THR Help, my leg feels longer.....

I want to use the silicone patches to help reduce the appearance of the scar.
Eh? What's this nonsense? Scars heal perfectly well if left alone!
I think I can also feel the scar tissue because it's sometimes pretty tight when I do my exercises.
Depends which 'scar tissue' you are referring to. If you mean adhesions, then you don't have them - end of conversation! If you mean scarring where you've been cut by the surgeon's scalpel, that's normal and will abate in time. Don't make a big issue of a small one! :wink:
what do most people use when they come off of the meds, Aleve, Tylenol
If you do it correctly and just reduce them as the pain reduces, then nothing. There is no 'switch over' to be done. Stop planning ahead! Let your pain levels dictate what you take, how much and when.

Another tip - Aleve is an NSAID and you want to avoid NSAIDs at all costs. Much better to use Tylenol so long as you use a sensible dose like 1,000mg 3-4 times a day. Read this NSAIDs, acetaminophen (Tylenol, paracetamol) differences and dangers.
I tried not taking them yesterday and felt the pain today.
That was a silly girl! :snork: :wink:
My bruise is fading very nicely and the doctor's office said it came from the tourniquet used during the surgery, makes since
People say this and I have no idea why as it clearly shows they have no idea whatsoever! The reason you got bruised is because you were cut (surgery) while under anaesthetic and with depressed blood pressure. Once the the surgery and anaesthetic was over and your blood pressure came back to normal, lots of areas inside your leg started oozing and then oozed some more when you got on your feet. It drained down your leg and pooled behind your knee - inevitably contributing to a lot of the swelling and pain you had. It was NOT caused by the tourniquet! :no-fin:
 
Doupie You are doing so very well!!:egypdance: Going out with friends, getting your nails done and laughing all the way, getting over That Awful Man. Recovery in many forms!!

I didn't have steri-strips, I had a long piece of tape stuck over the incision that I was to snip the edges off as they became loose. Sometime in the 5th week I was down to about one inch of tape, and I got impatient and pried it gently off. Unbelievable how sticky that stuff was-- it was welded to my skin!! Lots of people massage their scars; my PA showed me how when I went back at two weeks. I use cocoanut oil cos it's what I have, others use Vitamin E or other things.

As far as weaning from pain meds, I'm taking 3000mg of tylenol and 1000mg of advil split up into 4 doses, right now. If I weren't taking the advil my other hip and my hands would be pretty awful, and I'd love to be taking more advil.....sigh.

Keep up the happy times, even though you know you're going to have weepy times too-- cry it out and let the sun shine after! :):SUNsmile: :SUNsmile:
 
Doupie, You have a beautiful knee! I'm sure the bruising will clear up. You are on blood thinners too, probably, so bruises are more likely to form. I had real tenderness and pain under my jaw (only when I touched it -- so of course the solution is NOT to touch it). I thought maybe they had put a breathing tube in, but my doctor said they had not. He said I was lying on that side, and maybe I "squished" it. That is the scientific terminology, but I did get the general sense, which was not to worry about it. In any case, it is getting better -- not worse -- so I am satisfied. Remember: sometimes you have to go slow to go fast. Slowing down right now will speed your recovery, and speed the progress of the members of your team! Let them help you, and have confidence in you. I'm sure you are a very motivating leader, and they will not want to let you down!
 
BeckyR and zauberflöte, thank you for the wonderful advice....I started taking Tylenol Arthritis 650mg, twice a day and my pain med at night . I can't wait to talk to my doctor about my procedure, I have lots of questions which I have written down so I won't forget. Yes as long as I don't touch my leg it's okay. Josephine was right about the blood from the procedure flowing down my leg, she is so smart......:) :)
And I am trying to go slow so that I will be available to help my son next month when he leaves for college.....:yay:
 
I have eased three strips off and my incision looks great, she says the will fall off in the shower so I have to stop being so careful not to knock them off.
Oh go on - be a devil and knock them off! Who would know? Anyway, I have no idea why US surgeons insist on this nonsense. In the UK they are removed at around 14 days as long as the wound looks well healed. Once in a while, if there is 'peeping' of the wound in a little spot, we might apply one or two new ones but they come off as soon as the area is settled and healed. Besides which, I couldn't stand having those things on my skin for more than two weeks as I am a little hypersensitive to them.
 
Okay guys so I took the stupid steri-strips off last night and I have a 6-7 inch scar. My mom had surgery on May 14th and her incision is only 4-5 inches long. Her's is on her thigh and mine is on my butt. I will send a picture tomorrow, for some reason I am really sleepy. So will post more tomorrow. It just feels sooo good to have those strips off they were so irritating.....:hairpulling:
 
Doupie way to go getting rid of the steri-strips! What a relief :) The reason you are sleepy is, you are healing and your body wants sleep LOL!
My (anterior/front approach) scar was measured today at PT, and it's exactly 4 inches-- I don't even want to think about the construction project that went on inside that tiny space...:scary:

Besides sleepy, how are you? Friends coming by with chocolate and magazines and Netflix subscriptions?:heehee:
 
Hi Doupie I just stumbled on your thread and I'm so glad you're on the right track in your recovery and doing well now. With all of the excellent advice Josephine gave you, and the laughs and support from zauberflöte and nmscienceteacher BeckyR and all the others, it's no wonder you're doing great! Isn't this forum the best?
Keep up the great recovery - and keep us posted on how it's going! Take care. :)
 
zauberflöte & ByGosh I am doing wonderfully well, thank you guys so much for asking. I have told so many people about this forum and sent the link to two of my Yoga friends who are also having THR. The reason I am so sleepy is that I just returned from Washington, DC, from my reunion and we didn't sleep very much trying to catch up with Sorority Sisters we hadn't seen in 38 years. I had the most fun and I was treated like a queen. I know you guys advised me not to go, but it made me so sad that I wouldn't get to see everybody or help celebrate our Centennial. Everyone was amazed that I had my hip replaced 4 weeks ago. One of my Soror's husband had his knee replaced 4 months ago and was still struggling, so I told her to direct him to our site. Bonesmart is the best forum for information and help whenever anyone goes through these procedures.

I have very little pain, only stiffness whenever I sit for a long period of time. Removing the steri-strips has made my incision site feel so much better. It is beautiful, flat completely healed and I covered it with the silicon patch so it will be non existent in a few weeks, just a memory.....:yes!:
Also I was speaking with my girlfriend who had both hips replaced and she reminded me to watch my feet turning in, somewhat like pigeon toed walking. I did notice sometimes when I stand or put my legs up that my right foot tries to rotate in towards the left foot. She says this comes from the doc manipulating the hip during the procedure and that it will cause pain if I'm not careful. I should probably check the forum for this.
But I really do have to concentrate on keeping this foot straight. Does anyone else have this problem? When Ann mentioned it I thought about the times when my leg hurt or was uncomfortable and my foot would be in that strange position, but it is normally when I am tired, so note to self "Don't push it".......:heehee:

Thanks guys for keeping me sane....I'm sure the men in the white coats are just waiting on me to slip up, but I won't. Enjoy this beautiful day and all that the world has to offer.......:flwrysmile:
 
Glad you got to go and reconnect with old friends...it feeds the soul and that is important too! Plan a few light days so you can rest up after your trip and you should be good to go. My foot rotated in also...as I get farther out from surgery it does so less and less but I still notice it when I am tired. Have a great day.
 
Hi Doupie I'm so glad that you got to go to your big event and see your old college friends! It sounds like such a good time, and you did so well. How wonderful for you. Things seem to be coming along nicely for you, and you're doing a great job with your recovery.
I'm curious about the silicone patch for your scar. Would you mind telling me about it - the name - where you got it and what it does? I'm intrigued, and if it eliminates scars, that would be terrific.
Thanks and take good care of yourself! :)
 
Doupie you go girl! It must have been quite something seeing all your sorors from decades past, and a huge centennial to go with that. You've got an iron constitution-- you don't mention the flight/drive, the bed, the walking-- all at 4 weeks! I agree, plan to lie low for a few days to recharge your hip.
Today at the OS, I met two knee replacement patients 2 weeks post-op. They were both walking very well and mostly pain free-- something to do with the computer system that designs the surface for the implant? or designs the implant? The bilateral woman limped 2 steps when she got up from her chair and then marched purposefully down the hall-- best recommendation one could have for a new knee ever!

ByGosh not to steal Doupie's thunder, but I've seen silicone patches in Rite Aid with the wound care supplies. I'm leery of silicone, and can't remember why! LOL. I'm kinda proud of my scar, adding to my collection heh heh.
 
ByGosh my therapist recommended the patches and I walked into CVS and they had a kit marked down to 7.49 so I grabbed it. This one is Dr. Blaine's and it also has an oil to use when I don't have the patch on. So far so good. Supposedly this will reduce the appearance of the scar...I seem vain.....:martini:
I had surgery on my ankle and the incision split open in the cast, resulting in a serious scar which required plastic surgery, it looked like a centipede on my ankle. Okay I'm sleepy again, so talk more tomorrow. Goodnite sweet friends!!!!
 
... sometimes when I stand or put my legs up that my right foot tries to rotate in towards the left foot. She (my friend) says this comes from the doc manipulating the hip during the procedure
Utter rubbish! I do wish people wouldn't make up these silly stories and pass them around as if they were scientific certainties!
 
Okay guys I need a little help......:sos: I am 5 weeks post op and the hip is doing great, however my right knee and calf are still giving me trouble. The tendons on the bone are sore and the knee is sore. The Elmore oil helps and of course I'm still icing, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and has my knee been compromised in some way. This is the tourniquet area and I would be almost pain free if not for this issue....:umm:
 
Hi, Doupie, I love your style! Your writing style, and your personal style! So glad you were able to go to your reunion. That had to give you a huge lift. My foot turns out, not in, but that's because the lateral compartment in my knee is bone-on-bone and the knee is deformed. I'm going to need surgery on the knee, at some point, but that will have to wait until at least next summer. Meanwhile, I have an unloader brace to wear which makes a huge difference. It is clunky and not a fashion statement, but it will get me through this coming year. You are making amazing progress, Doupie!
 
Doupie. Have you tried a new pair of sneakers/shoes? I found I walked differently and had pain when wearing my well broken in running shoes. Bought new sneaks and leg pain was much better. I have OA in my knees and do knee exercises regularly. When I was recuperating I didn't do them and the knee got worse. Also knees are influenced by weak glutes on the opposite side. If you were incapacitated and not exercising before surgery that may be an issue. Just brainstorming here-no medical background at all but 20 years of knee arthritis.
 
Josephine
Yes they are - it's a long, long time since we sliced muscles apart - and I should know as I was there at the beginning when we did! I'm that old, y'know!

So is it really true they area not slicing muscles any more with the posterior approach?? WOW!! YAY!! If this is so then I will quit worrying about the posterior approach thing. ZOWIE! That was my big concern.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom