taking the advice on this site and waiting to see if it resolves itself....here's hoping. Take care...Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Thanks Chrissie I did too much today and now I am resting getting back to a good place. I slept most of the day yesterday and felt pretty good when I woke up this morning....Patience is not my forte and I am trying to wait this LLD thing out. My PT says my pelvis appears to be in a neutral position, but she feels my LLD will get better as well. Working on this patience thing, but I'm still ticked at my OS.....:sad:
 
Wear the stupid lift and be comfortable or not wear it and let your pelvis adjust......

I would not wear the lift for right now. It is recommended that you wait 4 to 6 months I believe. If you wear the lift your pelvis will not adjust as Josephine and many other BoneSmarties have said. I will be 12 weeks out this Thursday. I can feel that my pelvis and things in my low back are changing. My operated side felt like I was walking on a stilt when I took my first steps. I broke down and sobbed in the hospital because it felt so much longer. It is much better now. I am fairly certain that I am not limping.
 
My PT put the lift in my shoe

@zumzumpammy Your PT should NOT be putting a lift in your shoe. It is wayyyyy too early. My PT was emphatic about this when I asked her about it. The more walking you do without your aids, the more normal your gait will become even if you have a LLD.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom