TKR Hawkie's 2nd Knee

So Happy for you, @hawk2go :yes!:
Your recovery story is certainly an inspirational one...
Good Day. Sunshine. :SUNsmile:

Many of us keep away from kneeling. One of my OSs said that kneeling is one of the worst things you can do to your knees, so there's no reason to hurry.

So a week at the beach has been just what the doctor ordered (except he didn't actually)!

I've been walking and swimming, a lot. I realized I haven't walked on the beach in over 5 years because of knee pain. It's my happy place from way back when I was giving birth and had to have a happy place to visit during the intense labor pains. The beach and I have reconnected. ❤️ ⛱️

Oh, how nice for you to get back to your little piece of Heaven on earth!

also, I got a weird sun rash around the incision. I assume the new skin is more sensitive.

Last edited:
@hawk2go are you putting any kind of cream, oil, or "miracle" salve on your scar? It may have made it sun sensitive.

I try to make sure I put a thick slather of 30 sun screen on my scar if I'm going to be out in the sun a lot. My old scar on the other knee too. Glad you got your happy place back :egypdance:

are you putting any kind of cream, oil, or "miracle" salve on your scar? It may have made it sun sensitive.
I don't use anything special now but did use pure Vit E alternated with CBD ointment earlier in the recovery. That might be a factor.

I do use a spf 50 sunscreen but forgot to do my legs on day 1.

@hawk2go mostlikely the new skin didn’t like the sunshine. Scars . I spend lots of time on the sun and have resorted to a zinc stick (you can get in clear, skin tone or white. I just put a big stripe down the scar. The remodeling phase of scar healing lasts up to two years (I have had a few surgeries) so it isn’t uncommon for the skin to react to different irritants (including sun).

Thanks for that recommendation, @Samsrf. I'm going to get some!!

Thanks @Samsrf. Several years back I had a serious sun allergy, likely related to meds that I no longer take. All that to say, pure zinc was my friend and I'll get some soon for those scars.

In the end, the rest of the leg caught up and I had a decent heat type rash from thigh to foot. It's getting better with minimal treatment and was definitely worth the trouble.:swim:

Just checking in to see how you are doing @hawk2go x

Hey @Sara61! I'm doing great. Just finished a trip to VA and back to drop my grandnugget. Two weeks with that sweet souled 11yo reminded me why young people have kids, hahaha. I had to break the drive over 2 days because the traffic down was ridiculous.

The knee is holding up well and the rash is gone. I still have some occasional knee pains but nothing requiring meds, icing usually calms it down. I feel like I don't have many restrictions at this points (by restrictions I mean activities that hurt while I'm doing them or after). I'm going for a PT evaluation on Monday to see if there are any anomalies from that perspective. My 1 year checkup will be on Sept 19, and I think all will be fine.

It's real good to be getting my life back. :dancy:

I still have some occasional knee pains but nothing requiring meds, icing usually calms it down.
This is good to know as I still have the occasional soreness here and there. It means I'm normal! :dubious:
My 1 year checkup will be on Sept 19
Thanks for the reminder. I'd better call now because I'm sure I won't be able to get scheduled for at least a month+.

It means I'm normal! :dubious:
That may be a leap @Susie-Q :rotfl: Actually, iirc, I had to ice the LTKR for some time into the the 2nd year of recovery and definitely extended some form of pain meds for the 1st year. I have to admit during that recovery, it took a while to learn to allow myself grace and give my knee the break it needed. I pushed way too hard early and often until I learned that time and patience were the keys. The latter I have control over, the former not at all.

Consistently with the RTKR, getting up from the desk after 3-4 straight hours requires a few steps to get the kinks out now and going down stairs reciprocally is not always a smooth operation. Though both activities have improved greatly over time and they seem to be the last of the ADLs to give me any challenge. I hardly ever one step the stairs (only after the occasional ODIC activity) and I've removed the hourly alarm reminding me to stand and walk. I have also starting using my weighted blanket again which really helped my pre-surgery insomnia but it was too heavy for the new knee to manage earlier.

Hi @hawk2go ! You were good having 2 whole weeks with your grandkid! I get tired after having mine for a couple of nights, particularly the granddaughter who talks non stop.
Glad you’re recovering well. I am too, except for nighttime zingers.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back