Guest viewing is limited

THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Carriemay60 it does seem as though PT is pushing you a little too hard... it isn't good to have so much discomfort after your exercises. Take it easy, your body will heal in its own time. For what it's worth, I was told to move my leg out to the side only a little bit so as not to over stress the muscles there. Hope you're able to rest more comfortably now!
 
@Kim22 @MsFit1 That 1st physio was not actually exercises really; it was moving my leg/hip about to my limits for measuring ROM. I think on a couple of them, I pushed myself beyond her instructions thinking I am behind in my recovery. By the next afternoon it had settled almost completely but she still kept the exercises pretty soft and said herself some muscle discomfort is okay but not all out pain.

That 2nd session, she started to lift my foot by grasping my ankle to put it in the 'sling' that they then raised up to allow some hip movement without the hip supporting my leg. When she grasped me ankle, I unconsciously let out quite a yelp of pain. I had no idea my ankle was so sore though I have mentioned a few times to people that it feels sprained. She didn't play around with it but suggested I get it x-rayed asap as she suspected a hairline fracture.

So the next day, I trot off to my family doc to ask for a x-ray and get the same **&&!! resident I got last time who proceeded to torture me pushing into all the bones and joints in my foot. I asked him 3 times to stop and then I screamed at him. Then I was told the x-ray results would not be available for a few days so likely next week. I can't help but wonder if there is a undetected fracture if that could be why I still have continued foot swelling and such difficulty with weight bearing. Either that or this the worst ever flare of my arthritis I have ever had. Once again, with this comedy of "stuff", I wonder if I'm being punked!!
 
Hi Carriemay, sure hope the pain has subsided. Any new pain is so scary, hope only muscle soreness. I go for my first hard outside PT on Monday. A little apprehensive.

Hope you made it okay this afternoon. They should know what they are doing, but at the same time if anything hurts beyond a little discomfort I say we have to speak up. We know our bodies best. Hoping you feel better.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm so sorry to read about your foot. It's a pity the X ray results take the few days but at least you'll know. Your resilience through it all has been inspirational! I Hope today is a better day....

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Don't like the sound of your PT @ Carriemay60...certainly wouldn't let anyone inflict pain on me!! The first time I saw the PT he wanted me to roll on my front to which I told him a resounding NO and requested a different person.
The pain in your ankle could be muscles/tendons reacting to a different gait ...icing it may help. I had foot pain like that post op and icing certainly helped. Do hope the X-ray comes back negative & the pain goes soon! Chrissie xx



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Carriemay60 I also remember having a painful ankle which responded really well to ice.I was limping as the pain was so bad but after one session of icing it was gone.We tend to get aches and pains in other parts of our bodies as our soft tissues adapt to our new gait.I hope the ankle pain is soon gone.
 
@Carriemay60, so much happening with you in the two days I've been away. Glad for outside PT even with the soreness, it sounds like you had a good evaluation. Your PT person will depend on you to let them know your comfort level so be willing to share it!

Yikes on possible foot fracture! Glad you screamed! What do these folks think?? Let us know X-ray results.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Kim22 @Hoppy Nanny Thanks for the hints on the ankle pain. I also wondered if it could have anything to do with being non weight bearing for 5+ months and the foot and ankle being in shock now. I will definitely try the icing and see if that helps. I'm not sure how things came out wrong about my PT, she is incredibly gentle and adamant that I do push to the point of pain. When she was doing the measurements she told me to move to the point I could without pain and I pushed a bit further, showing off really. She checks constantly to make sure an exercise is not getting to be too much. I have been warned by several people that when they get to the point of breaking down scar tissue in my knee it will be pretty painful but I know I have to do it.

The muscle spasms in my thigh and pain in groin were over the top last night but no spasms yet this morning. Still having pain in my groin and if you were to straight back to the rear side. I really should have insisted that x-ray technician find a different way to get the pictures she wants and not done what she asked. In hindsight, I realize I was being twisted a LOT and am still on full restrictions. This is certainly a "live & learn" experience in life!
 
I would think that all that twisting around for your xrays could definitely cause pain! And doing exercises, even though they are gentle, could make you very sore when your body is not used to them. Take it easy, and hopefully continuing to ice periodically will help you feel much better.
 
@MsFit1 I should have been thinking into the future more when I cooperated with those x-rays. Still very sore today. We tried one heel slide today at physio and my PT stopped me when she saw me wince. Just the one started up the spasms in my thigh. She put my leg in a sling then, kind of caressed my thigh and swung it about two inches each way off centre trying to calm the spasm. Then it was just the electrode machine, heat & ice. The spasms settled right down and have not been as bad this afternoon, thankfully! I live for icing, love it but I do think the heat on my thigh helped more this afternoon.
 
Thank God for ice and heat. So glad there is an answer for those spasms. Hope you rest easy tonight.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Carriemay60 do you also have a heating pad at home? My physical therapist suggested that I get one for home use, and it's wonderful! Glad you're doing better and sending you healing hugs :console2: xxx
 
@Carriemay60, hope you feel better today. I'm not surprised you're sore, having not done any of that kind of movement for awhile. Lots of ice and pain meds. The soreness will go away, and the hard part will pay off in increased strength and ROM. Now you know your limit, you can back off a little at PT, so that you are not as sore as the first time. :)
 
Hi @Carriemay60 - Hope you're feeling better soon...rest, ice and elevate and don't get down on yourself!
 
@beachgal @msfit @cthipster @toohip Everything seems a bit easier today. Still some pain in my hip so still resting and icing there. A few times I have moved in a way that I have felt the first twitch of a muscle spasm stopping but quickly stop the movement and a gentle massage stops it! I am feeling very clever indeed :) I do have a heating pad and am using it. I woke up with a nasty head cold and some body aches so looking forward to the pot roast has going in the crockpot a bit later :loveshwr:
 
Glad you're feeling better. Hopefully the pain will be fully eased by tomorrow!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
@Carriemay60 I am always glad to hear about your forward progress and little victories. You are enduring a far greater journey than I am, at least I can offer a friendly ear, support, cheerleading and maybe a tad of insight here or there. Your PT does sound as they are having your well being as a priority, even with the soreness that results. The slow pace of healing is indeed frustrating at times, but it seems we cannot ever pull a quick one on what our body needs. I hope your week ahead proves to show progress, relief and positive results with your X rays. Enjoy your roast...that sounds like a great comfort food for day
 
@Carriemay60

You have the worst luck with X-ray techs. Sorry to hear about your foot..it should not take 3 days to get X-rays back...Waiting drives me nuts. I purchased a great TENS machine which helps with the spasms, aches etc and I also invested in a wet heating pad. I bought it from the Shoppers Drugmart Home Health store. They have 3 different sizes and I got the one that covers mt whole leg. I use the TENS and the heat together and it feels heavenly.

Sending hugs your way my Canadian surgery sister

Cheryl
 
@cthipster Thank you, the pot roast was amazing! We used to make that often when the kids were little and I was still working but haven't had it in years ~ fabulous flavour and warms you up to your toes! I guess this "cold" must be a bit of flu ~ I saw 1:30am with prickly, jumpy sensations in my skin driving me insane.

@CanukTriMom Don't I ever have the luck with x-ray? This lady seemed to care though, I just should have been more alert to my limitations as I realize she can't know it all. I remember them trying to get x-rays when I first fractured my hip and going into a full blown pain/panic attack at them trying to move me onto the x-ray table. Then someone behind my head said "just get the x-rays in the bed she's in". Duh!!! On Saturday my PT noticed I have green bruising on the top of my foot where that resident Dr. beat me up ~ what a fool he is! I have never heard of waiting for x-ray results, maybe the official Radiologist's report but not to learn if something is broken! I may try to get a better heating pad, the one I have right now is quite stiff.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom