THR Help, my leg feels longer.....

Doupie, maybe think about taking a break from your exercise bike if it is causing you pain in your knee ?
 
Hey guys just a quick update...My OS says that I was completely healed and had no restrictions whatsoever. So I asked if I could crossed my legs, to nwhich they replied, "Go ahead".....:yay: It was a little tight but I was able to do it. I received an injection in my knee and will need to watch it for the next three weeks to see if I possibly tore anything. Right now its ok. I went to my Bikram Yoga class on Sunday for 90 minutes and did really well. I am stretching and now riding my bike for 30 minutes. Other than a strange, weird feeling in my knee I'm good, real good. It's not painful, it just doesn't feel normal, like before.

I'm cautious because I'm not sure if I trust my new hip. My OS says that I'm good but I just want to make sure I don't experience any setbacks. I know you guys have been here. How long does it take before you forget that you have a metal hip? My friend says that he doesn't ever think about his hip and when he was jogging on the beach he could hear a clicking sound....he went back to the doctor who told him everything was fine. My friend has double THR and feels the best he's felt in a long time.

Everyone, thank you so much for all the support, advice and valuable information. You guys rock!!!!!..... :thankyou:
 
You can trust your new hip, but it feels so good that you can strain the muscles and tendons around the hip that are still weak. I am at 3.5 months and most of the time I don't have any problems with it, but this week I upped the intensity of my pool exercises and did them three days in a row. tonight I feel a poking pain in my glutes on the operated side-a heads up that I am overdoing it. Tomorrow I will try an easy yoga class instead of the pool.
You need to be mindful for a while. I am not sure how long.
 
Thanks LeeApril26, I think that is my problem, it's the tendons and ligaments around my new hips.....:umm:
I will take it easier since I am only 8 weeks post op and I trying really hard not to push it...:headbang:
 
Doupie. It makes sense. Hard to do when you want to just run after all the days of pain and frustration.
 
Hey guys,
I have been very busy as usual....last month I vacationed at Hilton Head Island, SC for a week and enjoyed walking on the beach without pain...YEA!!!
I wanted to ride bikes while I was down there, but didn't want to over do it. My hip feels as if I never had the surgery. I am challenged in some positions in my yoga class but I know that will get better with time. I am currently 11 weeks post op and yesterday started to experience a strange ache in my new hip. The ache radiated down my leg into my foot. Has anyone else experienced this. It doesn't hurt all the time, like right now I'm in bed and it's not really noticeable, but the area around my hip is sore. What is going on, please help.......:sos:
 
Hi Doupie
This went on with me for weeks - nerves waking up, muscles healing etc. You are still at an early stage and probably overdoing it! :ok: My yoga teacher says you must have respect for your body - if it is hurting, you are doing something you shouldn't so stop!
I'm sure you were given some stuff to read by Bonesmarty moderators early on - look back at the healing/recovery bits and you will see where you are going wrong. The one thing we've all had to learn is patience, if only we could collect that at the pharmacy.
Take care of yourself and rest :angel:
Anne
 
Nannyannie, thank you for your reply....You are probably right and I took the weekend off, skipping yoga and resting most of the time.
I did go out to the park and road the bike for a little bit, not as much as I normally do and I am feeling pretty good. You are so right about over doing it, I wish I could get some patience at the drugstore......:yes!:
It's amazing how good I feel....I actually sometimes forget that I have had my hip replaced, wish is good but bad...LOL
 
:shocked:Hey guys I am experiencing the feeling of my operated leg being longer than my right leg. Has anyone else been through this? My PT says it feels this way because it was just operated on. I know I should do a search, but I'm on meds and I'm having a hard time. During my procedure my epidural did not work on the left side and they gave me some more medication to numb it. Apparently it didn't work because when I woke up the pain was unbearable and I couldn't feel my right leg, nothing.......:shocked:
but my left leg was screaming in pain. Additionally it took me almost 12 hours to urinate, they thought I would need a catheter, but my bladder finally woke up. OnQ pump did not appear to be working, had a tremendous amount of pain. They gave me toradol, Hydrocodone and celebrex in the hospital....after complaining they finally gave me some Oxycotin.
Now that I'm home the OnQ pump seems to be working and pain is under control. I am elevating, iceing and resting as much as I can. The leg difference feels like its off by a quarter of an inch, I have to bend my knee on the operated leg just stand level. Help....:beg:
 
a lot of the folk on here have the "my leg is longer" fear....it's only a normal hip adjustment you are feeling.
nothing to worry about. the lovely Josephine, or one of the Mods will be along shortly to reassure you of this I'm sure . meanwhile, well done, take it easy and try and relax. you've made it girl :)

best wishes
John

oh ,i had an epidural too and opted to stay awake for the whole floor show :)
 
I'm experiencing the same but my surgeon explained beforehand that that is a normal sensation since the muscles in your bad hip were very tight prior to surgery and now that they have released your pelvis which had been compensating will take time to realign... I'm already feeling some improvement with PT but I know it will take time.
 
dba212 & ochaye, thank you so much for the comforting words. I kind of freaked out because it seems like a huge difference. I am so glad I found this forum.....:happydance:
 
The feeling of leg discrepancy is very common and usually resolves itself with time. Please read this article from our BoneSmart Library.

Am I understanding you correctly that you are still in a lot of pain? If that is so, tell us more about that.
 
No, finally got the pain under control, just got scared with the LLD.
 
Douple nearly every new hippie feels like the op side is longer. Give it 3-4 months. Your pelvis was probably tilted slightly pre-op as you tried to stay off that sore hip. Now things balance and muscles need to stretch and strengthen a bit. Read the article Jamie left you and give it some time. In most cases this just disappears.
 
Okay guys just giving a quick update....I had a rough day yesterday, had to endure the nurse and the PT, checking my coumadin level, going through exercises, they also removed my OnQ pump which ran out 2 days earlier than prescribed....:yikes: I've had to deal with more pain during this recovery period and the OnQ pump was a Godsend last time, so I was really bummed when this ran out. I tried to tell everyone in the hospital that the pump was not full, but they blew me off. So I was not surprised when it ran out of the numbing medicine on Sunday.

I spent the better part of the day resting and dumb me I forgot to eat lunch. I'm not sure if the pain meds are dulling my appetite but something is. So when everyone left my house I was in a lot of pain and ravenous. I popped a couple of pills and consumed a sandwich and a large bowl of soup. Needless to say I became very ill. My digestive system seems to be way out of whack. After losing everything that I had consumed I felt much better, albeit very weak. I will never take pain meds on an empty stomach again, lesson learned.....:)

Now for my recovery, it is going well and although I have experienced more pain with this hip. I was told that every surgery is different and that I should not expect the same outcome. My biggest concern is the LLD. My PT says that it will be much better in 2 weeks and the OS assured me that he took x-rays showing that the length was the same. My biggest fear is that my right leg was operated on first, it had bone spurs/cysts and the OS measured the length of that leg using the left which was bone on bone. So if the OS did not calculate the length based on the left leg being repaired and the space restored, wouldn't the newly operated leg be off by that amount? I've been told that my muscles stretched out and they have to contract and return to normal. But if this is the case, why did I not have it on the opposite leg? I can walk without my cane but the LLD causes me a certain amount of discomfort. If I didn't have that, this surgery would be perfect. I've read everything on here about this subject, but has anyone recovered from LLD and can advise me that I will get back to normal, please.....:sos:

Jaycey, I appreciate your thoughts but I would love for someone who has been through this with both hips to respond. My friend Jack had both hips done last year and he did not experience LLD. I'm telling you guys this is really bad, 3/4" of a difference is really big and a long way for muscles to be stretched.....:gaah: I hate this limp and feel that I would be farther along in my recovery......
 
OMG....just got off the phone with the OS office and they tell me that he had to use a different type of prosthesis in my left hip because they didn't want it to dislocate in my hip. I am really ticked that he did not discuss this with me the next day or warn me about the LLD.....:skep:
Josephine, I hate to bother you but could this be contributing to my problem with the LLD? I don't know who to trust anymore. Why didn't he explain this after the procedure, he acted as if everything was normal and that all went well. I am really upset and I am planning on going to his office tomorrow to hopefully get some answers. If he tells me I am going to have a limp or have to wear a lift in my shoe for the rest of my life someone is going to get the wrath of Caroline!!!!!..........:tantrum:
 
Caroline, you're getting all this out of context. ¾" really isn't that bad and will easily correct itself over time. It matters not that you didn't have this with your first hip. That was a different surgery and some months ago. Fact is that your body adapts to your efforts to accommodate the pain in your left hip and in doing so, tilts the pelvis. This habit was learned over several months is not undone in a matter of days. It also will take several months to readjust back to normal. But it will. You just need to give it time and try not to get in a fret about it. It also has nothing at all to do with a different implant being used.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom