THR Happy to be past the surgery

A great update! I know my husband will be very relieved when I can take back my last few chores.
 
The grandson who refers to my hip replacements as “hardware upgrades,” told his dad, “Now that Grandma has learned to walk with her new equipment she is always getting into trouble.” He was referring to me spraying him with the hose when watering my garden. The grandkids have been my cheerleading squad- visiting and helping. The 17 year old told me he was very proud of me for deciding to have the surgery and working hard at my recovery. My family has had a huge impact on maintaining an optimistic view and helping me over this whole winter of recovery.
 
This is so wonderful!
 
@Freyagirl Love the "hardware upgrades" ... and grandma getting into (the right kind of) trouble. :snork: It is wonderful that you have such a enthusiastic cheer squad! :yes!:
 
So what can’t I do at almost 4 months and two months after both hips were replaced. 1. I can’t stand in one spot for more than 10 minutes. This is mostly my back and my SI joint rather than the hips. 2. I can’t carry much weight - not even my weekend duffle. 3. I cant bend over from the waist for very long or I get cramps in my butt. (A problem when doing laundry). 4. Can’t walk more than a couple blocks at a time - this is due to my bad knee.
Good stuff 1. Knee is actually getting better- so I’ve been gently exercising it to save mobility until I give in and replace it. 2. I don’t wake up sore every 2 hours and I can sleep well on both sides. 3. I can climb into my deep soaker tub and get out again. :bath: 4. I can get down to the floor and up again (but not gracefully). 5. I can keep going around the house most of the day without crashing down for a nap.
I’m pretty functional with most of my usual activities. I’m pleased with my progress. I really want to be able to walk further with a soft brace on my knee.
I’m on my way to a weekend of fishing. :realing: Have a good one!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Glad you're pleased with your progress, you should be! You're doing well.
I hope you're enjoying a weekend of fishing. Catch a BIG one! :bigfish:

@Freyagirl
 
Congratulations!!!
May you reel in some good fishies!
 
5 teen boys, an 11 year old girl, 2 big dogs and 7 adults in 2 cabins. Non-stop cooking, fishing, gardening, and wood cutting. Two of the boys caught huge Northern Pike - bigger than any I’ve ever seen in 75 years at this lake. I taught all the kids how to drive the golf cart I use to go between cabins. I planted tomatoes, peppers, and a lot of flowers in a new memory garden for my son who died in October. I trekked around outdoors to visit neighbors. I fell into bed at 9pm so tired I couldn’t remember shutting my eyes. But mostly my new hips kept up with me. I got hobbly by the end of the day and had to sit on a stool to plant my raised garden. But I walked the old dog around outside and managed to get onto the boat. now it’s raining, the guests went home, and I’m putting my feet up while I watch the storm come in. Hopefully you all had a great Memorial Day weekend.
 
Wow, @Freyagirl, you are doing fabulously well. Hope your recovery continues to be smooth!
 
I’m back to fairly vigorous water aerobics in shoulder deep water, 2 - 3 times a week, for 45 minutes each session. I avoid a few moves of crossing my legs in front of me and frog kick moves, but I do all the rest. I carefully use my cane to get through the locker room and to the steps down into the pool. I skip socks and wear easy to pull on pants. Now, after several weeks of ramping up my participation I am pretty much back to very active participation. This week I didn’t require a post workout nap !
I am feeling strength returning to my muscles and better flexibility overall. I’m back to my regular one-piece suit and the leg opening no longer aggravates my incision. I still need to sit down to get dressed but so do many of my over-65 classmates. I’m happy with my progress.
 
A love story: several years ago my chronically bad hips became really bad and I limped even with a cane. I had cortisone shots and they got better for a while. Last summer besides bad hips I had to have my cataracts removed and spent 6 weeks with fuzzy vision. We have two cabins, several hundred yards apart. Our summers usually are spent in Northern Minnesota at the cabins with family. It became very difficult for me to get between cabins. Too hobbely to walk, too blind too drive. My husband of 50 years bought me a used golf cart and instantly I had a teenage platoon of chauffeurs. This summer I can see AND walk but the uneven ground wears me out. So I get into my little old cart and drive myself around with my garden tools and mulch and rake, or my fishing rod and bait. I have my freedom back again. My old man is a “keeper” for sure.
 
@Freyagirl What a wonderful idea that golf cart (and a wonderful husband for thinking of it). I also love the "teenage platoon of chauffeurs" - marvelous way to get around and spend time with the teens :loveshwr:
 
Awww. There is no substitute for the perfect gift at the perfect time. A keeper for certain.
 
4.5 and 2.5 months after LTHR and RTHR. I no longer ever use my cane around the house and not for shorter distance outside the house unless walking on uneven ground (and then I use my trekking poles). I’m so happy to have both hands again after years with the cane. For anyone struggling to move from the walker to cane or to ditch the cane - it was a slow process for me. After my left hip was done my right hip was bad and I mostly used the walker although the new hip was sturdy. After the second hip I used the walker for a month and then the cane. Now I feel almost back to my old self when I walk around the house except for a moment when I get up after sitting for a while. That may simply be my 76 year old body rather than surgery recovery. The downside to my new agility was the need to clean around the cabin toilet that was used by a herd of guys over Memorial Day weekend - no more excuses for me. But I can polish my own toenails (barely) so that’s the upside!
 
Painted my toenails prior to my surgery as they cheer me up! Fingernails nope- cannot keep them from chipping. Love hearing your cabin stories!
 
How are you doing now, Freygirl? I live alone, and am scheduled for mini-posterior in two weeks, but am thinking of cancelling it after reading your posts and rescheduling with an anterior doc. (From what I've heard, there are fewer restrictions with the anterior approach.

Just wondering how long it took you to get back to normal life. Three months? Longer?

Any anecdotes from your experience would be helpful for me.
 
How are you doing now, Freygirl?
As you see from my last entry I’m doing pretty well. I didn’t have any movement restrictions after surgery which helped me with getting out of my recliner, off my sofa, and in and out of bed all without help from my 80 year old hubby. I am tall and have a riser on my toilet or that would have been a challenge to get up from. I had a stool at the counter in my kitchen for prepping meals and moved it to the stove for cooking (scrambled eggs etc.). I needed help with carrying anything even a little heavy and getting stuff out of my front load washer and dryer - even with a grabber. I have a walk-in shower with a shower chair so I managed showers alone. I started driving again at 2 weeks with each hip. I have a Honda Odyssey which is very easy for me to get in and out of. I had a borrowed 4 wheeled walker that I kept in my car for getting around. I had groceries and prescriptions delivered. I feel great now although I still wear myself out easily. Hope this helps.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom