THR Help, my leg feels longer.....

I noticed today that I have a palm size bruise on my operated leg on the calf right below my knee. Has anyone dealt with this? The bone near the area is sore and tender to the touch but otherwise no pain.
I doubt this is caused by the surgeons gripping your leg to manipulate it during surgery. For one thing, such bruises don't usually wait three weeks to emerge and for another, it's in the wrong place! Additionally, look at the bruise - there's an intense area of blue there. In my opinion, this indicates that some oozing has been going on in your hip, filtering down the leg and emerged near the surface at that point. This is nothing serious, it often happens so don't get in a flap about it. Wounds do ooze. But the time frame is right for this to have been the cause. Take a look at this article Bruising after surgery and note the suggestion about witch-hazel. It really works.
 
Josephine, OMG my bruise is nothing compared to yours......:yikes: You are a wonder to have survived all that. I have had lots of company today and didn't ince as much. I have been officially released from PT and passed all my tests with flying colors. I have five more days on the Coumadin and I have to see my regular doctor for the INR test on Tuesday, they reduced me to five MG per night. I can't wait to put witch hazel on my bruise and make it go away. I wore pants today so no one would notice and ask me questions.

I broke off my engagement today, because Jack, my fiance continues to snap at me when I ask him to help me. I cried like a big baby and cursed him out for making me feel so helpless........:boohoo: I made him give me my keys and take all his stuff. He said I was bossy and he really didn't care. After I kicked him out I realized that I was all alone.....youngest son at college and oldest out of town for holiday, they thought Jack would spend the weekend with me. So of course I decided that I should try driving and it was a piece of cake. I couldn't take pain meds but didn't really need them. I didn't rest as much as I should have to today, so everyone go ahead and beat with a wet noodle. Tomorrow is my day, I am planning on being a vegetable for the entire weekend. I'm still crying over the way Jack treated me and then he tried to make it my fault...relationships are so hard. I could kill my husband of seventeen years for dying on me and putting me back out here on the dating scene........:groan:

I am really sleepy right now, I took a half a xanax to quiet my mind....I hate crying and my company kept me occupied but now I can't stop.....:boohoo: :cry: :boohoo: This is just not me, I'm strong and I don't like not being in control. Thank you all for your wonderful advice and words of wisdom. I belong to several forums but you guys ROCK!!!!!

Love and kisses to you all......:thankyou:
 
((((( Doupie ))))) <---- cyberhugs! I'm sorry about your ex-fiance, that's not a good way to find out how he behaves under stress...
The crying is totally post-op blues, brought on by something that would make Anybody cry! Cry it out, blow your nose, and for heaven's sake be careful in that car! Tomorrow being a vegetable day, you do know that vegetables can't drive legally?:heehee:
 
zauberflöte, you are sooo cute.....:rofsign:
I suppose that you are right, I've never seen vegetables driving. I'm taking the day to cry all my tears out, hopefully so I can get on with the job of healing. I'm laying in my bed doing my stretches and I want to try my stationary bike today for a few minutes and see how I do. I miss riding my bike and I use to love to ride up to the Farmers' Market which is not far from my house about 5 miles. I want to go to my Bikram Yoga class, I miss it sooo much and my instructor has offered to do a special class just for me to show me some poses to use with my new hip until it completely heals. Something very gentle, I know Josephine is thinking that I can't just lay down and heal. It is very hard for me and I am somewhat lonely in this big house all by myself.....:sad:
I'm happy that I can drive, I did not find any witch hazel but I have several bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide....my bruise looks better this morning and after looking at Josephine's bruises I feel blessed.
TaTa for now.....:flwrysmile:
 
Doupie please please please consult with your OS before taking that yoga class! I'm going to tag BarbaraR , who went back to yoga post op with coaching sessions and gently. She can tell you her experiences :)
I don't think those were Josephine's bruises-- they are those of a number of hippies and kneesies (whatever they call themselves over there LOL) who have posted their pics of bruises. And speaking of Josephine, don't tag her (you know, with the "@" sign) unless you have a question specifically for her. She, being the Boss And Mother Hen, has to be present on this WHOLE forum, which is an enormous task, and we like to leave her time to pet the cat and get a bite to eat and read the newspaper LOL )
I don't blame you for being lonely, and unexpectedly too. Have you trawled around on other people's threads? it can be very entertaining, and you will make new friends right away-- you seem pretty outgoing :)
Keep cool if you live in a hot place...
 
Doupie, You need to buy a voodoo breakup doll or a referee stress doll whose arms & legs can be ripped off!
A good cry is a good idea! No wet noodle slapping today!
[Bonesmart.org] Help, my leg feels longer.....
 
Doupie you are a champ...look how much you have learned on this forum and how you have learned to manage your recovery...pat yourself on the back and shame on your late fiancé for not being man enough to be supportive of you in your time of need. I love anniemg's idea of a break up doll...I'll send the pins!
Take it easy on the bike go really slowly and remember less is more...you are pretty early in recovery for that. Congrats on driving...it really helps with the trapped feeling to be able to go get a cuppa, or pick out your own food at the grocery store. Take it easy and treat yourself to a few things you love this weekend. Get some cheery flowers for your table or bedroom too...it will help you feel better.
Zauberflote is right about the unstoppable tears....my theory is they help you release some of the trauma of the surgery that got stored up while you were all doped up in the hospital. I find if I start crying about something the tears just roll on like the mighty Mississippi...way out of proportion to what is happening.
{{{{{hugs from another hippie}}}}}
 
after looking at Josephine's bruises
That wasn't mine it was yours! I just cropped it and colour enhanced it to show the centre of the bruise!
I want to go to my Bikram Yoga class, I miss it sooo much and my instructor has offered to do a special class just for me to show me some poses to use with my new hip until it completely heals
And here I was just thinking how you'd taken everything on board and was doing it properly at last! :doh:

NO Yoga - not for a while yet anyway. You must let all that inflammation settle down first. Or do you really want it to become a chronic and difficult to treat permanent condition?
 
Doupie. Oh my gosh- all that you have been through!!! Not much has been said about your breakup with Jack-other than go ahead and cry. Let me say I think that you made a very wise decision based on the info provided. I realize that women tend to be caretakers and guys don't do this as well. Some of that may be true but some is just BS. :skep: it seems that most have supportive, loving spouses or significant others that help without asking, questioning, sighing, eye-rolling, or snapping. Others are not so lucky. Maybe they are overwhelmed by working and doing all this extra stuff. Maybe they are just jerks. You need to concentrate on healing and it MIT be easier without this jerk. I certainly don't mean to prolong your grief about this breakup or hijack your thread, but I would be interested in hearing how others spouses or significant others behaved during what can be a rather long time of relying more intensely on them.
 
I certainly don't mean to prolong your grief about this breakup or hijack your thread, but I would be interested in hearing how others spouses or significant others behaved during what can be a rather long time of relying more intensely on them.​
Shadow09, My husband has been doing laundry, housework, food shopping and carting me to drs apts etc. from November last yr thru now...when the guys at work offer to help me, i tell them i can do it myself...but at home, truth be told...i'm milking it!!!:wink:
 
Shadow09, you can start a thread about this in the Social Room, then you won't have to worry about hijacking anyone else's thread.
 
Okay guys I have had company again most of the afternoon and my girlfriends took me out for a drink....I had water with lemon, they had martinis and wine......:gaah: and I really wanted a glass of wine and the restaurant had a special with all wines 1/2 price. It was good to get out and spend time with friends, but I miss you guys. I was telling everyone how supportive this forum is and all the great advice I have received. Josephine I can't believe that was my bruise...I have witch hazel soaking on it right now along with my lovely ice bag.
Shadow09 your are right he was a jerk and he didn't call me the next morning after my surgery and was 2 hours late picking me up because he was taking care of some things. I should have dumped him then, but I gave him the benefit of the doubt. For the past three weeks he has done nothing but complain about everything, he stretched his achilles tendon and could barely walk, he had headaches, someone broke into his house, etc., etc, etc....I hated to ask him for anything because he always struggled to do it, plus he said I was bossy.....:umm:

Well enough about the idiot, let's talk about me. My bruise is actually starting to fade and I will post a picture tomorrow after utilizing the witch hazel remedy. Not sure about Yoga I was only going for the breathing exercises and some of the simple positions, but I have had a change of heart and will wait until after I see the doctor on 8/1. I've been a frozen sleeping vegetable today, other than going out to eat and to the pharmacy. Four more days of coumadin and I close that chapter. When I have surgery in October I'm going to be so much more prepared and it's all because of my wonderful new forum friends......:happydance:

Thank you guys soooo much!!!!
 
Guys I have a question, "How long before the steri-strips come off?" This incision itches like crazy and I want to use the silicone patches to help reduce the appearance of the scar. Has anyone else used these? My PT said that they really work. I think I can also feel the scar tissue because it's sometimes pretty tight when I do my exercises. I definitely can't give up my pain pills, not just yet, but what do most people use when they come off of the meds, Aleve, Tylenol, etc.....:shrug: I tried not taking them yesterday and felt the pain today. Felt really good yesterday like I could climb a mountain or jump a tall building in a single bound.....HA, HA.

My bruise is fading very nicely and the doctor's office said it came from the tourniquet used during the surgery, makes since. Finished the last dose of Coumadin tonight....Amen!!! My stomach is messed up probably because of the stress from my break up with Jack and my wonderful job which keeps bugging the hell out of me. Plus my sister-in-law is dieing from Stage 4 ovarian and breast cancer. She was diagnosed last Christmas and now shes in the hospital. I just realized that I am really depressed. I'm still crying like a baby and I feel so alone.....:cry:
 
Also I have the weird desire to cross my legs.....not sure why but I have to really stop myself from doing it. I cross my left ankle over my right when I'm in the bed . I can't wait until this time next year when I will be completely healed......:happydance:
 
Doupie Please don't cross your legs. I think your left ankle over your right is probably okay, but what the heck do I know. Think I remember reading it.
I just caught up with your thread and want to put your ex on my list of dumb men I would like to run over if they are crossing in front of my car. I started the list when a friend's husband left her during her second pregnancy for someone who looked and acted like a bimbo, though she may indeed have been smarter than we thought-it wouldn't have been hard. Sadly, he never crossed the street in front of me. I had my Oops! down pat.
Take care of yourself-you've had mega stressors recently.
 
Doupie I have used silicon on a hand surgery...great idea to use it on the hip. You cant even see the scar on my hand...it is like magic. My steri strips started falling off after a week or so...with some serious help from oils and fingernails...they ITCHED...couldn't help myself. I left enough on so I thought they would be okay for my first doc visit and the nurse pulled them all off...LOL. Guess I didn't need to worry!
Sounds as if you have a lot on your plate...take care of yourself and schedule some times with the friends who perk you up and are supportive...even if you can't drink wine yet! Keep posting, sending good thoughts your way.
 
LeeApril26 you are wonderful....I can't believe what has happened to me in such a short period of time. Running over him would be a great idea.....:iagree:
nmscienceteacher I have eased three strips off and my incision looks great, she says the will fall off in the shower so I have to stop being so careful not to knock them off. My bruise is fading nicely. I treated myself to a trip to the nail salon, it was fun my old neighbor was there and we laughed our heads off. Today was wonderful and I had no pain except for my knee, which I loosely wrapped with an ace bandage and the pain subsided. The stiffness was gone, it was like everything was working normally. I hope this keeps up, I'm four weeks post-op and can't wait to be four months.....:yay:

It's incredible how good I feel....you guys are awesome and I am soooo glad I found this forum. Thank you, thank you, thank you......:thankyou:
 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom