Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy to be past the surgery

A month before my left THR I had a colonoscopy and had a large polyp removed. With two very sore hips the prep and the procedure was difficult and painful. I had just purchased a raised toilet seat with a built-in bidet which really was a miracle with the necessary multiple trips to the toilet and also amazing for my hip surgery recovery! The doc wanted to be sure that the removal was completely healed and so I had to go through the process again yesterday. Two hips that don’t hurt certainly improved the whole deal. I could make the multiple toilet visits without groaning every time I bent over, I walked into the same day surgery center without a cane and climbed up on the bed without help. I could take my shoes and socks off without help. I got on the procedure table without help and rolled onto my side without pain - such a change. When all was done and I got the good news that all is healed and fine, I walked back to my car without a cane. Big change in just a few months! P.S. - my son who died of colon cancer at age 45 begged everyone to get your colonoscopies on time! Be well.
 
Wonderful news! I am impressed with the great strides you've made and happy to hear that all has healed as it should.
Such a heartbreaking loss you're living with though, so very sorry, Freyagirl. :console2:
@Freyagirl
 
Sending a big ((hug))
 
What a wonderful story of life improvement! It's what we all hope for I think.
 
Back from a weekend of camping in our RV for the weekend and I’m pooped, but happy. The RV is built on a truck chassis and has a steep 3 steps to get into it. I managed to get in and out many times - not pretty, but heaved myself up using the handrails. I brought along a little step stool for climbing onto our tall bed and did ok clambering into the passenger seat in the truck cab. The campsite was uneven and after a day of rain was slippery, but I had my trusty trekking poles and one trusty teenage grandson to help keep me on my feet. It has been two years since we were able to get out in the camper because of my bad hips so it was a wonderful return to something I love that has made the long winter of surgery and recovery worth all the effort.
 
Oh yay!!!!
It doesn't matter if it don't look pretty - it's doing it that counts!!
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary, Righty!
I hope you have a great week, Freyagirl.
@Freyagirl
 
So it’s three months past my right THR and almost 5 past my left THR. I continue to slowly improve. I have more energy (although a crummy cold whipped me out for two weeks). I still get a hitch in my hip when I crouch to get into the dryer or the lower refrigerator shelves. My SI joint arthritis makes standing for long periods a problem. But both of those are manageable and so much less pain than the endless hip pain of last year. I’m in a weird place where I’m past a very long and difficult time of heart failure, cataract surgery, worrisome colonoscopy, my son’s death and two hip surgeries. I’ve pulled myself through it all and now I need to get on with life. I’ve got a couple vacations scheduled and more time with the grandkids, and finishing some long left behind home projects. I’m slipping back into a life that got put on hold and asking myself, “now what?” I don’t know for sure so I’m just enjoying the summer and my cabin.
 
Enjoying the summer and your cabin sounds delightful! I was enjoying my morning today and decided I needed more of this! Now to determine how to slow down enough to make it happen!
 
Welcome to the next act of This Is Your Life!!! May it be healthy and just the right balance of relaxing and stimulating!
 
You certainly deserve to move forward with next phase of your life, I wish nothing but happy & pain free days ahead.
 
I sat cross legged on the floor to pack my suitcase before I realized what I had done! Haven’t been able to do that for several years. I carried that duffle full of a weeks cabin clothes out to the car and into the cabin. I couldn’t do that a month ago. I climbed a short flight of outdoor stairs with no handrail or cane. Last week I needed the cane. I carried my groceries in from the garage by myself. I no longer hurt when I get up from a chair although I realize that I still anticipate the pain, it’s a nice surprise to just get up and move without wincing. I actually feel younger than I have for at least five years. My 10 year old granddaughter told me “Grandma, you’re walking without help. I’m so happy you are doing so well.” Those cranky old hips made me older more quickly. It’s good to be back!
 
@Freyagirl Brava!! Isn't it wonderful to be able to do every day things easily and with out pain? I am so glad to hear you are doing well! :yes!:
 
I’m so frustrated with Facebook “doctors” who answer medical questions with such confidence without any training or actual knowledge of the situation. I appreciate the careful answers provided on this site which help folks with non-medical problems and also provide support and referral to accurate medical information. I can only accurately speak to my own experiences and that doesn’t make me an expert.
 
My 10 year old granddaughter told me “Grandma, you’re walking without help. I’m so happy you are doing so well.
From the mouths of babes -- isn't it amazing how much they notice! I'll bet she's happy to gave her grandma back!
 
My right knee which has been bad for 45 years from a skiing fall was terrible at the height of my hip problems. Week by week it’s been getting better and I believe it may just go back to a low level irritation. I wasn’t looking forward to more surgery. I can’t walk far but my trips into the grocery store and the neighborhood are pretty easy these days. I still have some sort of catch in my right hip when half bending / half crouching into low cupboards. It’s not getting better or worse so I’m ignoring it for now to see if it goes away. I still get worn out after a busy day but that may be age 77 creeping up. Life is so much better than last couple years. I hope that’s true for most after surgery.
 
I can’t walk far but my trips into the grocery store and the neighborhood are pretty easy these days.
This is the BEST news you could share! And you are still only part-way through this recovery. I hope your knee continues to improve as your hips continue to heal.
:flwrysmile:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom