Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

It’s such an odd feeling isn’t it?! I just found the cornflakes from the empty box in the fridge lol No idea why hubby thought they needed to be cold.
I’ve been walking around the house without any aids and just using one crutch when I go outside. I think maybe I’ll use them more as I’m tiring when walking. What do you think? Better to walk more with aids than less unaided?
 
Last edited:
Probably, but the aids were so annoying. Unless on uneven ground I just was through with them.
I would say as you tire, rest more, period. They tell you when they've had plenty, whether you want to go back and sit down or not.
Yay for a month out...but ONLY a month out, my bilateral busy buddy:angel:
 
Just been out for a walk. I used two crutches and only walked just over 10 minutes and I’m worn out! I’m not in pain but stiff and tired. I feel I should be able to do more?
 
Maybe it's just me but when ever I have use crutches they completely wear me out. Never mind the broken body part. Be it hip, back, ankle crutches just make it so difficult for me. I snagged my in laws walker years ago (after they had no use for it) and found getting around much less of an ordeal
YMMV
 
I think you are doing great! You had twice as much done as most of us and you need to keep that in mind when you are doing things. Your body has a lot more healing to do than ours did and besides, we are all different so we heal at different rates. I have to agree with @BeBe that using the crutches must be tiring. I've never used crutches but that seems like exercise itself to me. I used a walker and then went to a cane. I guess it all depends on what your doctor has told you to use. Don't push yourself too much as you don't want to join the ODIC (over done it club) :heehee: Don't forget - patience, patience and a bit more patience!!!
 
Thanks @GrannyC and @BeBe. Yes you’re right GrannyC. I needed reminding to take that into account.
 
Just been out for a walk. I used two crutches and only walked just over 10 minutes and I’m worn out! I’m not in pain but stiff and tired. I feel I should be able to do more?
No...ten minutes plenty at one time.
It's going to come.
You are doing great whether you know it or not.
 
Thanks @Mojo333 I was feeling disheartened so appreciate the feedback. I’ll go a bit further each day. The day will come when I’m walking easily, it’s just feeling a bit distant at the moment.
 
Did you see my animated video I posted early on my thread about what We went through?
You are doing super.
It will be worth it to take your time. It will get exponentially better after about 8 weeks if you do right by then now.
I know it might seem to drag....but you've already been using your spare time to give encouragement and comfort to others do it isn't all for naught!:roseshwr:
 
Thanks @Mojo333 your post just made me cry. Don’t know why?! I’ll go and see if I can see the video. I’m just back from a 15 minute walk. I’m pooped and now sitting in my recliner with ice packs and my little Bunny dog on my lap.
Apparently there is new hip surgery that’s been on tellie recently and the patients pretty much just walk out of hospital the next day, no crutches or aids. I’m getting really tired of people telling me about it! Both neighbours have told me in the last two days.... aaah!
 

Don't watch this if you are squeamish...I watched it before my surgery (did freak me out) to educate myself... Actually think it is very well done and just animation.
Also helps you realize WHAT you are recovering from
 
Oh Gretel, please don't give ignorant people (neighbors) like that a second thought.
They have no clue unless they've walked in your shoes. Are these patients your neighbors are talking about on these tv commercials bi-laterals? I highly doubt it.

You've been doing great! I admire your strength, humor and consideration for others while trying to heal yourself. This is a big deal, Gretel. You don't even have a "good leg" to work with as they are both healing.
I can't even imagine. I am in awe of all of the bi-laterals I've followed on this site, you included.

I think a little of the post op blues may be affecting you also. It comes and goes. It's happened to us all.
Just go with it, have a good cry and let it pass. And it will. While you are a month post op. You're still very early days. I consider myself early in recovery at four months out in the entire scheme of things. Compared to 5, 10, 15 yrs etc. Just hold your head high, sweetie and keep up at your own pace. Don't give a thought to others inconsiderate comments, it's not worth your time,
Best Wishes for a peaceful, relaxing rest of your day. You're doing this so well!!!
@Gretel
 
Thanks for finding it for me :) I’d actually started your thread from the beginning again and found it. It’s done me good to reread :)
 
Thanks @Layla, you made me cry too lol
 
Last edited:
Saw you cruising my thread. Here it is. It's an emotional journey too so don't watch now if you aren't in the mood. Of course, this was lateral. But I think it's a good representation of why we need to give ourselves a break.
Maybe not the time for it.
Know I'm rooting for you, you're super girl who will be getting better and better.:console2:
 
See.....post op blues, silly goose!
I think you'll cry today if someone sneezes!
Just roll with it and laugh at yourself....all you can do!
We're here to laugh with you too.:loll:
You're doing great!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom