TKR Hawkie's 2nd Knee

I fell on my right leg (which has had all the surgeries....). Going to take it easy for the rest of the weekend to be sure nothing swells up. :praying:
Hi @benne68 , hopefully all will be well. Looking forward to an update. I'm planning on going for a nice longish bike ride tomorrow and will likely be constantly reminding myself to pay extra attention to curves/turns and uneven surfaces. I don't want to join your, @hawk2go and @BBCG 's club!

All the best for a good outcome!
 
I am reading these posts in accidents & injuries as I sip my morning coffee. ( our sweet little percolator is on its way to another life , that of a water pot for plants...new drip style arrives tomorrow ...).
As I tend to be a bit of a clutz anyway, I’ve been Very careful with “ the knee” as Hawkie & others name it. Also, prior to my surgery, I had several bad falls, being distracted, or just not careful .... one, midway downstairs as I looked out the window on our landing......bent ( rather painfully) and landed onto, that knee. One going out to our garden! My memories of those, and others, were sharp, so I’ve been careful to avoid repeats ( so far).
@hawk2go &@Benne68, for what it’s worth, I’ve been told that a sprain is actually more painful than a break.... maybe because there are ligaments, muscles, etc, involved. Also, learned years ago when our son had a bad sprain playing football ( and then continued to play on it ), that there are degrees of sprain depending on how many ligaments, muscles are involved. Hopefully, you both will heal soon , & be back to normal activities & exercise. But it’s got to be hard to have to slow down!
@BBCG, Goodness! I do occasionally catch the loose sleeve of a warm jacket that I wear around the house, & it can pull papers, etc, off a surface....irritating, but, I will be more careful, lest I fall & injure myself, after your experience. I hope you heal soon, also! And that you aren’t in too much pain. I’m not familiar with Duluth pants, I must look them up. I’ve managed to totally ruin a few favorite jeans over time, due to my clumsiness .... hmmmm.... maybe some of these incidents contributed to the need for my TKR?
Well, my prayers are definitely with all 3 of you, for timely recoveries. I’ll be looking for some good reports soon. Meanwhile, Rest those ankles, knees, and, yourselves. ❤️❤️❤️
 
OK, Hawkie...my turn. Haven’t heard from you in a while, & wondering how you are recovering from your “ adventure” with those stairs. I hope you’re doing well, & just enjoying spring.....
 
I'm baaaaaack! Sorry to hear a few of my buddies are nursing injuries. Hope you're better @BBCG and @benne68.

I'm well. The pain has finally subsided enough for me to resume my recovery rhythm. I'm prophylactically icing every evening and don't need any pain control as long as I pay attention during the activity. My ROM didn't suffer at all over the weeks when I was "resting" The Knee and I'm able to do most of what I was doing before the injury but I have to recondition for stamina.

One of the projects that took my attention away from Bonesmart was to finish writing and art binding a book for my granddaughter's 11th birthday. I started writing it on her 10th birthday. Actually, the opening line is "Name had just finished her birthday cake." What a fun way to distract myself while I recovered from what turned out to be a relatively minor but painful set back.
 
So glad to read that you are doing better, @hawk2go. I ended up with a couple of bruises after my fall, but nothing serious.

LOVE the idea of your special project for your granddaughter's birthday. ( I'm going to steal that idea for if/when I ever have one! :heehee: )
 
Hi, and I’m so glad to hear that you are both doing better, @hawk2go and @benne68 , and hopefully, @BBCG is, also , with her injury. I meant to mention this earlier, but one last thing my therapist reminded me of, with my final session. She told me that the Last 2 things mastered with a TKR are 1. Going downstairs and 2. Balance. I’m doing fine with the stairs. Our house is 2-story, with a lot in our basement....our main freezer in our side by side fridge that would Not fit into the fridge space in the kitchen.(my husband Carefully measured everything prior to moving day, but, the space is not totally Straight, so we have a smaller fridge there); also, my pantry, and, washer & dryer. My sewing machine is upstairs where the bedrooms are. Add to that, I’ve Always been forgetful & easily distracted, & I am up & downstairs a Lot. So that skill has been easily mastered of necessity! But it’s a different story with my sense of balance!! I still regularly get off-balance. And, I tend to be a bit of a klutz, anyway. So I’m back working on some balance exercises my PT gave me. They were always the one I found the hardest to do (?hmmmm), and, hated doing the most. I’m also trying to be really careful after seeing all of your accidents.

Hawkie, your project for your granddaughter sounds delightful! Is she the little girl in your earlier photo? Really a cute little girl. I’ve been meaning to write a little “ journal “ of sorts, for our grandson, about the times we’ve had these past few years, during the Pandemic, as he spent a lot of time with us so that his parents could work from home. I’ll admit, it wasn’t necessarily always easy, having a 4, then 5 year old with us full-time for 2 & 1/2days every week. He’s actually pretty well- behaved in general, but still an energy filled little guy, full of little boy mischief. He’d miss his Mom & Dad at times, & then also miss us at times, after he’d get home. ( some emergency FaceTime calls).... But we would not trade a moment. Grandpa was his coach for online kindergarten when he turned 5. My grocery shopping became Instacart, & he’d always have to greet the amused shopper at the door, wearing a mask. His Mama stayed up half the night before Easter, making him some special candy “ eggs”, as she could not find any locally. Easter morning , he was Thrilled at “ how much the Easter Bunny must love me”. I need to capture those memories, and so many others, & give them to him in a book that he can read, and remember one day. Thanks for that inspiration. You have one lucky little girl.

Well, it is now Tuesday morning, sipping my coffee, & finishing this post. It is beautiful & sunny here, hopefully, not too windy to walk. I’ve been working on doing my exercises, those, and, the walks, seem to make a difference. I’m seeing my surgeon next Friday, post antibiotics, fingers crossed all looks good. I’m hoping this day finds all 3 of you just a little, & maybe, a lot, better in your recovery, both from the mishaps, and, in general. Reading the posts that I can, helps to keep me reminded that this is a year, sometimes more, recovery. In a day of so many things being “ instant”, I think maybe it is a good thing to be reminded that we sometimes have to be patient...not always easy, but, a reminder to “ stop, and smell the roses”. ( in my case, my little narcissuses) . As my sister often says, “ life is good”. Hoping today is a good one for you all.
 
I have definitely missed my buddy....... :friends:Glad to see you back :yes: . Your granddaughter's book is just precious! I'm glad your knee has settled down to your "regular recovery."

@Catalien45 your memories with your grandson are so sweet! :roseshwr:
 
Oh, @hawk2go I LOVE your book idea! My granddaughter also will turn 11 in June, too. She’s not a “thinker” kind of kiddo, she’s more boy-like: high speed, competitive gymnast, going on 18, etc! I’m planning on starting a savings account with her to help her learn some skills on that front, since money she earns goes through her fingertips very fast! But, her mom, my daughter was a cerebral kid and I created/made a photo album for her 16th birthday that she still has…

I saw my ankle doc yesterday and ditched ze boot! Yippee! It doesn’t hurt at all, but my gait took a beating, so I’ll do a few PT gait sessions I think… I’ll be on my feet tomorrow then again on Saturday when we hold a couple of learning sessions at the stores, about Mason bees, in this case. (You know, birds & bees, right… we own a wild bird supply store)

I drive to Portland and back today, 2.5 hours each way and ankle and knee did fine, so whew.

Yeah, the Duluth folks’ ads are a hoot, but these pants have vertical side-of-leg pockets that I can’t do without! My phone is always in the left pocket and the puppy poopy bags sit in the right pocket ‘til needed! So, the puppy bags survived as did the pocket, so I need to reach out to their marketing department now, as I got no response to my funny fan letter!
 
Hawkie, your project for your granddaughter sounds delightful! Is she the little girl in your earlier photo?
I have 6 grandnuggets. 4 girls (15, 11, 7, 7) and 2 boys (11,9). That picture could have been anyone of them because all of the boys have long hair, too. :) :-) (:
I drove down to Charlotte to visit with my son's 3. I split the drive on the way down figuring a straight run would be too challenging. Actually, made it without much trouble with The Knee. I iced at the end of the day. Drove 10 hours with a couple short stops on the way back, again The Knee behaved beautifully. I took long walks in the park and climbed hills and rocks with the kiddos. I swung on swings and jumped and ran. I was a Cub Scout leader and pulled out my cool activities bag of tricks. It was one of those priceless trips, especially after a couple years away from them. My 11yo grandson whispered in my ear as I hugged him goodbye "see you in the summer". My heart just explodes and comes back together bigger than ever to hold all of the love I have for them.
 
My knee had gotten so bad that I was using a cane before I had my TKR. It was a heartwarming day for me when my then 3 year old granddaughter asked "Pawpa, where's your cane?" and I told her "Pawpa got his knee fixed and doesn't need a cane anymore". That was followed by a hug I'll never forget.
.
 
Ah, Hawkie you sound like you are the BEST grandma!! Wish you had been mine!! So glad your trip was so much better than wondered! Will your grand nuggets come spend a week or so with you this summer?

My great aunt was a similar figure in my life and it’s her fault I’m a bird nerd!! She lived in a funky little cabin in the Poconos, right next to a stream, and I used to go to the feed store with her when she would drive her truck, to pick up 80 gallon drums of bird seed! We had to roll it off the truck, and into the bunk house to tip it up to open to get the seed out. After we put seed out in her yard, all sorts of hundreds of birds would fly down out of the trees to make a huge racket while they fed… mostly Evening Grosbeaks, with their raspy warble!

My granddaughter goes to visit my sister in the summers, to LA, where she lives, so these older generation female grands and aunts are super important to kiddos! So glad you’ve got yours to help ease into their lives!!
 
Will your grand nuggets come spend a week or so with you this summer?
Yes! The kids who are stateside will visit with us this summer. I'm a bit behind in making plans but am looking forward to some physical activities that will test my knee. I have 2 girls in Spain and we are Zoom buddies. My way to stay in touch with those girls was to form a tiny book club with them. The book that I wrote was spawned from our convos about other books we read. Those non-parent adult relationships make such a huge difference in fulfilling on a variety of interests and skills. It really does take a village, no matter where the villagers are located.:egypdance:
 
What beautiful posts about grandchildren! Those of us who have them are very fortunate indeed.
 
Hawkie, your trip sounds wonderful! We see our grandson about everyb2 weeks, & FaceTime with them regularly... we can’t wait to have him with us weekly again this summer while his folks both work from home. He’s got all sorts of plans!
And I agree with @kiwi curls, those of us with grandchildren are indeed, lucky. And I loved the description Hawkie gave of her heart. ❤️
 
I wake up every day, brace myself for the inevitable pain in my knee, yet there is none. I'm 9 months today. If you asked me at any point earlier in this recovery, I might not have bet real money that I would ever get here but here I am. The road is long with many a winding turn ... I get by with a little help from my friends. It sure is hard to type through tears ... :spin:

I still have pain when I've done too much. I had that seemingly minor bobble that set me back more than a month. The emotional toll may take a while longer as I deal with some anxiety about tasks I can safely execute. But these new knees are good and I'm really looking forward to working them (with care) well into the future.

If you're reading this, wondering if you'll get here, the odds are greatly in your favor. Patience, commitment to your process, and "listening" to your knee is definitely necessary. Bonesmart is here for you when you need some solid advice or a virtual hug (they are the friends that I referenced above). I look forward to seeing this type of post for you.
 
Happy 9 months, @hawk2go! Congratulations!

I'm past 1 year now and need to make time to go in to update my page, too. I'm glad it rarely bothers you...unless you do more than it's used to, of course...and that's been true for me from about that point on, as well. I'm now back doing our store deliveries, carrying 40-50 pound boxes to the FedEx/UPS stores to ship it out, so the knees are both great now!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom