TKR Happydale got her new knee

@Floridagal wow I woke up, gathering my thoughs and was thinking the same thing. @Happydale where ya been, we miss your upbeat posts. Hope you doing so well you are too busy :)

Hope you stop by soon and say hi :flwrysmile:

Aww, it warmed my heart to finally check back in here and see your welcoming comments, Amy Jo and Diane. Thank you. I can't believe how long it has been since my last post. I had especially wanted to document my recovery this way so I could look back over how things went when it's time for my next new knee. And now I'll have a 2 week gap. My absence from BS has been due to actually living my life, so there is nothing wrong here except for time management problems. :heehee:

I have just passed the 6 week point and visited my OS yesterday. Both he and my PT have told me that my recovery has been extremely smooth. This is not news to me, as I realize that I have so many blessings to count. It does cause me to wonder why this is the case. I'll share my theories, but probably the truth is that it's somewhat the luck of the draw. I was definitely prepared for way worse going into this journey. So here's what I think:
  1. Although I felt very handicapped and painful before surgery, I guess I wasn't nearly as bad as some. I had almost full extension pre-surgery, and I had no previous surgeries.
  2. My OS is a rock star in my opinion. He does over 300 knee replacements/year and he uses patient-centered, research proven practices such as: a pain pump catheter I controlled that was installed in my leg, glue rather than stitches or staples, nearly anal infection prevention techniques such as not even allowing nurses at the hospital to uncover my bandages (only his PA was allowed to look, not that he didn't trust the nurses but he wanted to limit the different germs), and not using a catheter simply due to infection risk. I took aspirin for blood clot prevention rather than shots. Not having a catheter also forces the patient to move around more preventing blood clots. He gave me written instructions before the hospital that explained my role in infection prevention, including telling the staff to wash their hands upon entering my room.
  3. I had some of my favorite people in my life to help me post surgery. While I appreciated and needed their physical help, I really believe the most important service they provided was to help lift my spirits and keep me laughing. There is no better cure for pain than being distracted. They also helped to think for me when I was too foggy to think for myself. For example, they would chastise me for moving in certain dangerous ways. They made sure to keep me iced and elevated way more than I would have managed on my own.
  4. And then lastly, I had the BoneSmart advantage, which ALL of you reading this have as well!! Because of all the time I spent reading on BS, I was so knowledgeable about the whole process. I knew what to expect, what I needed to do, and where to go to get great advice. Because of the advice of all my friends here, I was determined to find the "sweet spot" between being too sedentary and doing too much. Obviously this spot is different for everyone, but I managed to find that balance for myself by being careful to stop right before joining the Over-Did-It Club. From the start I did the PT, but I did so cautiously and with my own controls in place. I pause here to offer my debt of gratitude for those of you who shared what you did to overdo it. You helped me avoid making the same mistake!

So to describe my current situation: I'm off of all pain drugs, except for an occasional Tylenol if I wake up in the middle of the night. I can walk around the house without a cane, although I'm using it when I go out. I can walk around my block, which takes about 20 minutes with no rest. I started driving yesterday, after I got permission at the doctor. I probably could have been driving for quite some time, but I was chicken. I went to the farmers' market and a grocery store this week. I took my walker to the market, because it has a built in seat which I used to carry my purchases. At the grocery store, using the grocery cart for balance was sufficient. I have begun more ambitious cooking, which is an amazing delight for me. Yesterday I managed to make from scratch baba ganoush, hummus, pita bread, grilled marinated skirt steak, chimichura sauce with herbs I picked, fresh corn on the cob, and roasted broccolini for 5 of us. Yes, I felt tired afterwards and the others cleaned up after dinner, but I didn't "pay for it" last night. I was in the kitchen on and off throughout the day with rests in between. This felt like a delightful accomplishment to me!! It also suggests another good reason to have this surgery in the summer - better local food for us northerners. My nights are now improved too. I do wake up a couple times, I still grab for my ice pack at 2 a.m. on occasion, and I still can't stay on my side for more than an hour or so. But I am getting more sleep during the night, and I dread bedtime a bit less than I have previously.

In some ways this 6 weeks has gone quickly, and in other ways it has been a long slow haul. Sometimes I'm very sick and tired of not being fully functional. Sometimes I am weary of feeling discomfort in my new knee. Frequently I'm worried about something - infection?? was that a stumble?? did I just do something that hurt my knee?? should I have walked this far from home before heading back?? Please realize that as soon as I'm fully recovered from this, I will press on with worries in some other area of my life - I'm a worrier at heart!! I am making a note now to rejoice when the day arrives that I'm no longer worried about my knee and it can fade into the background of my consciousness where it belongs. I realize I have a ways to go before that happens, but I believe I am making progress.

As always, my apologies for being so long-winded. I don't think I'm like this in person!!

@Happydale such a great report, I'm so happy for you. It is a great feeling to be able to, once again, be able to do the things that we enjoy without having painful consequences later, it's nice to have a little control over our lives again.:happydance::spin::egypdance:

Don't be a stranger :flwrysmile:

I am so glad I was right , for a change ;) and that you WERE too busy living to be here. But I am sure glad to see you back and absolutely delighted about your progress. Especially as my adventure draws closer by the minute.

Wow, I LOVE what you cooked. I LOVE baba ganoush, and wonder how many reading this will even know what it is *smile* . I LOVE hummus too, and in fact just got back from meeting a friend who just came back from New York, where they have Wegmans supermarkets that carry a brand of hummus that makes 4 dessert flavors and she brought some back for me, snickerdoodle, brownie batter, cookie dough, and orange ginger.. You are quite the gourmet chef.

I am so so happy for you!

Thanks for the great update report, @Happydale .
It sounds as if you have had great help and you've been very sensible about your recovery. Well done! :yay: :flwrysmile:

What a wonderful and encouraging report! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Like @dianehelen, I was *drooooooling* reading what you cooked. That sounds delicious. I love hummus! I haven't made my own, but will once I'm on my feet. I love Whole Foods hummus with carrots and pita chips. So good. My daughter's boyfriend is Greek and is an amazing cook. I wish I could fly them up for the cooking :snork: (that and they're just awesome kids)!

Happydale, we're at similar points in our recoveries and with minor exceptions, seem to recovering similarly. Your summary of what got you to a smooth recovery makes sense. Keep up the good work.

Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005

Mmm... Can I come to your house for tea? Mind you, I don't know what some of those things are but you make them sound delicious. I made cherry cookies today, the first baking I have done since the op, but at least I made an effort.
This is difficult surgery but I am so happy that you have had an almost textbook recovery and I'm sure others reading your thread will learn from and be helped by your experience. And thanks for your friendship and support along the way.
Tabby xxx

Wonderful report! I could relate to so much you wrote, especially the last paragraph. It makes me so happy to see that you have had a smooth uneventful recovery. We need to hear these stories as well as those who have had difficulties. It puts things in a proper perspective. May your recovery continue smoothly and quickly!!!

What an uplifting story about your recovery..and your amazing support circle at home. What good fortune.
I used to make my own baba ghonoush when my kids were still at home...not so much lately. I basically prefer my own hummus, which is so easy to make. I can adjust the flavor just so, to suit me. The baba requires roasting the eggplant first.....lots of steps. But I love it.

Your report is so positive and I especially like your reflections. We're quite close in recovery, along with @PolarBear60, and it's comforting to read each other's posts. I have learned so much from this forum!

Love your recovery story! And I'm glad your not being here meant you were just getting back to living, and not having any problems. Keep us posted on how things continue!

Thanks to all of you for your kind and affirming comments. I feel such a closeness with all of you and many others here on BoneSmart. It's like the guys who were trapped down in the mine together, survived and then bonded for life! After you've been through our TKR experience with each other, being from all walks of life from all over the globe makes no difference. We be sisters & brothers now!
Sending out love to all of you! :roseshwr:

Last edited by a moderator:
That's darling, Diane! Perfect depiction of my thoughts. I envy your technical skills - you are so good at sharing all kinds of media on here.

@dianehelen thanks for sharing. What a treat right now at 2:00 am, when I can't sleep!

I decided it's time to report "home" to BS with an update about my condition. I'm surprised that I've now passed the 2 month milestone. In some ways it's felt like a long haul, but really I can't believe it's been 2 months already. I was supposed to go to PT for 3 months, but my PT dismissed me last Thursday. She gave me exercises to continue, many of which I should probably do the rest of my life. I was SO happy to be done with PT! I think it helped me, but I also think I might be right at the same place even if I hadn't done it. At least I'm convinced that the way I did it did not hurt me. I didn't allow anything that was painful, and I often revised down their directions about the number of repetitions.

I'd say my biggest issue right now is trying to keep my activity level in check. Now that I've resumed many of my regular activities, I find it hard to control the amount of time I'm up and about. I can feel my knee when it's time to sit down and put my legs up, and I'm trying very hard to listen to that! When I ignore it, I wouldn't say I have pain - but I do see some swelling and experience discomfort.

My second current issue is to try to pay attention to my body mechanics. I have put my back out several times, and that is from bending over with improper posture. I do this without thinking to avoid bending my knees when I need to pick up something or pet my little dogs. I also tend to twist my torso to avoid moving my legs. I am supposed to move my feet to pivot - which I seem to have trouble remembering!

Yesterday, sadly, I decided to turn down work that was offered to me. Although I'm retired, I sometimes fill in for school principals during their absence. I enjoy doing that, but I decided that I'm just not ready physically or mentally to give it my all. It's not a job that can be done well without a lot of energy.

So all in all, I'd give TKR a two thumbs up. I'm even starting to think about the possibility of doing this all over again next summer for my left knee. In the meantime, I'm wondering where I'm going to store all this recovery equipment! I'm ready to start de-cluttering my house of all this post-surgery "stuff". :yes!:

That's a great report. You are doing well. You've been very good at listening to your body and not pushing too hard. You found the correct balance for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Flag100
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom