Guest viewing is limited

TKR Happydale got her new knee

Sara, I think you've done really well,:thumb::thumb: is good! I know what you mean about finding a balance between getting back to normal activities and knowing when to stop and rest. I find it very easy to overdo without realising, except that then my knee tightens up and says "enough".
Don't forget healing will continue for many months yet, so more improvement is in store :yes!:
Tabby xxx
 
That is such a good report.

I'm glad you are doing so well!!!
 
Sara, great report. I find I have to pay attention to my form for going up and down stairs, but they are becoming easier, and more natural. Standing from a low seat is still a challenge, but it's not excruciating. It's not really even painful at this point, but I haven't found a way to do it "naturally" yet. It will come. More faithfully performing my home PT exercises should help, because they are designed specifically to help that troublesome area.

You probably need to "slow down" and focus on bending your knees a little more to preserve your back. You may not be ready to make the bends you need, but when you think about it, you'll find a way to be safe with your back.
 
Good report! I'm a retired high-school teacher and can't even imagine going back now, so I think you're being realistic about not taking that job. Your recovery has to be the most important thing now.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
I'm even starting to think about the possibility of doing this all over again next summer for my left knee.

Perhaps we'll do our left knees together at the same time Sara-!! So happy things are going so well for you~!
 
@Suz, that would make it easier to face if we ante up for round 2 together! @TML, I notice how many educators are on this site - I wonder if we are just more likely to be folks that seek out resources such as BoneSmart, or if the careers we've had are especially hard on the body and cause us to need more new knees than the average person?? I do think about all the hard surface flooring I've traversed during my 35 working years, and all the school staircases I've climbed day in and day out.
 
  • Agree
Reactions: TML
Interesting question. I was a teacher before becoming an OT. I noticed there are lots of medical people here too. I think it is because we search out resources to help when we need them. I am convinced that arthritis is due to some quirky body chemistry. My left thumb was worse than my right and I am right handed. It couldn't be from over use.
 
Farm Girl's are also primary targets for abused joints, haha! I"m not an educator per-say but I have taught Sunday school and drove a school bus when I was in high school. Do I count? :heehee: And I totally agree flooring adds an aggravating component to it Sara.
 
For me, it's genetics and teaching on concrete floors. In my next life, I'll get a sit down computer job. But then I'd probably get carpal tunnel! :loll:
 
  • Funny
Reactions: Suz
Mine was genetics. I got it from both sides of my family! And to add to it, I grew up being a very active tomboy!
 
Hi Happydale. I'm glad your knee recovery is going well. I remember your comment on bone broth a while back and bookmarked it. I happened across some beef bones in the grocery store yesterday and decided to give it a try. They have some meat on them...not much. Is that Ok? I'll follow your recipe exactly. Just have to go to the store and pick up the veggies. It'll take a few days but I look forward to it. Do you just drink it?
While my neighbors sit out in the sun drinking themselves to oblivion, I'll be sipping my bone broth!
:martini:
 
Hi Happydale, just finished reading your complete recovery thread. So much good advice here, and so happy to read of a recovery where things fell into place. I'm a fellow Michigander, live on Beaver Island. Mine will be done in Midland. Thanks for so much detail, it truly is helpful.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom