THR Happy for any advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Carriemay60, what a great update! I see so much progress in your observations and I know you are aware of how far you've come! Good information to take to doctor next week, too.

I love rainy days, especially Sundays! Your lovely cozy day at home sounds perfect with good tv and delicious food! Nothing like a hearty chowder!!

I'm celebrating your landmark date and hope that you continue to enjoy more and more activities without pain and more freedom as both your leg and hip heal. Good for you!!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
:yahoo::happydance::loveshwr: :wowspring::spin: :egypdance: :running: :cheers:

Physio was just here and I have gained between 2 - 2 1.2 inches sucking my foot in and can now hold at 90 degrees for about 10 seconds. Holy cats!!! The pull I felt I felt in my thigh when she had me hold it was over the top but she says that's a good pull. (I thought I was doing enough just bending it, hadn't occurred to me to hold it to work the muscle a bit). Six months + in the making but a huge achievement for me ~ PT was thrilled to bits! Onwards and upwards :)
 
Who hoo..great going. I'm so glad for you!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
I won't tag you all because there have been so many cheering me on and supporting my journey it would take up a whole page. I must however tag my biggest cheerleaders and thank you all so much for wiping my tears along the way and being a source of relentless support. @beachgal @muckingabout @NoraJ @grnplatebrd @cthipster @PuppyLove @toohip @MajorHeidi @insexec

I saw my "new" surgeon today. He is the one I saw about 4 weeks ago with my husband and he would only discuss my hip, was short, not helpful, etc. Just a reminder that I saw my original OS last week and he told me he had released me to this new guy and both my leg and hip would be handled together.

Today was like being on a different planet! Although the nurse started by saying I was there to see him for my hip only, he knew I was there for both. He was like a different person than we met a few weeks ago. Granted he had a resident and two nurses in the room observing but I am optimistic this level of care will carry on. My husband suspects that now that he is in control of my case he is showing more .... ? (can't think of the words right now) More assertive? Confident? He's like 55 years or so but my previous is the Chief so perhaps the fact that everything he did or said would be undermined or questioned? Sounds horrible but I have to wonder that now that he is in control he has identified that my level of care and follow through has been far less than adequate but was maybe nervous of overstepping when the Chief was looking over his shoulder.

So I now know that I am uncemented. I have some kind of a band around what I would call the
'shaft' of my femur. Not sure if it is due to me being small boned but apparently the prosthetic looks like a very tight fit and the band would have been used "in the hope that the prosthetic doesn't break the femur". Gee, I hope so too!! He said cementing is generally only used on weak bones, generally 85 years plus. I know this is not true but I guess like I have seen Josephine say, it can depend on training, local protocol, etc.

He said it is very likely that I do have RSD ( a nerve disorder that is interfering with the leg rehab) and it is interfering with the rehab of my leg and now my hip. The hip only because I am not walking more and properly with more weight bearing. He believes 100% that the only real physio needed for my hip is walking and the PT concentration has to be on my leg. He has left all hip restrictions in place for a minimum of 4 more weeks, but I see him again in 3 weeks. I was pleased to hear him repeat Josephine's mantra of walking being the best physio for the hip as in my opinion Josephine's advice overall makes a lot of sense.

He has given me two more exercises and asked that PT continue with the "passive range of motion" massage over the next 3 weeks. He will evaluate then again. He did say that he thinks he will likely do a cortisone shot into the knee in 3 weeks and also put some anesthetic into the knee. He said the arthritis in the knee is now very significant and wants to get my knee/leg strong enough to withstand a knee replacement in 6-12 months. He guessed the longest the knee joint will last is 18 months tops. I can only hope for more.

In over 6 months I feel this is the 1st time my concerns have been addressed and my questions answered. I am optimistic this will be my new level of care.

Signed: dancing soon!
 
@Carriemay60 Yes! Really happy for you Carrie. What a great feeling to be heard, attended to and treating with the care and respect you deserve and desired. What a great day for you and sounds like very nice progress and direction to have received. Better order your dancing shoes now! See, I can chime in with the shoe talk as well ;)
 
Thanks goodness you finally got a decent response and care. It sounds like there is finally a treatment plan sounds great. The sheer relief alone must be huge!

RTHR May 27th 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome report, @Carriemay60 ! So glad that you finally are getting some answers and peace of mind. Sorry to hear about the knee but that too shall pass! Woohoo!!!
 
@Carriemay60, yay, finally! I'm glad your doctor is attentive and has given you some concrete next steps. How is walking for you?
 
@cthipster I agree, having a plan is great! I still walk with the walker mostly. I can also walk on the crutches but think I get more weight on my leg with the walker and heel/toe better. It does cause aching and sometimes pain in my knee and hip and even radiating fro the hip up my back a bit but the OS says that is normal and part of the rehab. It does ease with icing and rest. I also have to concentrate to get my weight down; I seem to have a subconscious tendency to put too much weight on the walker but trying to walk along the kitchen counter holding on with hand my leg won't hold me yet so don't think I am yet ready for a cane.
 
@Carriemay60, I agree with using the walker. I felt more secure on the walker than I ever did using the cane, but there will come a time for you to transition when the walker becomes more of a hindrance than a help. You will know when that time comes. You're dealing with TWO major surgeries, so it's just going to take a bit longer but every day you spend behaving yourself will pay you back five-fold!
 
@Carriemay60, you are working with a physical therapist, yes? The good news is you have some obvious milestones that will mark your progress, whether it's walking with the walker and not having to put so much weight on it, to lessening pain after PT, etc. Be patient. What I remember is that your leg atrophied, so it needs a lot of TLC even as you strengthen it.

One of my legs is an inch smaller in diameter due to atrophy, which is minor. I have no idea how to fix it, so if you pick up any good tips, I'll take it!

Can you do water therapy?
 
@beachgal @cthipster After posting this morning I thought I would try a cane we have just to see. LOL, not even one step, my leg is far too weak. The difference in my legs is in excess of 4 inches on the thigh and almost 3 in the calf. It looks very wasted but I can tell it is very slowly filling out and the skin is looking much healthier. I was 5 months in the groin to ankle cast and 3 more weeks in similar but with a knee hinge, so no surprise it is so atrophied. In hindsight, I wish he had put me in a hinged brace/cast as soon as the bone looked healed to help build a bit of muscle at least.

Hipster, the exercise I feel work my thigh the best: Sitting on the edge of my "normal" height bed or a kitchen height chair, pull your foot back as far as you can without pain and hold to the count of 10. With time, bring the foot back a bit further, holding to 10 for more reps. You can also use your right foot/ankle to push the right foot back a little further. If it works for you, you will really feel the pull in your thigh.

I am still working with in home PT. Not sure at this point if I will carry on with her or transfer to outside. We have 2 more weeks before I need to decide. I am not safe to drive, so avoiding taxi costs to get to PT would be a benefit.
 
I am just in awe of you Carriemay. You have so much on your plate and have been through such a rough time but you keep your sense of humor through it all, and have enough left In you to encourage us all and make us laugh. We all appreciate your wit and observations and we are all pulling for the best direction to be in place now. At least there is a plan finally, that is a good sign. Stay strong.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@beachgal - did you see flip flops are officially off the list of possibilities for the winter?


[Bonesmart.org] Happy for any advice!
 
@Carriemay60, flip flops are standard attire on the MS Gulf Coast any time of year! Bras, not so much, either! Seriously, the younger gals here cannot wait to bring out their boots. I think we have boot weather maybe two weeks every winter??!! It's close to 90 degrees here today and that's with a cool snap! Go figure...
:shrug:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom