Bilateral THR Gretel post op<

At 2 weeks out I tried really hard to get up without waking hubby and go to recliner. I scooched my two wheeled walker ever so slightly and as quietly as you can on hardwood floors...paused to stop and try to quietly get ice water bottle out refrigerator...and the whole inside door compartment came off...one with the ketchup and pickle relish and miscellaneous glass jars...sounded like a car wreck.
I was in boohoo stage already so of course he's fixing door, I'm sniffling I just didn't want to wake you up....:cry:
Oh my stars, he sure does love me.:dubious:
 
Hahaha! So funny the stuff we got by with.
If I would have been thinking I should have prepped a list beforehand.
Who knows what we could have wrangled out of them (hubbies) with that big gash in our leg, looking so weak and helpless, schlepping around with a walker.
Man....I wasn't thinking!
 
@Layla No, I can't imagine you conning anybody out of anything. You are way too nice...Plus, when you are so vulnerable after being independent for so long all you can think of is how much a bother you are being on loved ones. I stayed at sister's for first weeks due to step in shower accommodations and her insistence. She and BIL work full time so didn't have who during day but I kept apologizing for being a bother to hubby and them too.
Looking back, I wasn't a bad patient. You just feel so helpless and pitiful.
 
Last edited:
Hey @Gretel, how is my bionic buddy doing?
I'm about to do my Friday at the Food Bank. Really be happy when my day is over although we are preparing for giving out boxes for Seniors tomorrow so week not over. Boxes are about 40 pounds so have small army of university students that BETTER be there to help give out.
Hope you are taking it easy and feeling better.:) :-) (:
 
Hi @Gretel
Thinking of the Fab Four as we move into another weekend.
I hope today is finding you content and pain free.
You've been doing great.....keep it up.
Best wishes for a great weekend!
 
Hi @Mojo333 and @Layla thanks for thinking of me :) Doing okay. I actually had some sleep in my bed last night! Two hours, then toilet and then another two hours. Back in the trusty recliner now. So glad I found out about recliners in here before surgery! I don’t think I’d be getting much sleep at all if we’d not got it.
Don’t work too hard @Mojo333 !
 
The sleep thing does take some time but it will get better. Keep on keeping on. In a few short months you will be dancing.
 
Just ordered my recliner in preparation for recovery after my bilateral on 21st must admit like you I wouldn't have thought about one unless I had been on this forum so much helpful advice and support here. All the best for a brilliant recovery.
 
Thanks @mcopt going okay :) I think you’ll be glad of the recliner! I was lucky. We had one in the family. It started out as my father in laws chair when he was very ill. Next went to a niece who used it to calm her baby when he was tiny. Then her mum had it to recover two knee replacements and shoulder surgery. I wonder who will need it next?!
 
@Gretal I think every family should have a recliner ! We have been working out who could use it next we have all ages from 80's to 8 months in the family don't think there will be any shortage of takers once I have recovered in fact had some requests already ! Have a great weekend.
 
@Gretel. It is 5 in the morning and I'm about to have my first cup of coffee. It is very hard to have someone doing all the things you used to help do. But as I get ready for my normal life today, I actually am proud that I took time for myself during recovery. Not like a lit of choices, of course. But nice to know someone can do while I got well. Only been less than a month. I'm sure I remember it seemed like forever.
When do you return to the doctor?
Hope you have a super weekend!
 
Thanks @Mojo333 having a nice weekend. I do enjoy having hubby home. I see the surgeon for my check up 16th November.
 
You will be strutting by then. Are you doing okay short distances with no walking aids?
Around the house?
 
Yes I’m walking about the house unaided most of the time. If I’m on my feet for a while I grab a crutch. My hips don’t really hurt but feel a bit tight and tired.
 
Very expected and normal. You are doing well. I feel for you. I really have been where you are. No fun but worth it in long run.:friends:
 
I only just realised even when I am more comfy in the car I’ll not be able to go out for too long cause I need the raised toilet seat.
 
I spent first 3 weeks at my sister's home. When I got home, I realised the raised toilet seat I placed over the toilet wasn't going to fit in my bathroom in corner where toilet is.
I didn't know if I was going to use little bucket you put on it...ugh...and my toilet is low.
I just tried using my toilet. I could do it. Maybe you can soon.
 
Last edited:
Not sure if my situation applies to you- I only had one anterior hip replacement. I spoke to the nurse in the OS office and she told me I could go out to lunches, etc. and use the handicapped stall in the bathroom. I haven't tried it yet, but I have two lunches scheduled for this week. The restaurants are just a few minutes away, but I'm so exicited to get out of my house!!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom