THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hubby took this picture at the little park at the end of our street yesterday while he was being walked by the dog :)
[Bonesmart.org] Happy for any advice!
 
@Carriemay60

I know Fall is here as it is my favourite time of year and re very outside from the hip op is making me want to go biking but have to wait until the Spring. I start to use my indoor trainer in at the end of the month .

Hope all is well

Cheryl
 
Carriemay60,..... wow, your journey has been one of many challenges. After reading you thread... your fight over adversity is just humbling to me. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers for a wonderful outcome. Thank-you for taking the time to post on my thread. Your input is helpful and so thoughtful. I hope many good blessings come your way.

We have the same problems here in the states with them not giving out enough days worth of pain meds... and the restrictions have become even tougher in the last few months. Doctors are being forced to make pain meds harder and harder to get even with major surgery. A lot of it stems from the people who abuse the system.. and then it makes it harder for the people who really need the pain killers to get them or get enough to help them.

I hope you get some rest.((hugs)) :friends:Joan:SUNsmile:
 
I want those leaves in my yard! UGH!! Unfortunately, that's not going to happen this far south. Our leaves go from green to brown overnight. Sometimes we get glorious fall colors from a few "popcorn" trees but they don't last long. Our heat can stay until well into November and our cold weather usually consists of rain and wind.

I'm hoping your week has gotten off to a good start. I know each day is a big question mark but you ARE making progress, my friend!
 
@gazelle7777 Hi Joan, I am glad I could provide you with some reading material while you are laying around :) Seriously, thank you for your kind words and support. Some days do feel like a bit of a battle but most days I am able to just get on with it. I trust that life will go on after this brief interlude.

I really get the medication controls as I work with addicts and Rx drugs are just as valuable as street drugs if not more so for some. My problem with the strict controls is that a person with no pill seeking behaviours (our pharmacy computer systems are all interlinked in Canada) are more or less suspected anyway. Even if they wrote if in refills so you could have so many at a time, it would be easier than trying to track down your surgeon or be in and out to our GP's when mobility and transportation is such a huge issue for us. I do doubt it will change though.

@beachgal They are beautiful in Ontario; I have heard the colours are some of the best. I hope you get to see a lot on your cruise next fall!
 
PT went very well yesterday. All my pulled muscles seem to be nicely healed up and happy to do a little stretching so totally resting things for a few days must have done trick.

My therapist attempted to do some "passive ROM massage and manipulation" on my knee but found it to be seized up completely. She wants to have my surgeon consider "surgical release" and will send me with a note to him next week. I thought that would mean they go in surgically and cut out or trim some of the scar tissue but apparently it means the knock you out and then force your leg into a fully bent position!!! Yeowouch! :yikes: They get you up and moving very quickly afterwards to avoid it seizing back up again. I will have to see what the surgeon thinks about that option but I dare say it may well be worth it to get my mobility back.
 
Hi @Carriemay60 - Glad PT is going well and you are hopefully feeling a bit better. I never heard of the surgical release...but does sound extreme. I don't know if I'd agree to that. Prior to your fracture in March, were you able to fully bend your knee?
 
Oooh Carriemay, kind of makes me shutter at the thought. Sure would like to hear there is another option. Hoping there is something else, like too hip said, seems so extreme!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Carriemay60. So glad your PT went well & your muscles are healing up....that manipulation under anaesthetic (MUA) sounds horrific.....I've heard of it for knees but not for hips....oh please do take lots of advice before you go for that won't you! Thinking of you...Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
:sorry:@toohip @Rhonda K @Hoppy Nanny

This is for my knee only. Yes, my knee worked fine before I broke it other than kneeling was hard due to arthritis; the scar tissue would have built up over the 5+ months I was in the full leg cast. I did some research of my own yesterday and it looks like they more often trim and cut the scar tissue and then work persistently and quickly to keep it moving and prevent it building up again.

Canadian Thanksgiving here on Monday and our youngest comes home from University for a week tonight! I am so excited to see him!! One of my other sons is a firefighter in Alberta and his hall was making their turkey dinner last night. They all chipped in, my son made the stuffing. All was ready and laid out on their huge table and... Yep, the alarms went off for a fire. Returned to a very cold turkey 4 hours later :sorry: lol
 
Hi @Carriemay60 - Have a wonderful T-Day (Canadian style, lol)...columbus day weekend here in US and my college kids are home as well...i'm lovin it!! Enjoy the time with family!! Firefighters Rule!!! Too bad about their dinner...but was probably eagerly eaten anyways...working up an appetite fighting fires!!
 
@toohip So lovely to have the kids home, I am happy for you too! You can bet those firefighter still enjoyed that dinner, they get used to that pretty darn quick. My son is on the Honor Guard so travels to the States for any on duty funerals as well. The one in Boston a year or so ago (were there 3 killed?) One the guys little girls (I think she was 4 or 5 years) stopped in front of my son (he is 6'4") looked up at him and saluted. First time he ever cried openly while on Honor Guard.
 
@Carriemay60

My brother is a Fire Captain in Toronto and he was at that funeral in Boston last year as well. It was one of the largest honour guards he has seen in years. He has been a firefighter for 30 years.
 
@Carriemay60, @CanukTriMom, and @toohip, just wanted to pass along my thanks to your firefighter sons for the selfless work they do. Missing that hot Thanksgiving meal is just a small example of their readiness to serve when called. Unfortunately we all remember the tragedies where lives are lost in the line of duty and it takes a brave man/woman to sigh up. You should (and I know you are!) be very proud of them and their service.

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving to you and all us new hippies will have an extra something to be grateful for this year. I'm thankful every day.

Glad your kids are home for a few days. It was always fun when I came home from college as my mom had an extra song in her heart.

Happy Sunday!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal Thank you for your kind words & thoughts. I wish I could have all my kids home every holiday but that's a pipe dream with them all so far away. Had a wonderful day yesterday with our youngest gathering for our turkey day on Monday. The grocery store was like a buffet of samples and he actually started flirting with some of the sample attendants to get extras of the stuff he liked (like the chocolate) LOL We then practiced parallel parking for the 1st time which caused only one blood curdling scream from me :loll: He goes for his driver's test next Friday.

Back sleeping has got to go!! That is definitely the way my leg and hip are most comfortable but I always wake with an aching back now. I have tried slightly rolling to one side with a pillow behind my back and it has been ok so I think I will "set up" for that regularly. My hip still aches a fair bit on a regular basis which I can only assume is due to not being able to walk properly. My leg will not get me past the limping along with crutches or the walker so there are no fluid movements or pace going at all. That has left me really looking forward to my OS appointment on Tuesday to discuss the next plan of action. Now that I have this OS's attention I am going to make him my advocate to get me going! :bicycle1::bicycle1:
 
@Carriemay60

You know one of the best things my DH and I did before my surgery ( other than that:heehee:) was to go invest in a top of the line mattress. We needed a new one and I said right time for the Tempurpedic. WE went to the Bay and they did offer us the payment plan but we were armed with tax return cash to pay the 2500. best sleeping ever especially during two recovery surgeries this year! I have been side sleeping on my non op side since The start of Week 2 albeit with the customary pillow between my legs....an extra jumbo one so that it goes past my ankles. I have been sleeping with the pillow that way for 4 years to take the pressure off my back and now I am used to it.

Happy Turkey Day tommorrow my Canadian hip sister!

Cheryl
 
Wow @Carriemay60 - I'll be thinking of you Monday, enjoy your family meal. My husband is retired from the London Fire Brigade but still eats meals as if the call-out is going to happen! Our middle son is a crew manager in Kent Fire and Rescue Service, they updated their name because they do as many rescues from road accidents, etc. as fight fires nowadays.
Every firefighter is part of a huge extended family across the world, Hubbie still finds 9/11 difficult to deal with as he was serving in London during the 1970s and 80s when the IRA terrorists were bombing there.
I am lucky to be able to exercise in a hydrotherapy pool twice a week, it's warmer than usual and just walking in it is helpful, might be good for you. Also,the baby pool in our local pool is only 3ft deep but that is also warmer than the big one, good for walking!
Take care, Anne
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom