Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy to be past the surgery

@Freyagirl happy to hear things are going so well.

I had really bad knee pain prior to my THR. I knew I had arthritis but I was thinking am I going to need a TKR right after this? It dawned on me one day after the THR that my knee wasn't hurting. My THR was 5 years ago on 8 July.

The knee did start acting up in the last year, just had surgery (12 Jun) to repair torn meniscus and plica as well as repair two stress fractures. Seems its the benefits of aging. :heehee: But, yours may just stay the same and be an annoyance. :fingersx:
 
I took my granddaughter shopping for clothes for her birthday. Not online, but in stores for two hours. It was so fun to watch her shop and try on new styles now that she has graduated to the “junior” sizes (XS). She has a good sense of fashion and is super fit from gymnastics so I think she is adorable in everything. She asked a lot of questions about hip replacements and was interested in seeing the X-ray. She is part of a generation who thinks nothing unusual about bionic parts. It was another fun step in my week by week improvement.
 
Sounds like a great day with your granddaughter, @Freyagirl! Happy those new hips are giving you the freedom to enjoy time with her.
:SUNsmile:
 
:yes: Love these real life updates!
 
5.5 and 3.5 months from having each hip replaced and I gave myself a pedicure including nicely polished toenails. I managed by putting my feet up on a low foot stool and sitting on a solid chair. It’s summer sandal season and I was determined to have pretty toes to go with my fancy new hips. I haven’t been able to do this for two summers as my hips were too sore prior to surgery. Day by day I get back activities that I lost to bad hips. It’s wonderful.
 
Glad to hear you're recovering so nicely! I broke down and got a pedicure today-- I'm 14 weeks out-- so now of course I'm terrified that I'll get an infection. My salon uses the plastic liners and sterilized instruments, but I know the tubes can harbor bacteria. Why do I always jump to worst case scenario? Enjoy your summer in Minnesota, I believe? We're headed to Norway for 2 weeks on Wednesday and Minnesota is like the Norway of the Midwest!
 
I keep referring folks to this site from Facebook pages where so many of the questions are answered without factual information. Thanks for continuing to keep the website open. My balance and stamina continue to improve. I am enjoying and benefiting from water aerobics a couple times a week. It’s the best exercise for my somewhat overweight body and arthritic SI joint. I still can’t stand for very long without back pain. I’m giving my back the summer to improve with the additional exercise and replaced hips. Then, if I still have on back pain it’s time to chase down some solutions. Since the pain is so much less than the former hip pain I still feel amazingly well and enjoy my new activity level. Summer has been great.
 
@Freyagirl Thank you for the support and referrals. I, too, find myself correcting misinformation about joint replacement and circling back to BoneSmart.

It seems that once we discover that arthritis is our (unwanted) companion in later years, it sometimes seems to be pervasive. I relate to the back issues as well. I did investigate all my "problem children" (hips, shoulder, and back) last year. The only one that is escaping a timeout in the OR, is the back. Lol. That one, the kind doc said I had plenty of easy-to-do options first, which was a relief. You still have to deal with the pain as you can until you can't anymore. Been there, done that, right?

I love the water for exercise. I end my swims with a back float. It's my zen for my spirit and the one time I have no pain in my body. A real win-win. So glad your healing is going so well and you're enjoying life again. Blessings.
 
My daughter-in-law and kids have gone on a two-week vacation and left me with their two dogs. One is a 12 year old dog who mostly wants to nap by my feet but the two-year-old dog is full of energy. it’s going to be a real test of my new mobility to deal with this active dog. He has been to obedience training, and he understands the concept of walking by my side and listening, but we have many squirrels in our neighborhood, and he is eager to play with them. Most of the dog walking will be done by my other grandson who is not on vacation. My balance and strength are still progressing and I am very careful with that active dog, pulling on his leash. Mostly I am just clipping him to a tie-out anchored to a post on the front of my deck. I do love these guys and it is going to be fun to have their company as well as the daily company of my grandson, who will earn a little money for the dog walking. Bending up and down to fill water bowls and food bowls is also giving the new hip so work out. The whole exercise, however, is definitely showing me where I still have some distance to go before my new hips are ready for everything they could do prior to my surgery. The good news is I have no trouble sleeping after a day of so much activity.
 
@Freyagirl sounds like you definitely have a good plan for that 2 year old who's basically still a puppy. And I'm thinking your grandson will appreciate a little cash in his pocket for helping dog walk. Its good that you see improvement but that you're also paying attention to your body on those things that still need some improvement. Sounds like you're definitely getting there. Ah sleep, the ever sweet sleep that we all wanted during recovery. Happy to hear that your increased activity is getting you good nights sleep! :friends:
 
We started out yesterday with the dog I call, “crazy dog”, yanking the leash out of my hand to go chase a squirrel. He hadn’t had breakfast yet, so he was willing to come when I called for breakfast. My plan for the tie out was a problem because my daughter-in-law forgot to bring it. She also forgot the pinch collar that makes taking him for a walk even possible. A trip to her house solve the problems and I got the tie-out set up. I had a lovely afternoon with “crazy dog” clipped to the tie-out and the old dog just sleeping on my feet as I sat on the lawnchair. I was busy congratulating myself when a squirrel came by. Crazy dog took off like a shot and yanked the anchor out of the ground. He then ran behind the house into bushes and a retaining pond and got himself completely tangled up. The pond is down a rather steep grade which I was able to carefully navigate. I got down to the bottom and managed to get crazy dog close enough to the edge so I didn’t need to get wet. I unclipped him from the tie out cable, and tried to untangle the cable while holding onto the dog. The old dog came down to help out by trying to sit on my lap. Fortunately, my husband heard my hollering and cursing and came to provide help. Now the cable is wound around a structural post which will pull the house down if crazy dog sees another squirrel. The good news is it only took an ice pack and an hour for me to be able to move around again. So ended the first day.
 
There are memes about having two dogs- one is angelic and the other is mischievous. Mine fit that description but will switch roles depending on the circumstances. I am pup sitting for my son in October- thank heavens for a fenced backyard. I may need to stock up on wine. Glad everything worked out for you!
 
Oh my goodness, I'm sorry, but envisioning that story had me laughing! It's certainly a testament to your tenacity and strength!
What an adventure with crazy dog. :doggie: I hope he wore himself out and is feeling more like old dog today. Doubtful though. :wink:
@Freyagirl
 
Adventures with “Crazy Dog.” My strong 15 year old grandson came to walk crazy dog. He forgot I told him to use the pinch collar and came back within a minute to get it after nearly losing his grip on the leash. This pup definitely needs more training. I was happy for the help because all the athletic endeavors has really triggered my back pain. That SI joint is really acting up. I’m trying some heat and some soaking in my bubble tub. I think I need to address the back problems with an ortho visit and some work with PT. I haven’t ever done any back specific exercises and really lost core strength during the worst of my hip pain. I’m thinking about some gentle yoga classes for seniors as well. Maybe online? Never done yoga before.
 
@Freyagirl I'm sorry too, that description of adventures with "crazy dog" had me rolling. We had a German Shepherd that pulled the tie out out of the ground and took off. My Mom, all 5 foot of her, managed to grab the end of the chain but off he went with her in tow. She actually tripped and feel flat on her stomach with her boy pulling her through the yard! While it wasn't funny at the time, we did laugh, a lot, later! :heehee:

There are some great yoga classes out there for seniors and those that are in need of gentle immersion into exercises. I had one that I was able to do through the VA that was considered seated yoga. It was a virtual class, the instructor could see you as well as you seeing him. Though it was considered a seated class there were exercises that you could do standing if you wanted. They just made a point to not have you get down on the ground and try to get back up. I really enjoyed it and it did help but due to the demand and only so many instructors you could only take it for so long.
 
@Freyagirl if you do Facebook there are a bunch of pages that have exercise videos. There's one that I believe is associated with Silver Sneakers which is usually something you can get through a Medicare supplement. Because of the type of insurance I have I can't do supplements. But I stumbled across Silver&Fit and you don't need to be enrolled in Medicare or any supplements.

There's also Yes2Next. Its a daughter and her Mother and they do various types of workouts with Mom doing the seated / lighter version. They are on YouTube as well I believe.

There's a woman out of the UK that I stumbled on and most all of her exercises are seated. She seems to be an instructor/therapist and also does some videos online. From what I gathered she's had some kind of health issues that have made her have to adjust her workouts.

There are tons out there on Facebook and YouTube that are worth checking out and most seem to be free.
 
We are dog sitting my partner's daughters two black labs over Labor Day weekend. One is 9 & lays around the other is a 9 month old puppy.
I told my partner they can come here but he will be responsible for the walking of them. Puppy is too exuberant & I won't chance falling for anyone. The older dog lumbers along then sleeps rest of the day.
I'm still volunteering at rescue kennel & we have 3 very big dogs there & I won't bring them in or out I just clean, do laundry & dishes & feed.
Don't need my shoulder pulled out or risk a fall!
So please be careful watching these grand dogs of yours!!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom