TKR Happydale got her new knee

Here's my current update, as tomorrow will be one week post-op. So much has happened in these 6 days! My pain is usually well controlled. When it starts ramping up with this burning pain, I go into a panic and cry - not because it hurts that much, but because I'm afraid I won't get it under control. My sweet sister (more on her later) helps me problem solve. Thus far, we've always been able to change something to help it subside. I find that either changing my position or getting up a bit can help, and of course ice sometimes helps. Other times when the pain is burning the ice makes it feel worse - counter intuitive. Just distracting myself with a movie or TV show helps settle things down.

Now for the good stuff. I was trying to count how many health care professionals have participated in my care thus far. From the hospital admissions, pre-op nurse, doctors, PA, OR nurses, and then 3 shifts per day of floor nurses and nurse assistants (and none of them were repeats for the 3 days I was there), plus 2 hospital and 2 home PTs, plus an OT and a social worker and a nurse practitioner from my doctor's office. Lots of folks. In that entire huge group, every single person was wonderful - knowledgeable, compassionate, professional and helpful. They have made such a difference to me. My hats off to all these folks who do this day in and day out and manage to treat patients like individuals. Here's a funny example since we don't have off-limit topics here at BoneSmart: I have a raised toilet seat, and the seat is about 6 inches above my regular toilet seat. We had to tape a bed pad to the front so pee wouldn't hit the floor! (didn't work too well!) When the PT asked to see my bathroom, she saw that and cracked up. It turns out there was a big plastic "hat" still in the box that is specifically designed for that purpose. Problem solved.

My sister is a bit like the captain on the Sound of Music, blowing whistles and barking orders. I've taken to calling her Sargent. She has job assignments she has allocated to my partner, herself, and even my 86 year old mother. She controls my pain meds like she's guarding Fort Knox, and doles them out EXACTLY according to her carefully orchestrated chart. She gets super mad if I don't call her in the night for help. She has power strips in each location I sit (3 of them) so she can tote my ice machine from place to place. She's like "Time for ELEVATION!" and hoists my leg up in the air. "Time for lunch!", "No more pajamas, you're getting dressed like a real person" and then her favorite "Don't move like that! Always center the walker directly in front of you before moving forward" and "No, you are not getting in the shower by yourself!!" All of these commands I take in stride and with appreciation for the level of care she is giving me. My partner is assigned to: laundry, garbage, dog care, groceries, food prep, drug store runs, etc. So I'm living in a tightly run ship, but seeing the benefits each day.

Our weather has been lovely, and I've been enjoying sitting outdoors. I still enjoy my morning coffee, my pups, conversations with visitors, showers, and as of last night, eating real human food. Each day offers much to enjoy - it's not all misery and agony as I imagined before surgery. Phew!
 
The nurses at the hospital are much like your sister. Is she a nurse? I got yelled at for getting out of bed without calling them. They put an alarm on my bed so that if I tried again they'd be there. Of course, I tried again because I didn't know about the alarm and I got scolded more severely a second time.

It's great that life is getting a little easier and you have such competent people to care for you!
 
Sara, this had me in stitches! :rotfl: 2 of my sisters are nurses and the rest of us are worker bees leaning in on all their expertise, because they really do know best. Angels among us. Anyway, it totally reminded me of my family and just made me smile :). Does sound like you've got things under control (potty flub aside) hehe. I hope everything keeps going well.
 
You are very lucky you have help...my husband gets mad, also, because I do things on my own instead of asking him to do them for me, I have always been like that, if I really need help I will ask him for it, but otherwise I'm doing it. When I get up in the morning I shower, what on ordeal not being able to get knee wet, and get dressed, I will not wear pj's all day, I feel better when I'm dressed.

Love the toilet seat story, lol
 
Sounds like you have had the best of care in hospital and now you are home as well, all bound to give you the best possible start to your recovery. I'm thrilled for you :yahoo:
Tabby xxx
 
When it starts ramping up with this burning pain, I go into a panic and cry - not because it hurts that much, but because I'm afraid I won't get it under control.

I SO remember those times Sara! And it occurred in the first few weeks. As each day passes your knee heals a little more and soon your confidence will help soothe the run-away emotions!

Wow, your Sister is AWESOME! Have you got room there for those of us out here that would love that standard of care? LOL!!

I'm happy you have such a wonderful support team around you. You deserve it sweet lady!

:elevate: :chillpill: :ice: :zzz::zzz::zzz:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Happydale it sounds like you are doing great! And how blessed you are to have such wonderful help! It's nice to have someone keep everything all organized for you, so all you have to worry about it healing!
 
It sounds as if you're doing well. I'm glad you have someone to help.

However, in a few more days it will be time for you to take over some of the things your sister is doing. Doing things for yourself is part of your recovery therapy. Meanwhile, enjoy being looked after.
 
I'm very glad you're doing so well. Since I'm a nurse I made a terrible patient. The nurses in the hospital were fine but I laughed out loud at the PT who threatened me with a MUA on the day after surgery. I set my own schedule at home and my family all move backed to their own homes a week after my surgery. Enjoy the care.
@Floridagal I let the staff know that they shouldn't bother to set the alarms because I knew how to turn them off anyway!
 
raised toilet seat, and the seat is about 6 inches above my regular toilet seat. We had to tape a bed pad to the front so pee wouldn't hit the floor! (didn't work too well!) When the PT asked to see my bathroom, she saw that and cracked up. It turns out there was a big plastic "hat" still in the box that is specifically designed for that purpose.


I can relate. I had the exact same issue with my hip replacement. But my commode did not come with the hat. I had to have my husband run down to the medical supply store and get a universal sleeve. Where did I find out about such a thing? Yep, Bone smart, some wize person suggested it

Im glad you are mostly doing well. I just hope your pain gets under better control.
 
We will look back on these days and have such good laughs at the crazy things we've done!
 
You are all so great, my BoneSmartie friends. I'm so glad to be able to share this journey with such fine souls.
 
@Happydale
I've enjoyed reading your escapades! I don't get on the website but once or twice a week - takes a lot right now to set up the computer where I need to type - but I read everyone's adventures on my phone, especially at 4AM! Hope you are doing well!
 
I am amazed at how well I'm doing. I have not had any oxy since leaving the hospital, and my pain has been very well controlled with Tramadol and Tylenol (thank you @Josephine!) I am shocked at that! And I really think leaving the oxy behind has helped me to avoid a number of other issues - bowel problems, fuzzy headedness, and mostly nausea. I hated the nausea so much that I thought I'd rather have pain. Now I have neither! My nights have gone well - I do get up every 1.5-2 hours, but I find that moving around a bit feels good to my knee, and I'm able to go right back to sleep after my little walk. I ice nearly all night long. Also, my PT showed me how to properly elevate. It was way more extreme than I was doing. She told me to lay my torso down flat and then put my legs up for 30 min. It's not that comfy, but it immediately helped with swelling, and that in turn helps with pain. My appetite is coming back slowly, so I quit with the Naked Juice protein shakes, and moved on to real grown up food - just small portions.

Lastly, I want to share about my increasing ability to move. At first, every time I had to lift my leg into bed or up on the pillows I would wince. Now it doesn't hurt nearly as much, and I think it's because my muscles are doing a bit of the work. Yesterday, without thinking, I actually swung my surgery leg up into bed without any assistance. I used to hold my leg out straight when I sat down, and now I'm comfortable bending a bit at the knee. I used to pick up the walker and set it down with each step, and now I can glide along. I celebrate each of these little victories!

In the meantime, my caretakers are enjoying this opportunity to run my household according to their preferences, not mine. They tease me about how picky I am about preparing my recycling (like I wash my yogurt containers before recycling - I don't think that's picky, do you??). So now they are tossing their messy pizza boxes and corked wine bottles right into the recycling!! Horrors to me, and they just say "What 'cha gonna do about it, Sara?" Furthermore, they don't believe in washing the dog food dishes each day. My poor doggies! I'm adjusting to letting these behaviors slide, on account of them giving their lifeblood to help me out. I'm so lucky.
 
Tramadol and Tylenol (thank you @Josephine!) I am shocked at that! And I really think leaving the oxy behind has helped me to avoid a number of other issues - bowel problems, fuzzy headedness, and mostly nausea.
I am pleased to hear that but have bad news for you - Tramadol causes constipation too! Just be proactive about it! Constipation and stool softeners
They tease me about how picky I am about preparing my recycling (like I wash my yogurt containers before recycling - I don't think that's picky, do you??).
No I do not! The very idea of putting yukky stuff in the recycling is ...well, yukky!! Our local authority has this advice on line for local residents:
Q: Do I need to wash things first?
A: We ask you to rinse plastic bottles, cans and glass bottles and jars. Rinsing out bottles, jars and cans reduces residue building up in your bin, preventing smells and reducing the need to clean it out. It also helps prevent contamination of the recyclable materials in your bin.
 
Aren't these little successes uplifting? I, too, can now lift my leg up onto the bed without using a lifter. I'm still trying to sleep on my sides and last a few minutes longer than before. Yes, it's the little things!
 
A great report from you today. So very glad to hear how well you are doing. Maybe in a week I will be able to echo some of your
Recovery.
 
We have to rinse items for recycling, too. We can dump all types of recycling into one bin, which is helpful. With our drought, I'll toss some things instead of using too much water to clean (like peanut butter). If a small amount of water doesn't clean it, forget it.
 
Absolutely rinse everything before recycling - oh and @LoveGiants a little rinsing peanut butter jars or anything like that - put water in the jar and some paper towel. Let it sit for a bit and the give it a good shaking and the yuck comes out without wasting a ton of water.
Sara, another great day for you! So wonderfully awesome girlfriend lifting your leg up and not even noticing you were doing it :yes!:
 
Thanks for the tip, Josephine. I was going to skip my prescribed stool softener pill, but now I've thought the better of it. Better safe than sorry.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom