Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Hamstring tight

Morning old knee once again woken me up for the third time having more pain and discomfort and definitely losing Rom don't know where it's going from here it feels like the tendon in the back of my thigh is going to snap it's so tight looks like a trip to the docs again but it seems they just offer more tramadol and I am max dose now
 
I went back to surgeons understudy he xrayed knee and found nothing obviously wrong so left it at that it calmed down but has been terrible again last few days I have had to stop gym as it leaves me in pain the next day
 
I went back to surgeons understudy he xrayed knee and found nothing obviously wrong so left it at that it calmed down but has been terrible again last few days I have had to stop gym as it leaves me in pain the next day

I am nearly 14 weeks post-op, @Diddy. That tendon that connects to my hamstring is also quite tight at various points of the day. We're walking with altered gait. Our hamstrings and calf muscles are shortened. In my case, my leg is still not straight, so this is shortening the muscles even more. Have you tried heating up the hamstring and then following with some long stretches? And I'm guilty of this next one: How much do you stretch before, during and after the gym? I get off the bike or the elliptical, and that tendon behind the knee is crying out. My physio told me today that tendons are more like ropes than elastic bands. If they're hurting, you have to stretch the muscles they're attached to.
 
Got to honest I don't stretch before or after maybe I should try it I am fine until I sit down or lay down then it starts acting up don't knowif it will ever improve
 
If it hurts you afterwards, you are probably doing too much. Try cutting back and see if that helps.
 
Diddy, sorry you are having such problems. But I think @Suzibelle is right - stretching before and after exercising is key. I was told at the hospital that the quads and hamstrings are the first to start to atrophy, which is in part why there is so much emphasis on getting the leg straight. Grab that belt or towel and do the straight leg lifts (from lying down) to work on the hamstrings - a couple times a day - hold even if knee is bent until you feel it release a little, then straighten it a bit more and hold. It won't happen all at once, but I could certainly tell the difference in my hiking when I wasn't going back to do the "basic" stretches.. And check out the BoneSmart library for some more really good exercises!
 
Thanks for all the great advice I have an appointment tomorrow so I am hoping for some good result from the surgeon
 
Well registrar says I am on track and everything looks normal for 5 months but the night time pain in the back of my knee is keeping me awake it is definitely worse when I am laid down, I can walk about great but as soon as I am in bed it starts after about half an hour and I have to get up and move about driving me mad.
 
At 5 months after surgery, you could probably use a heat pad, warm wheat bag, or hot water bottle, at the back of your knee, to see if that gives you some relief. Do be careful not to have the appliance too hot, though - you don't want a burn if you fall asleep while using it.

I know that sometimes I used to have pain at night, even though I had none during the day. It was almost as if my knee was saying "You did too much for me during the day and I'm going to pay you back for it now."
 
I dread the nights and I am so so very tired I sleep better for a couple hours after 5 in the mornings when I have had tramadol
 
So sorry you are having this trouble @Diddy. I hope so much it soon heals so you have better days ahead. Have you considered an over the counter pain reliever with a sleep aide? In the US this would be something like Tylenol PM. I have trouble with sleep 5 out of 7 nights a week and this really helps me get a better night.

I know that sometimes I used to have pain at night, even though I had none during the day. It was almost as if my knee was saying "You did too much for me during the day and I'm going to pay you back for it now."

I totally agree with what Celle said to you in that post. My knee says the same thing to me on days I over do it!
 
I have tried most of what is available here in England and I also use Mac's Ice which I believe helps but the pain I get from the damn knee is sometimes beyond endurance tried resting it tried exertion ice packs etc but when does the pain go away? Losing faith in it.
 
I'm sorry you are still having problems sleeping. I still find it hard to sleep at night and still can't get comfortable in my bed. I'm still sleeping in my recliner. All I can offer is the same you have probably heard before is to try hear or cold. There is an article in the library about using cling wrap ( Saran Wrap for us in the US) that may help. My pain at night in bed is from my hamstrings stretching farther than they are ready to. That's why I sleep with my knee still on pillows. I also use pain meds at night on those days where I am hurting the most.
 
I used cling film after I had the staples out but not since and it certainly helped but some days I can barely get my jeans over the knee it's the sleep deprivation that is the worse though don't know where I go from here!
 
I am so sorry you are still having such problems Diddy. If your knee is still so swollen, have you tried some gentle massage to help get the fluids moving through the knee? If you don't know someone trained in lymphatic or shiatsu massage, just put some nice oil or lotion on your leg and knee and, starting below the knee, rub upwards toward the thigh (and include the thigh too). The idea is to help move everything through the lymphatic system and out of the body. I found (through the luck of a good friend/massage therapist) that my swelling, and thus much pain, dissipated after she worked on me several times. My OS now recommends it to patients as well.
 
Well Been on holiday in my motor home but despite being relaxed going to bed and laying down brings on what I believe to be restless leg syndrome which is awful it also feels like my leg is going into a cramp or a spasm I really hate the bloody thing going to book an appointment next week with the surgeon that did the knee I can't manage without sleep much longer
 
I'm sorry your knee is still causing you problems. Are you icing and elevating at the end of the day? I found that if I don't do that my knee is swollen most of the time.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom