Guest viewing is limited

TKR Happydale got her new knee

I smile with your progress. May everything continue to move forward smoothly. Oh, yes, I always wash my recycle items - alas, the dog bowl doesn't get a daily bath. The dog doesn't seem to care.
 
You're one of my role models, @Floridagal! You've been very brave, and you cracked me up watching a math show to put you to sleep - who knew there was such a thing?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Just read your story of your "Sergeant" sister. :heehee: She sounds great. I like that bit about "no more pajamas." I always got dressed--ok, shorts and a tshirt--but it did make me feel more like "a real person." :)
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
I realized I'm past due for a State of the Knee report. I guess this is day 12, and I'd describe my recovery as humming along. Before surgery, I envisioned myself lying in bed for weeks on end, moaning and drooling and unable to put together a sentence. I put a bell by my nightstand, half assuming I wouldn't have the strength to dial my cell phone for assistance. I could go on and on here! I'm happy to report that the reality is quite the contrary. Every day since my arrival home has entailed a majority of totally comfortable and enjoyable time. People have stopped by to share a good laugh, I've got a "nest" outside on my deck (thank you God for great weather these last two weeks in Michigan), taking a shower feels absolutely heavenly, and I have a good excuse to not accomplish anything for days on end. It's really quite lovely.

My knee is now very black and blue, and I have that 'ole scar to stare at. To me it doesn't look terribly swollen, but it's hard to tell. My "good" knee was so swollen before surgery that it's not a fair comparison. The exercises the PT gave me last Thursday seemed impossible, and I was thinking "that's not going to happen" as she was explaining them. Surprisingly I did a couple repetitions, and a couple more the next day. When I did them today I was happy with how much easier they seem now. She'll visit again tomorrow, so I will be glad to get her assessment. She said she'd teach me to use a cane. But wait, there's more: getting in and out of bed, and on and off the toilet, and in and out of a chair are all practically pain-free!

My sister/sergeant/caretaker/angel is holding up well. I really admire her patience, especially when she's walking behind me at a snail's pace, or fetches my computer from upstairs or downstairs for the umpteenth time. Sadly, she informed me recently that she is not planning to move in with me. She lives in Ohio, and probably is longing for her regular life there. That bad news was followed with great news - my close friend from Texas is coming Sunday for a 12 day visit. She works remotely, so she plans to still work 8 hours/day while she's here, but it makes me feel better having her on hand 24/7 in case of emergency. She's one of the few people I don't mind getting help from in the shower. Plus, it will give me an emotional lift. Yet another example of how this experience has been far from all bad!!

Just to show you how important BS has been to me, I had a dream last night that we all had a get-together. Wouldn't that be great if it was really true? What cracks me up about the dream is that we called each other by our "screen names" - such as Hi At Tabbycat, how are you? and Would you please pass the peanuts At Barn Mom 22? :rotfl:
[Bonesmart.org] Happydale got her new knee
[Bonesmart.org] Happydale got her new knee

In closing, it's time I show you how cute and attentive my doggies are. They are being so gentle with me, but they are almost always staring at me or by my side. I'm surprised at how many of us have pets. Maybe they motivated us to get our knees fixed in the first place. Dogs like to be walked, for example! Again, thanks to all of you for the huge role you are playing in helping me through this rough chapter in my life!
 
How lovely to read your last report, I'm really happy things are going so well for you! I loved seeing your snugly pups, they look like great company, what are their names?
It's funny how we dream about what's been on our mind, but I've often thought how if it were possible to all meet up, we'd be instant friends because of what we have shared and experienced together.
Keep up the good work :yahoo:
Tabby xxx
 
Fantastic post!!! Just perfect. But what should I wear to the get together?
 
I'd love to come to that gathering too! Hurrah, for supportive family and good friends. We are truly blessed.
 
I'm so glad you are doing well, it does get easier as long as we don't over do it, my whole body is quick to remind me when I do.

Super cute dogs!
 
Tell me where and when and I'll be there! @Happydale you are doing amazingly! I can't say I'm pain free yet getting up and down, but it's sure a lot better than it was last week! I love your babies' photos. They do help us to get back to normal faster. And they are such a comfort!
 
I'm in for a gathering as long as we can either go across the pond or those members there come here! = )
 
Sounds like our poor friends across the pond are in a bit of a political turmoil right now. They better come here for the reunion!
 
We should all wear shorts or skirts since we will have to compare incisions! :heehee:

Your white dog looks very similar to one of mine. She actually climbs up on me and gives me a hug! One paw on each side of my neck and nuzzles me with her nose.
 
Count me in, we can start something new TKR conventions!!!
 
  • Agree
Reactions: Suz
That was the best thing to wake up to . read. I really love the comparison of what you envisioned, to what you experienced. Gives me great hope.

As for a live get together for internet friends who meet over a common interest, I have done that many times with different groups. As a matter of fact my two closest friends both live in MD and IA , and we met 12 years ago on Golden Retriever forum. When I was working I traveled alot and got to meet many internet friends. Then in 2012 when I was dx with breast cancer, I found a wonderful facebook group of women, and we meet for a weekend twice a year, Chicago in spring, Orlando in autumn. It's absolutely wonderful to meet friends from all over to share a common bond. Admittedly it would be a bit more of a challenge for n international group. But maybe smaller regional gatherings , I see quite a few of in within a 50 or 100 mile radius in Florida.

I love that you are getting along so well so soon. I adore you furry kids. Dogs make life so much happier don't they?

Keep having better & better days my Michigander friend (btw in October our "pink" weekend, a friend from Temperance MI will be coming)

:yahoo:
 
Just wanna say your dogs are a huge upgrade, looks-wise, over my dog, Lemon...so named as she was the last of the litter.
 
I saw my doctor this morning for my 2 week check up, so I decided it was time for an update to BS on my current condition. On the downside, I'm already getting sick of recovery and want to be recovered! I'm tired of pills, waking up at night, my knee hurting, relying on others, staying home, and not cooking. According to the paperwork from my doctor, he expects me to be "totally disabled" for 10 more weeks, after which I could return to work (not an issue since I'm retired). It scares me to think of how tired I'll be of all these things at that point!

Fortunately, I have a lot of brighter news to report. I'm able to move around a bit more, and I've begun practicing with a cane. My doctor didn't measure my flexion or even ask me to bend as far as I could. He just looked at the way I was sitting in a chair and said he was happy with my bend at this point. Phew! I was a bit worried about some pain I'm having around the top of my leg, right where it attaches to my torso. He checked my hip movement, and said it looks fine. Apparently these little aches can crop up anywhere, including the back and other leg & hip, just because of how we move and compensate for the surgery knee. He seemed comfortable that everything is coming along fine, and that makes me feel relieved.

I have to say goodbye to my sister on Sunday (so sad!), and hello to my friend Lyn from Texas (so excited!). I will need to be more independent under Lyn's care, because she will be working full time from my house. Still, I'm glad to have her here, and to know that she can help in an emergency. I am sleeping upstairs and living downstairs, so I really need someone to lug my ice machine and frozen ice bottles upstairs each day and night.

All things considered, I have so much to be thankful for. My general assessment at this stage of the game is: "I'm good".
 
Good to hear. Just wish this whole process was a shorter recovery. But good to hear that you are doing pretty well, all things considered.
 
You will not be the same as you are during the next ten weeks. You will start to be doing more and more as time goes by. Maybe it will come as making an easy dinner or going out for a quick lunch or going to the grocery store for a few things. Just think how far you've come in just two weeks. You're on your way now.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom