THR Help, my leg feels longer.....

Butterfly, I had the posterior approach and they just separate your muscles with a spreader and no muscles are cut. I watched this procedure on Youtube several times before I had my procedure done. It took my surgeon 45 minutes to do my complete procedure. When your muscles remain intact it is so much easier to become mobile quicker and with less pain.

LeeApril26, I've been wearing my Keen sandals and they are about 2 years old. I will try a new pair of sneakers today and see if that makes a difference. I am wrapping my knee after I massage the Elmore Oil in and that helps, I have very little swelling, so I am happy about that.....:dancy:

I do realize that it has only been 5 weeks and that I must go slow to go fast. Patience has never been my strong suit....:)
 
Josephine, I am concerned about this area because I had no idea he was using a tourniquet and the feeling has not returned to normal. It still feels different from my other legs, somewhat pins and needles and the pain in my calf. I'm still icing and elevating, although I'm not seeing any swelling. How long should I continue this treatment? I'm also wondering if crawling in and out of my truck the past few days isn't contributing to this. My car is in the shop so I've been a cowgirl in the Ford F150 truck...YeeHaw
I get the car back tomorrow and we will see....
 
I had no idea he was using a tourniquet
Uh??? But according to your first post, the thread title and your signature, you've had a hip replacement!
My questions is this: "Can you push too hard in your recovery and do damage to yourself or the new hip?"
Don't use tourniquets for hips!
 
I was told by the nursing staff that he used a tourniquet, I have emailed my OS and asked him to clarify. Josephine, I will not bother you again with my stupid questions and please accept my deepest apology. I will just ask my OS and staff if I am still having problems. Take care!
 
Oh Doupie, Doupie - please don't say that. We have a philosophy on that there is no such thing as a stupid question! Truly - if it's something you want answered, something that puzzles or concerns you, then please ask it. And no apologies required!

I had to laugh that it was a nurse than told you this. She obviously must have thought you'd had a knee done! :snork:

But about that pain in your thigh - I would conjecture that it's something like an ITB (ilio-tibial band) issue or T Trochanteric bursitis. Either (and sometimes both) of those are very common after a THR.
 
Doupie I'm nine weeks tomorrow and my op side knee, which had bothered me pre-op, and wasn't happy post-op, just stopped hurting last week. I'm pretty sure it gave its pain to the other knee, which had also hurt. The pains just keep moving around LOL!

Doupie and LeeApril26 I'm still wearing last year's Keens, I adore them. I do my nightly walk in them, which I have just found out is now 3/4 mile (!!!!), and the more walking I do, the better any shoe gets. Go figure. Right now I'm doing a walking cure-- it's definitely the way to go for me atm! :)
 
zauberflöte. The keen sandals are terrific. I wore them to the gym today for my first treadmill walk in more than a year-22 minutes, but not very fast, about 2.5 mph, so I did about 3/4 of a mile. It has been so hot here that walking outside is unpleasant. Then into the pool. My hip is fine but my knees are killing me. I think you're right that the pain keeps moving around. Wish it would move out!
 
LeeApril26 I agree with you wholeheartedly, I just wish the pain would just move out. I am glad to report that I do not have a blood clot. I had terrible pain when I placed my foot on the floor yesterday and my calf was hurting like crazy. I went to my primary care doctor and he felt that an ultrasound was warranted and ordered one right away. After I was cleared he gave me a prescription for Naproxen 500 mg for inflammation. He was amazed at my recovery and said that I should be happy with my recovery....:) I told him that I was and how the forum was a big part of my success with my recovery.....thank you very much Josephine and everyone who has advised me and kept me sane......:thankyou:
 
Doupie I know what a relief it is not to have a clot! I was in a similar situation at about day 10, I think. Terrible pain in the op side calf, it was Sunday..... so I went to the ER. No clot :) ! I think I was undermedicating, and it was a muscle cramp. But the location of the pain had moved upwards from Saturday to Sunday, so we decided better safe and silly than sorry.

LeeApril26 I was wearing my Keens on my treadmill until I got the new running shoes. Last week I cleaned up the window a/c unit in the garage where the treadmill is, and what a nice thing that is! I'm working my way up the speed levels, my top treadmill speed right now is 2.3mph, and I'm adding 2 minutes every several sessions, and am up to 19 minutes of striding, with 2 minutes of holding on and paying attention to the gait while cooling down. But i can't go every day-- that's overdoing it. Sometimes I do a token short walk on a day, but then still will have to have a day off. BUT-- it's the good hip that hurts!!!
I can walk at night outside here b/c it's usually below 85, and there's no sun so the impression is of relative coolness. And I'm not going very fast...:heehee:
 
Doupie. That must have been scary! Happy all is well.

zauberflöte. I am in the mountains right now, so night time walks with the bears don't appeal, even if the inclines did. It's great that you haVe a treadmill at home. I did but I never used it much so gave it to my nephew. You are In creasing speeds wisely. As usual I overdid it yesterday,
 
Okay guys I need a little help......:sos: I am 5 weeks post op and the hip is doing great, however my right knee and calf are still giving me trouble. The tendons on the bone are sore and the knee is sore. The Elmore oil helps and of course I'm still icing, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has my knee been compromised in some way. This is the tourniquet area and I would be almost pain free if not for this issue....:umm:
I too have significant knee pain 2+ weeks post surgery. Go back to OS on Aug. 1st and plan to ask about it then, but any insights from others would be great. Especially if this is typical and how best to handle/ treat the knee pain.
 
I think knee pain is normal...just guessing, most of had pretty dysfunctional gaits pre surgery due to pain...muscles get used to things being a certain way...they have been stressed, assaulted if you will in the surgery and we now have a totally different geometry in the pelvis and upper legs not to mention a different gait. Muscles that have been "guarding" our hip pre surgery no longer need to...I think they let us know that all this change isn't exactly appreciated! Also many of us are at the 6 or 7 or more weeks out. We tend to act as if we are pretty much healed and we are dramatically ramping up activity levels...so we pay the price. Don't forget hip bone is connected to the leg bone, leg bone is connected to the knee bone and on and on. Knee pain seems to be part of the settling in process.
 
Hey Doupie ! How are you?? back to work, I'm guessing, you just couldn't stay away... :)

ChinaDLB nice meeting you :) I had knee pain before surgery, and quite a bit after also-- mostly when I was sitting on the couch with my leg extended along the couch in front of me. It felt like I was trying to bend my knee backwards, and to help I put a cushion under my leg to bend the knee a bit. That helped some. But then......it went away! I'm 10 weeks, and that knee is pretty quiet right now-- love it!
 
nmscienceteacher, you are probably right. I have been riding my stationary bike 15-30 minutes and boy is my knee killing me. I'm here right now with ice ad my legs elevated up in the air. I visit my OS tomorrow for my follow up appt and can't wait to ask him about what's going on. I know someone said that you're not really sure what you can or can't do, or what will happen to the hip if you do something that you've been told not to do. It's a little frightening with all the unknowns, but I guess the biggest factor is we have put our bodies through a major surgery and it takes time to get back to normal. i keep thinking that by October I will probably be healed and will have surgery on my left hip......:groan:
The only plus is that I found the forum so I know what to expect and the questions I should be asking......:yay:
Thanks guys!!!!
 
@zauberflote, good to hear that the more I heal the less pain I will have in my knee. Of course I am back at work, I am addicted. We should start a 12 step program for me to get off this hamster wheel.....:sos:
 
@zauberflote your name did not come up, why?
 
Doupie do you mean the little "hint" at the bottom left of the text field? I don't know, sometimes it take like 15 second, it seems, for those names to show up!
I really made a big mistake putting that "o with the umlaut" in it, should have left it a plain "o" LOL LOL
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom