THR Had THR on 21st Nov

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long do we usually have to sleep on our backs after our THR's?
 
[Bonesmart.org] Had THR on 21st Nov
Generally, around 6 weeks. But it may vary depending on what your OS's restrictions are.
 
I could sleep on either side from the beginning, but the operative side wasn't that comfortable until about 3 weeks. See what your doctor says.
 
Hi Deb...I guess you are having trouble sleeping on your back too, it's horrible isn't it? It's catch 22 because it's so important to get sleep as part of the healing process and so frustrating when you can't get comfortable for sleep. It's expected that you should sleep on your back for 6 weeks but I do think it depends on your progress and your capability of being careful about restrictions. I did put a memory foam pillow between my legs the other night and attempted to roll onto my good side. I did do it but then I just lay there thinking, I should be on my back to be on the safe side lol. So I suppose the moral is, do as you're told and you can't go wrong :ok:
 
I slept on my side the last night I was in the hospital. I used the same method that was posted earlier: lay on your back with knees up slightly, put a pillow between your legs and slowly turn to your side without breaking precautions. I still don't sleep on my operative side and I miss that but at least I don't spend the whole night on my back. Regarding not sleeping I always think of what a Doctor told me once when I was going through a period of insomnia: the human body must sleep, therefore eventually you will fall asleep whether you want to or not. I was working at the time and was worried about nodding off at my desk! At least I'm home now and can sleep any old time I it hits me!
 
Surprisingly with all the restrictions my doctor placed on me, sleeping on my stomach was not one of them. In the early days post-op, I would have to stand at the end of the bed and kind of crawl up the bed..think inchworming my way up to the pillows. I could lay like this for several hours and then have to scoot my way back to the bottom of the bed to get out. But it gave my back a break.

Tammy
 
Hi folks....am sleeping much better since having my staples removed. I can now sleep on my unoperated side with a memory foam pillow between my legs. I do wake up a bit more achy this way but my back feels so much better and stronger. Just plucking up the courage now to take a shower, another couple of days I think, my leg getting stronger and stronger each day. All in all, not bad for 17 days post op and what I have learned is to listen to my body
 
I'm a bit scared to sleep on my unoperated side, not sure why though?! Maybe I'm scared of the twisting to get on my side.

Are you using just the one crutch now Linda?
 
Great post Linda. Just wait until you have that shower. You will feel like a million bucks. Glad to see you are starting to sleep better. And yes, you are doing fabulous for 17 days post-op.

Tammy
 
Yes Spid I am only using one stick now but suffering lots of thigh aches and pains, just feels tight. Definately braving the shower tomorrow lol, I stink!!!!!
 
How are you doing Tammy? It's just over a month since your op, do you get any pain now?
 
You held out longer than I did on the shower and I don't even like showers! It's not anywhere near as scary as you think it will be. Now I'm climbing in and out of the bathtub (to shower) with no trouble, and even able to put the operated leg up on the side to towel off. And yes, you're doing great for 17 days post-op!
 
Yeah, I found once I got used to getting in and out of the shower and realized I could do it without killing myself, I get in and out with no trouble. Enjoy!
 
WOOOOOHOOOOOO am sooo happy!! I had a shower and I feel sooo goood! Your side of the bargain now Spid..off with that plaster lol!!! :yahoo:
 
My wife was especially pleased after my first post-op shower. More pleased than I was, even. I wonder why.
 
It sure was the best Beth and MaxBuck :loll:that made me laugh!!!!!!
 
Another milestone Linda, that first shower feels so good.. i had to wait until I got out of 5 days in ICU for my first one.. but made up for it after that..

Oh MaxBuck you are such a laugh :rotfl:
 
WOOHOOOOO I've finally found my own thread..took me ages to find it lol! Update from all the above. I am now sleeping very well on both sides but funnily enough I quite like sleeping on my back now! I've just passed the 6 week mark and doing ok although am still taking my meds as when i try to stop my calf muscle really hurts. I'm still walking with one stick as if I try to ditch it I am limping quite a lot, and that's exhausting. I have my follow up on Tuesday 8th January, so that's my next milestone. I'm not sure what my specialist will recommend because although I'm really getting back to normal life as well as I can, I don't feel ready to go back to work yet, so dreading him saying " Off to work you go" lol. Well we'll see. All in all I'm happy with my progression and certainly am so happy that I have a shiny new hip. Happy New Year to you all! :flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom