Guest viewing is limited

THR Had THR on 21st Nov

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if anyone can shed more light on the calf muscle hurting as I've had the last few days. Maybe more so when I've gone hard at the side leg raises.
 
Hi Spid, I can't shed any light but funnily enough my calf muscle started cramping today. I was operated on the day before you. I just started putting some weight on the leg for the first time after restrictions, so I was expecting some muscle soreness, but funny that it's just the calf muscle?
 
I'm terrible with knowing stuff about muscles, body parts etc but does the calf get a good workout when walking in general?
 
Hi Spid here is a little information regarding the Calf Muscle and the pumping action. Often, the Calf Muscle Pump (CMP) is referred to as the body’s secondary heart.

It takes one (1) easy heartbeat to pump the oxygen rich blood from the heart to the lower leg and foot. However, it requires several strong heartbeats to force the blood back up to the heart. This is where the CMP comes in to play. When it is active, it works as the body’s secondary heart and helps to propel the blood back to the heart.

However, the CMP works only when the leg is active and it is optimized during regular walking exercise.

When the leg is resting, the CMP shuts down and the blood circulation is significantly reduced.

Hope this gives you insight as to how the calf muscle works :)
 
It's really strange that all 3 of us on this thread are suffering the same calf pain/ache at the same post op period. All I can think is that we are becoming much more active at this stage. Thanks for the information
 
Hi everyone..it's been a while since I've been on here as I've been battling with my demons a little. I had my follow up on 8th Jan and to be honest I was disappointed in how uninterested the OS was that saw me ( it wasn't my OS). He just asked if I was ok and skipped over that to tell me to ignore restrictions now and get rid of the stick. I thought I would at least have an xray to see if everything was how it should be. He didnt even want to see the scar, I offered to show him and he said well ok if you want to!! Anyway I did want to go back to work but unfortunately my boss is reluctant to have me back until at least the 12 week recovery stage so my GP has signed me off until end of Feb. I wasn't given any physiotherapy follow up so I'm just following guidelines of exercises from the internet. I am a bit concerned that I still have a very bad limp, I sort of drop my hip when I walk. This means that I am having a tough time trying to ditch the stick as if I have to walk very far without it I get exhausted and the most awful back ache. With only just under 3 weeks or so to go before I have to go back to work, I'm really worried that I still wont be able to walk without the aid of a stick. I am just over 9 weeks post op...is this normal for this stage?
 
Hi tizzy55, I will fill you in on where i am and my experience so far. I am 6 week post op. At 16 days post op the nurse took my staples out. I went back and saw my OS at 3 weeks. He took 2 x-rays (which he gave me copies of on a CD) to make sure everything OK. He ordered 4 weeks of out patient PT twice a week. I still have a 90' restriction and no crossing my legs. I go and see him again next week for a 7 week check. He told me from the start that i would be off work 12-18 weeks. PT says i am ahead of where i should be. My OS never looked at my scar either. PT gave me alot of strengthening exercises and wants me to increase my walking to 30-45 minutes 3-4 a week. You may want to see about some PT especially to work on your gait if you have limp. Best of luck.....
 
Hi Tizzy I noticed on Tammy's thread that you are having pain in your arm. Not wishing to hijack her thread when she's having a rough go, I thought I'd catch you here. You may just have a bit of inflammation that would be helped with ibuprofen. It happened to me during various periods I spent using crutches. If you don't do well with it, see your GP because he could give you an anti-inflammatory like Meloxicam or Naproxen that just might knock it out. That's what I am taking for a knee that has blown up as a result of compensating for the bad hip. Hope that helps. Take care. Vicki
 
I would use the stick, if you are limping without it then you still need it, try the old heel to toe chant when you are walking, to slow yourself down and see if that helps with the limp,
 
Thank you badgerfan Vida and Beth, all your points have been noted. Vida I have some ibrofen and naproxen in my medicine cabinet so I'll try taking those to see if it helps, thank you. @ badgerfan it seems to be very difficult where I live to get any PT apart from a printout with pictures to explain the exercises @ Beth yes, I am still limping but my OS told me to stop using the stick to help strengthen the muscles???? am a bit confused because when i do use the stick, my arm doesnt hurt as much...its wierd. I have started doing the heel to toe walking and doing slower, more controlled steps which do help although i can't walk very far yet before I start to waddle and it becomes too hard work. Its been 10 weeks today since my op and i will never regret it but it just seems that I have reached a bit of a stumbling block. Thank you for all the fab advice and friendship on here, its so good to know you have someone to contact when the going gets tough :thankyou:
 
You are welcome. I will tag badgerfan and bellaroma (Beth) for you. The trick is to put the user name directly up against the ampersand. You did it right with mine!
 
well, havent been here for a while and hoping you are all doing well. I had an update at the docs last thursday and I am told I can go back to work, on a phased return, on March 4th, so thats my next milestone. My left arm and neck is still hurting though. Thinking its my posture when walking causing this and i still tend to "lean" a bit. I can walk about half a mile before i get very tired and achy....and i can dance, so I'm happy. :yay:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Had THR on 21st Nov
That being able to dance again is the GREATEST!!!!
 
Well. finally found the time for an update. I started back work on 4th March on a phased return and light duties. That went very well and I am starting back full time after the Easter holidays. I still have some concerns though. I still cannot walk very far without getting exhausted and achy. I am still limping quite a bit although I dont have a stick anymore. What worries me is that my left footwear (my unoperated side) is wearing down much faster than my left footwear (my operated side). Does this mean I have a leg length discrepancy? I have a follow up appointment with an xray in June. Would it be wise to wait until June or will I do more damage waiting this long to sort out the problem. Or maybe this is completely normal? I would be grateful for any advice I can get on this, thank you
 
Hey Linda!

Is this new footwear you are talking about?

Because a lot of my right footwear (also op side) had worn down. This is from pre-op when I would always be putting my weight on my right foot. I reckon it must be the same in your case too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom