Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

I might be wrong here but I believe @Josephine worked with some of the pioneering surgeons In hip and knee replacements.
Perhaps when she's back ( and we wish her well ) she'll fill us in a little.
Joe.....
 
I knew Josephine was extremely knowledgeable... But that is very cool. @Josephine ...hope so much that you are doing well. Love and miss you.
 
@Josephine Glad to see you posting. Guess you've read how you were missed. Hope you are doing well!
We floundered around without you. Heavens, with all these needy people it probably feels like you have a passel of children hollering mama, like being pecked to death by ducks.:yahoo:
 
Mojo kinda like creepy I'm not wanting to see mine... I wonder how they saw the old bones off

Lol edit that confession out let the guys pant themselves well . I'm betting you're still beautiful ... I know your heart is
 
Truthful update for those who happened to be following my recovery.
Overview:
Week 1 - relief, alot of pain and meds, anxiety over putting weight on new hips, only made small trips to bathroom, bed, recliner
Week 2 - Bad PT experience, more mobility, more pain, wondering why I did this, lot of dozing
Week 3 - Longer walking, realization hips were actually fixed, all pain was post op not hips, started to overdo
Week 4 - able to skip some pain meds, backed off of overdoing, more measured schedule of walking, easy home PT and able to go to office for several hours per day, consistent icing and elevating, though feeling so much better physically better...post op blues catching up with all the weird new muscle aches and pains
5 Weeks - (present) Doing super well! Still get so tired with average activity, still icing in middle of day and evening. For having both my legs cut off and new hips put in...I am doing extremely well. Can't believe I get caught up on the little things that are still bugging me and worrying about what could still happen instead of celebrating how absolutely great my recovery is coming in the big picture... Not sweating the small stuff! I am so lucky.
 

Don't watch this if you are squeamish...I watched it before my surgery (did freak me out) to educate myself... Actually think it is very well done and just animation.
Also helps you realize WHAT you are recovering from
 
That is the first time I've watched what they did. I had read it before but did not watch. Because it is animated, it isn't that hard to watch and is very interesting. Makes me realize why my thigh still feels rather "tight" I guess you would say. Thanks for posting, Mojo.
 
Guess they used mostly some kind of surgical mesh/ glue, but there's a few sutures as I can feel then strategically placed. Namely at the very top where one is sticking out and knotted. I can feel the others are under the skin. The ones at the top are really bothering me now. Looks like it is puckering the skin as it is closing up.
I think what you have is a subcuticular stitch like this. Sometimes the surgeon fixes it with a knot at each end if it's nylon which needs to be removed. The nurse just snips the knot off one end and draws it out! Or if it's dissolvable, the knot will be buried under the skin and it's left to melt away on it's own.

[Bonesmart.org] Grateful Double Hippy


But sometimes they don't and the end of the suture peeps out and has to be dealt with by the surgeon, the PA or a nurse but using sterile scissors, not your embroidery ones!

Wish I were done with this recovery thing. I'm tired if it.
Oh dear! This 'thing' can take a lot longer than 5 weeks! Did you read the recovery articles Jaycey left you in post #2 of this thread? There's one of activity progression and his one Chart representation of THR recovery.
I wondered if it was and I'm assured that it is. My OS said that after he measured and put liners in the socket one of them had a tiny bit of play in it so that is how he fixed it.
That's not entirely true. Most screws are used because that particular type of hip replacement is designed to be used that way.
Those delicate surgeons use more power tools than a mechanic or a carpenter.
You better believe it! That's why I LOVED orthopaedic surgery! All those love tools and toys to play with! Since I retired, I have actually bought (mostly off Ebay!) a variety of surgical instruments and event a rechargeable drill which is exactly like the one we used in surgery for screws and stuff! It's great!
I should Google when the first hip replacement was done... Bet it's been refined quite a bit.
Joe is correct. I was scrubbing for hip replacements in 1963 no less! And worked with the surgeon who first designed teh modern version of a hip replacement. If you Google it, results will tell you it was 'invented' by Professor Sir John Charnley (a very clever chap, btw) but Ken McKee did it first and was first to use bone cement as well. Charnley on the other hand, was first to use a metal femoral component with a plastic cup. He had a whole slew of other innovative procedures and methods which I won't go into here.

I think I scrubbed for about 90 hip replacements during my time with Ken McKee in the 2½ years I worked there. I never counted how many I've scrubbed for since but it's been a few years about 15 hospitals! McKee also did the first ever knee replacement in 1964 which I also scrubbed for!


Here's some piccies you might find interesting!

The McKee hip
[Bonesmart.org] Grateful Double Hippy


The McKee knee
[Bonesmart.org] Grateful Double Hippy
 
Josephine... That is awesome!!!!!!!!
You must've started your career when you were a tot. You are too hip to be old!
 
I don't believe overzealous is a fair assessment. I am a goal setter. It gives life purpose and there is also gratification from achieving objectives. I have adhd, and a psychiatrist many years ago turned me on to dayplanners and the use of goals to help with my poorly developed organizational skills.

I have been accused of having tunnel vision. That is ok. Having multiple goals going at the same time allows me to view the world as manageable and worth existing in. Having purpose is a good thing. I have never lost my hyperactivity, I am pretty much always in motion. Channeling that energy in a positive direction is a much better solution than self medication or worse.
 
Great pics, I was surprised at how small the implants are in real life. For some reason I thought they'd be huge.

@dougie0216 the boredom is tough esp after the bad hip is removed and you're feeling pretty good and want to get going again but my hips had other ideas ..argh!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@dougie0216 I feared after posting you might be the sort that would take personal offense at me calling you over zealous. I don't know about over... But reading your recovery thread I think zealous is fair! Not an insult by the way.
Jealous and proud that you set high standards and goals for yourself, and I get the ADHD thing. But... Am I'm a brutally honest person... When you make remarks about somebody's light PT being bogus, and infer that taking your meds is sells medicating as weak... AGAINST all professional advice on this forum..... You might unintentionally cause people to feel inferior and inept which is counter productive to people who are recovering from major surgery and are needing support and confidence.
Don't want to have any animosity with anyone... Especially here where I have found so much comfort. Some people are always gonna be in better shape, do better, achieve goals sooner... But us regular folk might just need to take it easy and heal in our own time.
Best wishes on your continued recovery.
 
I screwed up and got stuck at work all day and did ALOT of walking... Like way TOO much. I am icing...elevating... And selfmedicating.
I must be a wimp!!!!
 
Last edited:
No lectures today as I know that you know all about overdoing. Hopefully you managed to get a bit of sleep and that, along with the meds and ice have helped. At least now you have the weekend to recover.

Josephine's background is amazing! What an interesting career she must have had. And because she loved the field of orthopedics so much, I bet she was the very best orthopedics nurse without a doubt!

Are you still using a cane walking around. Did you ever go to the new old PT? I went to PT last Monday and am debating whether to go back or not. I have an appt with so on Tuesday so I'll probably talk to him about it. A couple weeks ago I started feeling stiff after I sat for a few minutes and I thought maybe it was from the PT but I'm not sure. It's not too bade but it just wasn't there for the first few weeks after surgery. It may just be part of the healing process.
 
I'm in limbo... Will be 6 weeks Monday. Already dropped my stuff off to him and they are waiting for my to call back. Think I might see about 2 days per week on some low key stuff like the stationary bike. This therapy place also has an anti-G treadmill??? Thing goes around you so you aren't putting weight down and you can walk? Anybody familiar,?
Yes, thanks for the reprieve o on the lecture. I know I did it and I'm not going to do that again.. Until the next time. Achy, achy... Sore. Stuff jumping when I got still. Will do little tiny bits today and ice and nap!!!
Hope you have a great day
 
Pretty much no cane... Mostly just on uneven ground for stability. I lose it constantly because I get my first steps going then I don't need, lay it down while I'm doing something and forget it. Then need it to get up and can't find it. Guess that's a good sign.
 
Last edited:
O, yeah. As for Josephine. Had absolutely no idea she has been involved in the joint replacement field since it's inception. Is there staff bios I haven't found yet. Very impressive and she is so modest about it. Feel more reassured every day following the Bonesmart philosophy. It's working for me
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom