THR Had THR on 21st Nov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ibuprofen were fab for me, helping with the pain, and the swelling, but you need to be careful with them as they can aggravate the stomach. I always take mine with food and have had no problems with them.
Well, each to his own but it really puzzles me why people fall for the advertising hype because ibuprofen is a very mild pain killer, about half the strength of paracetamol and with the added hazards of stomach irritation which can be present even though the patient thinks it is not. I kid you not - always take paracetamol rather than ibuprofen.
 
Firsty Josephine Oh Josephine I wish you were my OT. Your post made me smile so much!!! Would love you to be my personal Mother Hen:friends: I do hope that you're right and they keep me off for 12 weeks, it sounds a whole lot more realistic than 6-8. My problem would be that I am going on half pay from 6th January and am gonna really struggle financially..haven't got a clue what I can claim if anything. As for the pain meds, I've listened ok and like a good little girl I am going to take Ibroprofen and paracetomol regularly! I haven't yet seen the links from Judy, but who am I to argue with Mother Hen :heehee: Thanks Josephine!!!!!!!!!!
 
Thank you Planet Janet. I'm beginning to realise that sitting up is the way to go! Am definately gonna go through the arranging my pillows regime tonight!!
 
Thank you Sarah...after listening to you and Josephine I am definately going to carry on taking the meds, wouldnt want it all to jump up and bite me in the hip, so to speak xx
 
That's what I do Linda. A sort of sitting up sleeping. It takes a while to get used to but when you're exhausted sleep comes!!!

Good luck. Hopefully you will get some sleep tonight.
 
I suffered a lot more than I needed to Linda, by not taking mine. My friend, who is a district nurse, reamed me out when she came to visit. She wrote everything on a chart for me and called me most nights to make sure I had obeyed!!!! I don't need to be told twice. She is a scary lady.
 
sounds a bit like Josephine eh lol? Well am with you hun, I will obey!!! xx
 
Hello Spid.....wow we can share so much especially as you had the op same day as me. How ya doing? Thanks for your input about sleeping. Am with you all the way...can't wait to sleep on my side and tuck my legs up in the foetal position :yay:. My bed is lovely and soft and I have loads of pillows but sometimes I think it's the inability to relax that's the problem as it's constantly on your mind about dislocation after having it drummed into you so much post op. It's also a time when you are conscious of every little "twinge" and ache. I guess we are on a long slow road to recovery and shouldn't expect too much too soon. Patience is a virtue. Stay in touch Spid

Yeah, foetal position is my favourite too! That is the thing I'm looking forward to most I think! I'm doing ok, don't think I'm ready to move onto just one crutch like yourself but I'm not experiencing much pain.

Are you doing your exercises? Apart from a couple I'm not doing many but just walking around the house quite a bit.
 
Hello, fellow hippy! Like you, I could not sleep on my back when I returned home from the hospital. My physical therapist showed me the safe way to sleep on my unoperated side and my nights have went much better! I'll try my best to describe the method, but you may want to ask your therapist, too.

While lying on your back in the bed, slightly bend both knees while keeping your heels/feet on the bed. Place a bed pillow between your knees. Squeeze your knees together and roll over on your unoperated side. You can bend one, or both, knees to find a comfortable position. Place another pillow behind your back to remind you not to roll over on the operated side.

I had to experiment to find the right pillow. A flatter, standard sized pillow works best for me...much better than the fat, king-sized one I tried first. I hope this works as good for you as it does for me!

It gets better every day! :happydance:
 
Hi Spid.....you sound as tho u doing ok to me and also sound like you are a male version of myself lol! Uncanny how you are the same age and had the op on same day as me.. fate lol! I just been out to the local shop ( taken in the car, and stopped right outside) I walked into the shop and got one or two things....my first trip out:yay: am so proud of myself. Was definately a 2 stick job tho. Would only consider one stick in my safe environment. AAAAh well we both have the phoetal position to look forward to in the future :loll:we'll get there Spid!!!
 
Well hello Smitty....thank you so much for your kind suggestion. When I feel brave enough I am going to try this! Everything else seems to be going well so I messaged Santa today and just asked for some sleep, I've been a good girl so am hoping he obliges :angel: xx
 
PS for Spid
Yep am doing all my exercises in blocks of 10 on operated leg and blocks of 5 on unoperated leg. Never thought it would be harder on my good leg but sounds to sense I suppose that the operated leg is not ready to bear weight yet. Walking around the house is just as good tho.....GO SPID...You're doing fab x
 
sorry spid...just realised you are much younger than me...bless ya.. I thought I was fairly young havin a THR, you are just a baby!
 
Regarding sleeping on your back:

I could never sleep on my back. When I was 16 I was in the hospital in a body cast for a cracked pelvis and flat on my back for 2 weeks. I swear I never slept a wink. If I try to sleep on my back, I just unconsciously end up on my side or stomach.

However, when I was in hospital with the hip, I did sleep the first 2 nights on my back and the third on my back and side. Of course, the hospital bed was a bit elevated at the head, which made turning on my side awkward unless I lowered it, I had lots of pillows around and between my legs. And the morphine helped. When I got home I found I could still sleep on my back with a pillow between my legs to deter me going on my side easily. As I tapered off my pain pills I found I couldn't fall asleep on my back as often. Now I can't do it anymore.
 
Thanks John, it's so interesting how many of us can't sleep on our backs, it must be the most unnatural posture for sleeping especially in winter months like the cold spell we are having now. It seems much more natural to snuggle and keep warm and sleep easy on your side or curled into a ball. Small price to pay though John...I'm determined to be well again!
 
Hi Linda! I think one of the things we all have in common in the beginning is the difficulty sleeping and in sleeping on our backs. I found that I could sleep somewhat on my side if I had a long body pillow shoved behind my back while hugging another one. I used a standard size pillow between my knees to prevent breaking the hip restrictions. I could get a couple of hours of sleep this way pretty early on. I then learned how to crawl up the bed from the foot so I could lie on my stomach as well. I am now 3-1/2 weeks out and can roll over from back to stomach and sleep on my side pretty easily. I still have issues with staying asleep, but it is a small price to pay to have that horrible pain gone.

Hang in there!
Tammy
 
Hi Tammy thank you for your post. it's comforting to know we all have the same problem. I've had extra exercise today, more walking than usual and thought I'd be so tired tonight that I would crash, but here I am again 3am and still awake so it will be a day of napping here and there tomorrow. C'est la vie!!! You are doing very well and I must admit, the crawling up the bed to sleep on your tummy sounds like an interesting and helpful prospect, I will try
 
Just remember, if you crawl in from the bottom of the bed, you will have to very carefully either roll over or slink back down to the foot of the bed and stand up. If you are like the rest of us, you continually worry yourself awake. What I mean is, oftentimes I will lay in bed and worry about not being able to sleep. Then I will start looking at the clock and think to myself, oh great, it's 1:00 am and I am still awake. Next thing I know, I am constantly checking the clock to see just how much sleep I am not getting. One of the best things my husband did was to turn the clock around so I couldn't see what time it was. Since you are in recovery mode, sleep when you can, don't worry about what time it is and nap when you need it. You will get back to normal when your body tells you that it is ok to do so.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom