Guest viewing is limited

Knee Infection Hamstring tight

Meds- 50mg tramadol x 2 x 4 a day
Paracetamol 2 x 50mg x 4 times a day
You are taking these both at the same time, I trust? They give best effect that way.
Ice 2 to 3 times a day for 15 minutes
Elevating leg whenever I can but causes pain after 15 minutes sometimes
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
Not sure what ROM is to be honest
That's okay
Swelling moderate
Okay
Activity - I am walking about unaided quite a lot I do my own shopping cleaning cooking etc.
That's a bit much - you're only 4 days out! You need the assistance of your walking sticks (or crutches) to take the pressure off your newly operated upon leg! And you shouldn't be going out shopping yet! Or cleaning. Did you read the articles Celle left you in post number 8? Especially this one Activity progression for TKRs - very important advice in there!
PT leg slides 5 to 10 3 times a day
Heel slides are very easy to do badly and doing then only 3 times a day is badly! Read this Heel slides and how to do them
I have a small variable effort exercise machine I use 2 times a day for 10 to 15 minutes
What kind of exercises does it have you do? Better yet, what's the name of it then I can Google it!
 
I am doing week 7 and I still do very limited cleaning, basic quick meals ( sitting as much as I can during prep) . As for shopping, I used in the past weeks the little driving cart at the grocery store so I did not have to walk the store. Yesterday I thought I could walk it hanging on the shopping cart...last night was my worts night in several weeks and this morning my knee is hurting. Answer...7 weeks can not walk the whole grocery store yet!
You are a few weeks behind me , still very early in the recovery and you are way more active than I am, no wonder your knee is telling you loud and clear to take it easy.
I know how frustrating it is, I want to do more but my knee will not let me at this stage of the recovery. It is a very long healing process and unfortunately we need to have a lot of patience and progress at the speed the big boss "knee" will let us do!
When you are active at the level of capacity of your knee , nights are better and the level and frequency of pain is much lower!
 
Here is the machine I am using

[Bonesmart.org] Hamstring tight
 
Oh it's a peddlar! Well that involves knee bends so go gently - no resistance and slowly! No pain, okay?
 
Hi Diddy. Sorry you're having such a rough time. Night time is certainly the worst time for me too. In my limited experience I would say you're probably not using ice pack enough. I rotate two packs throughout the day and it's been very helpful. Is there no-one to help you at home?
 
To sleep, perchance to dream - seems to be a lot of that going around here. I am not a good napper - wish I was but have found that Ambien take occasionally will give me a solid 6 hours. Not the desired 8 etc., but what a help to not get up exhausted.

Good luck, it takes time to get better as I am learning (I'm impatient too!) However, the total knee is a big deal and you need to rest as much as possible with ice and elevation to allow yourself time to repair and rebuild. As for your job - me too. 24 years doing 12hr shifts, on my feet most of the time all over the hospital (respiratory therapist) certainly has taken it's toll on my end.
K
 
I take on board everything you say and will moderate my àctivities I must be honest I am not used to so much inactivity and it is driving me crazy but do you think I could take swimming up at this stage? It will get me out and maybe good exercise
 
It's still too early to think about swimming. Your most important job right now is resting, so your knee can heal. try not to think of it as "doing nothing" because you aren't. You're working hard at resting, to give your knee the best possible chance of a good recovery.

It's unwise to go into the water until your incision is completely healed, with no scabs and no open areas. You would be risking introducing some infection if you did it sooner.

You can start water therapy later, but do take it gently. Just start with floating and walking in the water. Later, you can introduce a few exercises. Actual swimming, especially the leg kick, will be difficult for a while.
 
Here is a shot of my knee no scabs nothing open do you think it's OK to swim? Just had another night without much sleep at all the pain when inactive is awful and I get what I can only describe ad a wriggling feeling above my knee in my thigh which makes it feel like I am going to get cramp and I am scared witless of getting a spasm if you understand what I mean.

[Bonesmart.org] Hamstring tight
 
Diddy, your date of surgery as shown in your signature said 08/04/16 (I've changed it!) which is only 5 days ago! That is NOT a 5 day old wound! :scratch:

But I went to your first post and it says 8th of March 2016 :doh: which though still only 5 weeks is more like it!!

So yes, you could do some swimming but not breast stroke (knee flexion involved!) and don't be in there longer than 20-30 minutes. It's awfully easy to overdo things in water.
 
Hi all well my nights are dramatic with pain etc but on this forum I was directed to a guy with a video who made a suggestion that sounded odd but I thought hey how I will try anything once so it involves putting skin cream on your knee providing your wound is fully healed and no scabs etc then wrapping with 3 turns of cling film yes I was sceptical to but on it went H45 cream 3 turns clingfilm and of into bed expecting to be up around 1.30am as per but I woke up at 3am and only because I needed a pee and not a sign of night pain at all!!!! Early days but pass me the clingfilm.

Night pain solutions using moist heat and clingfilm
 
It's amazing isn't it? I had to use it for my last knee and it was a real life saver! Mind you, some nice US member on here was kind enough to send me some Gladwrap which is lightly adhesive so instead of wrapping my knee in cling film - tough when you have very fat legs like mine! - so I could cut a patch and it would stick to my skin all night. If you'd like to PM me your address, I'll send you some.
 
That's very kind of you but it's no problem with the clingfilm for me I have 6 hours or so sleep using it however yesterday I had a very bad day with my knee hurting and being almost frozen most of the day and it doesn't feel good this morning don't know what's happened I crashed out all afternoon yesterday
 
My sympathies. But when you have an experience like that, the first thing you should do is think about what you did in the previous 48hrs! Any ideas? Could actually be something quite ordinary or simple but perhaps you have not done lately or did a little too enthusiastically!
 
Night time is my worst time also. I get restless leg, muscle spasms, and pain when I lay down in bed to sleep (nothing like this during the day). I take a Klonopin 2 hours before I want to sleep, then 25-50mg Trazadone and hour before, plus whatever meds I need (anti inflammatory, Tramadol or narcotic). Cleared all with pharmacist! I also read junk for ½ hour. I also keep a cooler by bed and ice my knee. I also give myself leg massage (I have swelling from knee down) from ankle to knee. So far so good~!

wish you the best!!
 
Spent most of yesterday at hospital following severe pain and knee swelling x 2 over weekend had blood tests and x-rays and a general check up but everything inconclusive and today nothing but pain and stiffness getting worse overnight ,I am getting to hate having the procedure done.
 
Sorry to hear of your pain the pain sucks to put it nicely . I hope your knee gets better :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Sorry you had a rough weekend, glad you are OK.
Time to Rest, Ice, Elevate, and Medicate on schedule.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022

Members online

Back
Top Bottom