Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Hamstring tight

Well, you know you are only 6 weeks out which is slap bang in the middle of the "angry tissue" stage.
I'd therefore be inclined to say that there is nothing wrong other than maybe a) doing too much and b) not taking enough pain meds.
 
If anyone in the UK wants to try the Gladwrap, it is available on EBay, obviously postage costs are higher, but you would use less, so it is quite good value. I got some so am armed and ready for the night time pain.
 
Even though Gladwrap seems to stick better, any sort of plastic cling film will do.
 
Well it's been a bumpy trip to say the least and I was beginning to think I was getting better but last week felt like I was going backwards in recovery terms knee got very stiff and a lot of pain went to gym on rowing machine and that had helped also did short 2mile's on recumbent cycle machine came out much better but today knee is swollen again and painful not sure what is happening
 
usually when a knee gets stiff at 8 weeks, it has been stressed by activity. All activities have to start slowly. The bike starts at 5 min, then 10, then 15. A good rule of thumb to try is if your knee is stiff after an activity, then back off---if now, slowly increase the time.

Now, what else were you doing besides the rowing machine and the bike? Back to work? shopping? house work? driving an hour to work? All of those activities take a toll on the knee too.

When I was 8 weeks out and trying to resume my life, my doctor stressed that I needed one hour of rest for every three hours I was up. Rest meant in bed with my knee propped up on three pillows!!!

If you are working right now, then you probably don't need any exercise added to your schedule until after your knee settles down from the extra walking, driving, etc. I am going to give you the recovery articles from our library that we recommend to new members. There are several about knee activity progression and returning to work that might be relevant to you.

First are the BoneSmart Recovery Philosophy. . .

- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds according to your prescription, don't wait for pain to occur, don't overwork.
- If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
- If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it.
- Take note of the BoneSmart view on exercise and how exercise may affect pain and swelling.
- If you won't die if it's not done, don't do it; if you must do it, short and sweet, not hours on your feet.
- Don't stand if you can sit; don't sit if you can lie down, don't stay awake when you can go to sleep

And here are some very crucial articles
The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
Myth busting: no pain, no gain
Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?
Activity progression for TKRs

Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of TKR recovery
Energy drain for TKRs
Elevation is the key
Ice to control pain and swelling

Home physio (PT) and activity progress: suggestions
Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

And wise words from members who have shared their experiences ...
Where are you in recovery?? (TKR)
Five “P’s” of knee recovery
TKR: work “smarter” and not “harder”
Recovering a knee - from one who knows!
It's never too late to get more ROM!
It's worth the wait for ROM
 
Thanks again for the encouragement maybe I should back pedal metaphorically speaking
 
It is a good idea to ease off the activity. It isn't exercise that rehabilitates your knee. It's time, gentle treatment and reduction of swelling. Time to heal, gentle treatment so you don't upset already wounded tissues, and reduction of swelling so that it doesn't prevent your knee from bending.

You probably still need to be resting, icing and elevating you knee on the basis of one hour doing that for every two hours you are up and about.
 
Hi Diddy - you made my head spin with all you are doing at 2 months out. As so many on BoneSmart have advised, recovery from a knee replacement is not a race; slow and steady will get you where you want to be more quickly. I hope you can force yourself to "step back" a bit and allow your knee to guide its recovery. Sounds like lots of ice and elevation are the orders of the day! Hope to hear you are back on the mend real soon.
 
Rowing machine sounds :yikes: to me at this stage.
 
@Diddy ... I merged your two recovery threads as indicated by forum protocol----it is so much easier to be able to help you and give you the advice you need when we are able to quickly see when your surgery was, what other issues you may have had, and what has been going on in your recovery---just by looking at one thread instead of bouncing back and forth between multiple ones. In addition, the thread becomes a journal of your recovery for those who come along later and want to read about you. So, please post in this thread from now on when you want to give an update or ask a question. If you decide you'd like a different thread title at any point, just post what you want here and we'll get it changed for you.

I'm sorry you're feeling bad with your knee, but I'll echo what Jo has said. You're still healing and you are most likely pushing your new knee to hard with the exercises and activity you're doing. If you haven't tried it, I suggest you take a week off from all of it with the exception of some gentle bends and stretches throughout the day and night. Do plenty of elevation and icing and take some type of pain medication on a set schedule. You need to get that pain under control to you can keep inflammation at a minimum.
 
Sleep is hard I am at 4 months out and just now starting to sleep at least 6 hours but I still have knee pain. It is no fun but they say the end will be worth it. Wishing you the best :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Thanks everyone for help and advice I was contemplating doing a little more work but I will back off that for now, I am unused to inactivity and slowing down doesn't come easy I'm afraid but I have started to take my normal pain meds for now as I had halved the dosage for the last week or two once again thanks all what a great site this is!
 
By the way I had plans to take my motorcycle licence (man crisis?) I want to get a BMW tourer and do a trip or five but having felt the weight of one I don't know if my knee would be up to the job, just what might be possible with a new joint are there limits on what you should or shouldn't do?
 
Once you are healed and fully recovered you shouldn't have any problems with a motorcycle. I am a Harley Davidson mechanic and they are not light bikes. I have been riding the bikes, pushing them in and out of the shop, and pushing them on and off my lift since I returned to work at 10 weeks. Of course I had to be careful and move slowly at first.
 
So many folks tell us that they are not used to inactivity---yet that is what your knee needs right now. If you continue to stress it, you might end up with a chronic problem. So---resign yourself to a few weeks of less activity and face it---there are lots of things you have not done because you don't have the time. Now, you do!! Watch videos, read books, talk to friends and relatives---have you called your mom lately? Invite friends out to lunch or have them pick up take out and bring it with them to your house. take an online course---or discover you tube!!
 
Ha ski girl called at my parents 3 times in 3 days mind you I have been trying to get my father (86) to use a smartphone I gave him I have held off work walking and the gym today will see how it goes thanks for the helpfull advice
 
Well the last few days have not been good and this morning I can barely put my leg to the floor and rom is much reduced I didn't do much yesterday so I don't understand what us going on or what to do next if it's no better tomorrow I better go to the hospital as I have an open appointment.
 
Hi, Diddy,
I feel your frustration. I think we realise early on that this recovery is going to be tough, but are sometimes not prepared for setbacks and lack of progress, especially when other people (not ones on BoneSmart) feel we should be doing better by now. The only thing I can suggest is to go back to basics with the ice, rest and elevation. Keep us posted!
All the best,
Tabby
 
Any update Diddy? Did you go into the hospital? Hope the pain has calmed down a lot; could just have been some inflammation that decided to pop up. Yup, ice, elevate, and rest.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom