THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Carriemay60, ditto @rhondak.

Do you do the exercises on both sides? My right thigh is one inch less in diameter than my left thigh, and I can tell the strength and balance in my right leg is less than my left. So even though the left hip is the one that got replaced 9 1/2 weeks ago, the leg is strong.

I made an appt. with a physical therapist, since I didn't use one for this surgery, to do an assessment. I'd like to know how to get both legs to be the same size and what to do about my hip adductors and piriformis. I'll throw the IT band in there too. They are tight or weak or both. I feel like the rest of my musculature -- glutes, hamstrings, quads, abductors -- is normal. Since I have been walking regularly and trying to get in my 7K steps a day, I have noticed my hip flexors, which have given me problems for year, are normal again. Yippee!!
 
@cthipster Great news on your side! OS said I can put my non-op over the ankle of the op side but not visa versa yet so just doing that pull back with the op leg with a bit of strength from my non-op side helping to get it just a bit further and I feel I can get. He's right, with that bit of help I can get it back another inch or so. Today I started another new one, marching my legs while sitting. It didn't feel like much at the time but I can now really tell it is working yet another set of muscles in my butt!

Hopefully the PT can help you get evened up. I would think that some of that will come naturally with time also now that you are walking without such a limp.
 
@cthipster He thought I was way overdoing things, and most especially walking 5 miles. He said
rest for a week then walk one mile if no pain, but no more than that. Then slowly add.... but his slow and my slow are a whole 'nother thing. He said add a quarter mile maybe each month.
Meanwhile, I asked if I could still do recumbent bike. I had been doing 60 minutes. He said that is very
highly repetitive and won't be helpful here. So, when back to no pain : no more than 20 mins on the bike.
 
Hi @Carriemay60 @cthipster Like Claire I know from bitter experience that overdoing the walking can lead to soft tissue inflammation as I ended up with psoas tendinitis after too much walking..Some people are lucky and get away with doing all sorts of activities in excess but others aren't so fortunate.I think the Bonesmart mantra of taking the slow and steady approach is good advice and that includes walking of course.I also like the advice from @MajorHeidi s OS regarding a walking plan very sensible.
 
Hi @Kim22 Thank you! I am in your camp - my PT claims I am one of her most cautious charges to date (mostly due to fear of falling) My OS also happens to agree that walking is the best exercise for a hip, so just as soon as I can get walking I will be walking to a limit :)
 
Hi @Carriemay60 I have just read through your thread and you have been through so much but what a fantastic attitude you have.I am so impressed with your positivity and good humour.I wish you all the luck in the world with your continued recovery.You have made good progress over the weeks and I am so glad you are following the slow but sure mantra.I was a bit concerned that you were encouraged to do a straight leg raise so soon in your recovery as they are very intense. I am 18 months out and still get groin pain if I try to do them.My physio / Pilates teacher has strongly advised against them.I am so glad that you stopped them.
 
@Kim22 Thank you very much for such kind words. I think I had a 'talk' with myself very early on in this journey that I had to maintain a positive attitude and sense of humor to get through. The alternative could be slipping into a depression which would be horrible to cope with. I think there are also some that might almost 'give up' to aging with significant injuries. My mother had a neighbour who hurt her back at about age 45 and took to her bed and recliner. Of course, she has never recovered from surgeries with her new lifestyle - she may as well just write her obituary. I want my life back for myself, to enjoy retirement with my husband (we love to camp) but mostly I look forward to having fun with my grandchildren. There are many more races on the park slides to be had yet!!
 
@Poppet Just noticed you are onine. This "Hip Arthroscopy" has popped up on my thread and I am pretty sure I didn't have that? Any ideas to get rid of it? Thank you in advance :)
 
Hi @Carriemay60 - You now have the THR prefix :) Sorry, I am not online much at the moment. I am and have been very, very sick myself so I am just logging on very briefly for the the moment.

Take care x
 
@Poppet Yes, I saw you this morning but you must have signed off right away. I am very sorry to hear you are so sick! Do take care of yourself, rest as much as you can ~ my thoughts will be with you in the days to come. Thank you very much for helping with the prefix.
 
Hello fans!! :) :loll: :rotfl:

PT came again yesterday and cut me loose for outside PT. She wants me to be established with outside PT prior to cortisone and anesthetic injections that may happen in two weeks. Of course, any headway they can make prior to that will not be unwelcome either! Today I have my initial assessment at the PT clinic.

This has been a pretty good few days. Friday night I met a girlfriend from work for dinner and had a really nice visit catching up on our lives and work gossip. Apparently they hired a 10 week temp to cover my position who is proving to be an absolute disaster. (she was fired from there 2 years ago so wth?) Started work Monday, went home upset by a client threatening her Tuesday morning, went home Thursday saying she thought she had a UTI and while we were at dinner, phoned in sick for her graveyard shift Friday night. Who are these people?

Yesterday, a friend had some furniture shopping to do at IKEA and asked me to tag along to keep her bank account in check which was great fun poking and nosing about. The things that excite me now, LOL. Followed by a wonderful dinner out at Red Lobster! By the time we got back, hubby had gone to bed but had lovingly turned my bed down, put my water in a cooler sleeve on my night table, etc. Feeling loved :)
 
So outside PT for the first time has come and gone and was, ummm, interesting. The intake and interview portion took ages by the time she got all the history. She also did a lot of measuring for ROM. Then they did some did some electrical muscle stimulation, icing to the hip and heat to the knee. Very nice PT and staff for those I met. She sounded like she will have a good approach and not push beyond my comfort level (to a degree of course - it's not all going to be comfortable to break down all this scar tissue)

When she was doing ROM measurements she had me make several different movements, like bringing my knee towards my chest and while laying down & she was supporting my leg putting my leg out sideways "as far as I could without hurting myself". Neither of these have been in my repertoire to date and I may have pushed swinging my leg out a bit more than I should have. Last night, all night and this morning my hip and thigh have been really super sore. Can't be sure what caused it but I hope the exercises I will be introduced to today don't continue to carry it forward! I certainly need more sleep than I managed to get last night through the pain. :mcoffee:
I go back this afternoon to start working on exercises and will go 3 x a week to start at least and then maybe down to 2x a week. Right now, I am dreading this afternoon only because I am so sore. :bicycle2:
 
Hi @Carriemay60 How are you today ?I hope the pain that you had after PT has subsided now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom