Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy to be past the surgery

The dogs are back home, thank goodness! I tripped over Crazy Dog a couple times and tested my new hips which stood up to the impact. I was able to lift the rear end of Grandpa dog into the car several times and am proud to have some of my strength back. I did a massive amount of bending over and seem to have gotten rid of the catch in my hips when I do so. The yanking on the leash aggravated an old shoulder injury, but my grandson took over leash duty for me. On the last few days of dog duty my right knee was terrible and I was back to using a cane and so cranky. I remembered the painful days before hip surgery and was angry about being limpy again. However, after a full day without the constant trip hazards I feel pretty good and actually miss their loving company. Now all I have to do is wipe nose marks off all the windows, vacuum drifts of dog hair, and tend to my over fertilized lawn. But today I’m just reading a good book and keeping my feet up.
 
Love when they come & love when they leave! I will be getting "Ernie" my quite regular dog client at 10AM today until Sunday afternoon. He's my Eveready battery dog, ready to go go go!
We usually walk between 5-6 miles over course of the day, we have a lovely walking trail as well as a smaller park at end of our street plus around the block in neighborhood, he's small so he goes everywhere with me & loves the car.
Next weekend my partners 2 black lab grand dogs will be here while the family enjoys Labor Day camping in Maine.
They all keep me moving which is what I love, to be able to walk as much as we do I'm just so grateful to have that back, it was & has been an enormous part of my day to day life for years. Here in New England we are having some lovely fall like weather & it's perfect walking weather.
 
My strength is still lousy and my balance is poor. I’m 7 and 5 months out from having both hips done and getting frustrated that I still feel so tippy. I have to be very careful when I step over things (like dogs) and catch my toes on door jams and anything on the floor. I still have the throw rugs off the floor and anything else that I notice. I know it’s a long road to full recovery but it seems like forever since I could walk without constantly focusing on walking. I was carrying an armload of laundry, banged my elbow, dropped the laundry and tripped on it, landing on carpet on my hip. Nothing hurt except my confidence. My busy summer has meant few workouts at the pool so I’m headed back to a regular schedule next week to try to gain strength.
 
Oh no, I'm sorry to read that you tripped, @Freyagirl, but glad you are okay.

I know it seems like a long recovery, but you had two hips done in a very short period of time. Your body was just getting used to new alignment from your left THR, when everything changed. Give yourself some grace.

I think you are wise to be cautious and keep the floors as clear as possible. I'm sure getting back to the pool will help with your strength.

A suggestion for balance: I found that practicing standing on one foot really helpful after all of my surgeries. At the beginning, I couldn't even make it to 10 seconds on the surgical leg. But by practicing several times each day (like anytime I was standing at the kitchen counter to prepare a meal or at the bathroom sink), it get better and better. Why not give it a try?
 
Eeek. Falling is so scary, even when it turns out ok.
One of the things I learned about carrying a cane, it makes me be more mindful than my natural state.
I'm so glad you're ok.
 
I endorse @benne68 's suggest for controlled one foot standing.

As a basic tai chi exercise, standing as she suggests in front of the kitchen counter, with feet facing forward, parallel to each other a little less than shoulder width apart...

Keeping hips and shoulders level, very slowly shift weight to one foot, slowly return to center, slowly shift to the other foot. It may be easier of you very slightly turn your whole body towards the direction you shift weight to.

As you feel it easier to shift 100% of weight to one foot, slightly lift the other foot - you can start by keeping a toe touch on the unweighted foot at first.
 
Instead of carrying your laundry place in a bag & toss down the stairs or into laundry room wherever that might be. I used a trash bag that tied & flung down the stairs. I have a raised ranch so 5 steps down to landing then 6 more down to bottom level.
Be careful & I'm sure things will improve.
 
I had purchased several non breakable items for work. No one in stairwell or surrounding area- both bags were successfully launched down the stairs. Much safer than me trying to carry them. I also launch my garbage bags down my steps at home- careful to know what is inside. Rugs removed at home and work. Balance and leg strength issues are no fun! Be careful!
 
Heads Up!
Look Out.... lots of strong woman thrusting weighty bags around here, said as I duck and run. :heehee:

I am sorry you fell, Freyagirl and glad you're okay.
Really, you're doing remarkably well....just stay on your feet and you'll be golden. :wink:
Have a nice holiday weekend!
@Freyagirl
 
Thanks to you all for suggestions and encouragement. Fortunately I have my laundry is on my main floor with my bedroom and kitchen so no stairs. This means that the new laundry cart with wheels works great to haul laundry and have no stairs. I had put a fluffy throw rug back in the bathroom, but that’s gone and I’m back to a very flat, rubber backed mat which keeps the floor dry. Trying the one foot balance - clearly needs work!.
 
The dogs are home, my trusty teenage helpers are back in school, and I have been working hard on my balance. my water aerobics class has started again and once again, I’m grateful for what amazing exercise it is and how much I enjoy all the company. Now that I’m not wrangling dogs all day my hips and knees have settled down. I pretty much have no hip pain at all. I have rescheduled a trip to Palm Springs that got canceled one year ago and I’m looking forward to being able to travel and walk and enjoy the trip. I have even found that I don’t need an afternoon nap every single day. I realize now that having both hip surgeries within six weeks of each other took a bigger toll on my body then I recognized. As I get my energy back, I feel better than I have in a couple years. I’m going to work hard at getting to water aerobics at least twice a week and work on balance exercises. I’ll be going into my 77th year feeling better than I did when I was 70.
 
I realize now that having both hip surgeries within six weeks of each other took a bigger toll on my body then I recognized
They'd have to drug me to get me to go back for more that soon. You're brave and it's finally paying off. Going into your 77th year and feeling only 70 is wonderful! I am happy for you, Freyagirl.
Enjoy your water aerobics and...LIFE! :SUNsmile:
 
I am SOOOO happy reading your update!!! :happydance:
 
I catch the toes of my shoes on stuff - bumps in the sidewalk, door jams, gravel. I need to lift my feet more when I walk. I have the old person shuffle. When I consciously avoid it I feel like I’m marching. I watched a friend whose hip was replaced 3 years ago and she does the same thing. My PT exercise had me walking sideways and backwards to get my feet up so I’m working on that. I think I need to use my trekking poles again and walk more outside to get my legs stronger over all. Thoughts?
 
Practicing our favorite heel-to-toe stride is the best way I know to avoid both shuffling and marching.
Sideways and backwards in the safety of the house are good!
Yes, using your poles and going outdoors to practice heel to toe allows you to also stand tall, heart and eyes aimed at the horizon, which will help develop better structure.
Once your gait is better you can focus on rebuilding quads and hamstrings.
[Bonesmart.org] Happy to be past the surgery
 
By all means I'd definitely use your poles & practice your heel/toe walking with them.
Stand nice & tall as well, proper posture helps with the walking.
I've been taking longer strides lately. I have no trouble walking but noticed my strides were short so I consciously started stretching my leg/feet out further when walking.
I think we develop little cautionary ways of doing every day things to protect ourselves which is totally understandable, but every once in awhile I challenge myself & my new walking pattern is one of those challenges.
Good luck with your walking poles, keep us updated.
 
I catch the toes of my shoes on stuff - bumps in the sidewalk, door jams, gravel. I need to lift my feet more when I walk. I have the old person shuffle. When I consciously avoid it I feel like I’m marching. I watched a friend whose hip was replaced 3 years ago and she does the same thing. My PT exercise had me walking sideways and backwards to get my feet up so I’m working on that. I think I need to use my trekking poles again and walk more outside to get my legs stronger over all. Thoughts?
Do you have access to an elliptical machine? That has always been my best tool for learning to move my legs properly. You can't swing your legs out weird, or shuffle. The mechanism only allows you to move properly. It has really helped me several times to retrain my leg muscles in proper motion.
 
@Freyagirl my therapist had me doing the lift your leg/foot when walking to avoid the shuffle. After my meniscotomy I did notice I was shuffling badly. I had to laugh though, told my husband I felt like I was doing Monty Pythons silly walks! :heehee:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom