Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Hamstring tight

I walked 1.59 miles yesterday on the flat last night I could barely climb into bed and this morning I would cheerfully cut my own leg off! I wonder if I am ever going to be out of pain?
 
It takes some longer than others, but we do know it can take a year for full recovery. At 11 months I was at an event that meant a lot of walking. My leg and my heel were killing me! An event coordinator came by with golf cart and offered a ride, I hopped on! After resting and elevating the next day I felt ok. So take it easy on that new knee, ice and elevate for a bit today.
 
Oh Diddy - so very sorry your recovery is not progressing at the pace we would all like. These things have a mind of their own and we need to be patient. Please take it easy and rest today, with lots of elevation and ice. As Karri said above, they do take a long time; I was still developing ROM into the 18th month. But I LOVE my 4 year old knees and am so thankful we have this option. Good luck and may tomorrow be better!
 
Had a TKR right knee March 2016 and since then this year I have had 3 aspirations with a cortisone injection on the last one in March this year, it's been fine for around 4 months great movement and pain free but for a few weeks it has started to swell up and yesterday I developed an awful pain and swelling from the knee up to my lower back it reminds me of a trapped nerve i had once does anyone think its related the tkr? I am already booked in for an examination next month as the knee is very swollen and stiff again.
 
@Diddy,
You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on.
 
Diddy,
Sorry you continue to have trouble with your TKR. Yes I suspect it is related to your TKR. I am going to tag @Josephine to help you find another OS to tale a look at your knee.
Your knee is swollen and stiff, do you also have redness and increased warmth? If so you need to be seen sooner.
Keep us posted on how you are doing.
 
Swollen yes very but not red at all can't understand how the cortisone helped so much the swelling went away and totally pain free for a few months but seems like I'm back to square one.

Does alcohol have an effect at all I wonder I don't drink much at all these days but can it cause swelling I wonder?
 
Swollen - can't understand how the cortisone helped so much the swelling went away and totally pain free for a few months but seems like I'm back to square one.
Diddy, I just read the entire thread here (another reason for not starting new threads, please note!) and I never saw anything about when you had these cortisone shots or where. But the fact about them is that they do tend to have a fairly short life so you shouldn't expect long term relief from them.

But if your pain is in the hamstrings, then you need to do these stretches Hamstring stretches. This is often nothing to do with your surgery and so surgeons invariably don't have any advice to offer. Neither will a physio. But if you can find a good chiropractor, s/he will! I had awful hamstring tendinitis a couple of years ago. I managed for a while doing the stretches which helped for a few minutes but the real solution came from my chiro's deep massage. You'd be surprised how far up and down this problem actually goes. It's not just behind the knee! It can also be the cause of any restless leg issues you are getting.
 
Thanks for the reply I had aspirations done 3 times but no infection found in the fluid drawn off and on the last one a cortisone injection what a joy that was just back to my old self I have had to give up my work which is climbing ladders as my knee often is too stiff to bend and simetimes feels like it will give way but im 67 and been climbing 52 years so maybe time anyway however I have an appointment in August so they can take a look what a going on very difficult to accept as I've been so active all my life and reduced to slow walking etc but since Friday I've had what seems to be a trapped nerve and after walking about 2 miles I couldn't sit down! Oh well on we go.
 
I hope you have some positive answers when you have your appointment. Very frustrating to feel like you have to give up things which are so familiar to you.
 
I'm on holiday in my campervan and trying to find a comfortable sleeping position is challenging but providing I can perch regularly I'm getting through
 
Well back to hospital tomorrow as knee is very swollen and appears to be causing some sort of pressure on a tendon causing terrible pain yippee
 
Anyone getting hamstring problems? Seems like one thing after another
 
Hi @Diddy
I see that you've been complaining previously about hamstring pain. Did you try these exercises that Josephine recommended?
Hamstring stretches

You've put "Knee Infection" in front of your latest thread title, but reading through your previous posts, I don't see anything that says an infection has been proved. Please can you clarify for us?


You'll notice that I have merged your newest thread with your original recovery thread. This is not the first time that we've had to do this. Please don't keep starting new threads.
For several reasons, we prefer that you only have one recovery thread:
  • That way, we have all your information in one place. This makes it easier to go back and review your history before providing advice.
  • If you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts and advice others have left for you in the old threads, and some information may be unnecessarily repeated
  • Having only one thread will act as a diary of your progress that you can look back on.
So please post any updates, questions or concerns about your recovery here. Don't worry that we won't see a new question because between us we read all new posts every day.

If you prefer a different thread title, just post what you want and we'll get it changed for you.
If you need an urgent response to a question, just tag a member of staff.
How to tag another member; how to answer when someone tags you

Here are the instructions on finding your thread, How can I find my threads and posts? . Many members bookmark their thread, so they can find it when they log on. Please do that, so you don't lose your thread.
 
Well off for a nuclear bone scan today to try and find out who the TKR is swelling up and why I have lost ROM
Sorry I haven't posted for awhile but I broke my phone and have been using a temporary one I have also developed frozen left shoulder can't smile wide enough

Can anyone suggest why I would need a knee nuclear and total body scan with of course a radio active isotope injection I'm puzzled

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't answer your question about the nuclear scan, Diddy, but I have a question for you. Your thread is marked with an "Infection" prefix, but I can't find anywhere that you actually were diagnosed with an infection. Can you please tell me whether you had/have and infection or not?
 
The surgeon wasn't sure if I had an infection and I am still having swelling and tightness plus my hamstring is giving grief I had a full body scan and a scan on both knees but so far inconclusive

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom