TKR Happydale got her new knee

I am only 4 weeks out, but I'm doing much better than I was at 2 weeks. So, you will be doing more and more as the weeks go by. Now, it's not so much in pain and it is being achy. You will be thrilled as you improve and add a little more activity every few days. Hang in there. It gets much better!
 
@Happydale I'm so glad you are doing well and your visit with your OS went well.

I agree with you, I'm also tired of elevating, taking pills and specially icing, not having a good night sleep, always being cold, I feel like my internal thermostat is broken ,:ice:being stuck at home, not cooking, etc, but I guess we have earned the right to have a brief pitty party.

Like you said, we have much to be thankful for and overall we are having a pretty good recovery.

My husband went back to work after 5 days, you should be OK by yourself as long as you have someone to help with ice machine, I live in a single story home and use ice packs so it's easier for me in that area.

Keep us posted with your recovery.
 
I second what the others said. You will continue to improve and that will enable you to get out a little more. That helps the cabin fever. Having a friend around also helps. At four weeks I wish I were back to 100% but then remind myself how far I have come and am grateful. No one except this group REALLY understands and we are here for each other.
 
I'm so glad things are improving for you @Happydale! It's a challenge keeping up with all of the recovery needs but at almost 9wks out now I'm finding myself doing things more than recovering! It's just a matter of time for you now!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to all my BoneSmart mentors. Your words of encouragement are a big lift. Usually I'm psychologically and emotionally o.k. with where I am, but it can also be discouraging. I went for a walk outside with my new cane tonight, and I lasted about 5 minutes! It is surprising how much more taxing that is than using the walker. But I'll try to use the cane more and more, and I'm sure it will get easier as time passes.

Clara, thank you for mentioning how cold you are! Me too!!! Those around me are making fun of the way I'm bundled up in blankets. Today I wore long pants, a long sleeve top, and a sweater! And it's nice warm summer weather. What's up with that? Anyway, hearing that you're the same is reassuring. One other thing I want to mention in case it can help someone else: I am using a heating pad or hot water bottle on the top of my leg. It really feels nice. My OS thinks it's a strained quad muscle, and the heat is soothing.
 
Sounds like you're in a good place in recovery. The bluesy feeling is perfectly normal. So are the varied and mobile aches and pains that crop up.

I put my walker away yesterday because I'm not using it during the day anymore, but when I got up for a bathroom run last night, I was amazingly unsteady. I pulled the walker back up for night bathroom trips for a little while longer.

I use a crutch at this point. I like the balance between the walker and a cane. The cane does take a bit more effort than the walker -- a lot more balance work with it. Five minutes outside now. Next week, it will be more. You'll be thrilled.
 
@Happydale I have been cold for the last four weeks. The thermostat is at 80 and it is in the 90's out. I wonder what is up with that too. I walk around the house with a sweater on. I hope my internal thermostat resets itself soon. The only part of me warm is my knee!
 
Has your PT checked to make sure your cane is set at the right height for you? It does make a difference if it's not correct as it can cause you to not be in balance and altering your gait.
 
That's impressive @PolarBear60 - putting your walker aside. After using the cane a bit I go back to the walker and it feels so nice and secure. I will try a crutch today. @newlybionic my PT did adjust my cane, but your post reminded me that she said to adjust it up and down by one notch depending on whether I'm barefoot or have my shoes on. I haven't done that, so maybe it was wrong yesterday. @Floridagal - that's a riot - only your knee is warm. :heehee: You're a couple weeks ahead of me and still cold, so I guess I better be prepared to snuggle in for awhile. I'm so glad I didn't do this in the middle of the winter!
 
I'm sitting here right now wrapped up in a lap blanket! I have a feeling it has something to do with the ice on my warm knee! Just think what our heating would be if this were the winter time! Thank goodness it's not!

I have used a cane when out in the public for the last 25 years. Eventually, I'll have to learn to not use it! It's gonna take a of confidence in my new knee to give that cane up!
 
@sistersinhim you're a cane pro then! It feels so foreign to me. You will feel so free when you can walk without it, and I'm sure that day will come!
 
Happydale yay you on the cane! If you are feeling a little unsure or unsteady using the cane then maybe just use it in your house and use your walker when do your 5 minute stroll outside just until you get more used to it.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The cane will become more natural in time. It is great to keep dogs, rowdy kids and careless people from tripping you up.
 
Yay on the cane milestone. I have been using a cane the last few months. I got the hurrycane, it is much more stable than a regular cane, and not so bulky and clunky as the traditional 4 prong cane.
 
@Happydale so glad I found your thread. I'm always under a sheet and fleece blanket and sometimes a fleece jacket. We have to laugh about this in July! It sounds like you are managing very well and I'm excited about your checkup report. When was your surgery? Sounds like we might be close in recovery. I see my OS tomorrow for my 2-week. Stay warm!
 
Yeah...I'm perpetually cold, especially at night, but there is that icepack.
When you graduate to walking w/o cane, find a nice flat quiet stretch of road, make sure that your hips are doing equal work, it's sort of everything done in little steps.
 
@Happydale it takes a little getting used to the cane, sometimes I walk off without it, then just have to start retracing my steps to find it...I try to use it though, my gait is better when I do:)
 
@sistersinhim I have The Tile on my keys. I can call on my cell phone to find them and if I lose my cell phone I can use The Tile on my keys to find it. It works great for a forgetful person like me. If I thought I'd use the cane full time it would have a Tile too! :)
 
Hey, it couldn't hurt! Where did I leave that thing?!

How are you feeling this morning?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom