Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

Lol I must be a pig cause I never lost my appetite even the night of surgery....
Turkey dinner and soft stuff cause ouch my throat hurt from breathing tube from General Anesthesia..
I would do Ensure and Boost if I lost mine and healthy foods are best
 
I had to laugh at that comment, AussieGirl! I didn't lose my appetite either - I had tried to eat very healthily and lose weight before surgery, and did actually lose a stone and a half over 4 months. The bad news is that in the 11 wks since the op I have managed to put half a stone back on, much to my dismay! Too many snacks and chocolate to reward myself! Just hoping that as I increase exercise and activity it will go again, if not it's back to the diet unfortunately!
Diane
 
It's 230 am ... My legs are so sore. My mouth is dry...I am getting up and trying the recliner. Taking my pill. It is a 4mg Dilaudid to be taken every 6 hrs. Does that sound conservative? Whine, whine.
 
Do whatever you need to.
The early part is a bummer.
All these things will ease I promise (your a bit sick of hearing that I bet). Its not comfortable I know and I feel for you.
Try doing the minimum tomorrow and give that body a wee chance.
Any question just ask here.
Joe.....
 
How long before you were more mobile. What was your PT like Joe? I'm on the fence about it. I won't go back to the PT and I have been resting and giving myself a break... But I do feel like I'm less flexible? I've been doing some walking and leg lifts for quads, easy easy when I am standing. They gave me most of the ones to do at PT that bonesmart warms about overdoing... Leg slides, heel slides (will leave autocorrect for that one) , glut squeezes... If I want to do some because I feel like I'm getting stove up... Been trying to think of tell that it's less cultural but: 'stove up' in the deep South means tightened up, I guess. I will have had my surgery 2 wks Monday. I actually thought I might be back to work part-time! Not happening I'm afraid..
 
Mojo.
Have a look at the hip recovery guidelines posted on your thread on May 1st. Especially points about PT and Recovery progression. Add at least half on again for Bi lateral.
I'll get back to you later with some answers to your questions.
Its all NORMAL.
Joe........
 
I remember going over it...needed to re-read. When I read it before I remember thinking that that was gonna be for regular people... So I will exceed those expectations. Perhaps I will...but for now...I'll just work on patience. Aaarggh...
 
@Mojo333 I think we have all had bad nights. Then we don't get much sleep and the world seems a bit grayer I guess you could say. Hopefully thenpain med helped and you were able to get at least a little more rest.

As far as the PT, maybe when you go back for your checkup, you can tell them about your PT experience and say you would like some PT but there is no way you can go back to the same place. Ask them for a script for s new PT place and I can't see why they wouldn't give you that. From reading on here, it doesn't sound like there is s rush to get started on the PT anyhow. I see some people that don't start for several weeks after surgery which makes sense since our bodies are so busy healing. My surgeon told me you really don't need PT for hip replacement recovery but he did give me a script for it and the script says for strength and range of motion.

Just think back to your surgery and you couldn't even move after and now look at you getting around quite well. Each day brings a tiny bit of improvement. We fall back a bit at times but overall we keep moving ahead!
 
@Mojo333, I still end up going out to my recliner most nights/early mornings. I find sleeping on my back is just very uncomfortable, so it's nice to head out to the recliner and read for a bit then fall asleep there. I'm sure it's far less disruptive for my wife as well since I'm not tossing and turning in the bed.

As far as PT goes, I think you just have listen to your body. My surgeon likened it to walking off sore muscles, although if it hurts too much... I really don't think resting for a few extra days to let things heal more is really going to be detrimental to you in the long run. I think physio tends to be uncomfortable which is ok, if it's actually painful though... that's when you need to take a break and back off.
 
I will have had my surgery 2 wks Monday. I actually thought I might be back to work part-time!
:shocked: After BTHR? No way after a single THR but you had 2 my friend. Here's a thread you need to read. Add extra time to the recommended as this is for a single replacement: Phased return to work
 
Just read it .Jeez... Am I ignorant? Someone just sent me this, don't want to be a quote carrier...but really appreciated it: tell yourself it'll be better tomorrow. And tomorrow, if it isn't better tell yourself again. Because soon tomorrow will be better.
 
Now I'm singing 'Annie' in my head...I need to get out more!
 
Mojo.
11 days post Bi-Lateral Hip Surgery.
Its not even early days, its earlier than that.
What you do over the next few weeks is crucially important to your recovery.
These early days are much harder that Single Hip because everything is done without a good leg to help you.
Later on the recovery is much the same as One hip.
Keep your PT to an absolute minimum. I learned over the early weeks that if you push too hard you'll pay the price the next day.
Unless your work is very sedentary you should not even consider going back till at least 8 weeks and at that only a phased return.
Walk short distances regularly and eat and sleep well as much as possible.
If you can do less tomorrow that today don't worry because you will be able to do a bit more the next day.
Do not consider reducing your meds either because not only are they easing your discomfort they are assisting your recovery.
Oh and its ok not to feel the best emotionally, in fact its normal. This big Irishman Cried with frustration on more than one occasion.
You will get there fellow Hippie.
Tip (go) over to my thread and read one of my recent posts. That's where your going to be if you look after yourself now.
Joe.......
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the encouragement. I can't believe how vulnerable I have left myself. My team is at the food bank today as they have the National Letter Carriers Food Drive across the USA where people leave food by their mailboxes to go to their local food bank. Please donate if you can friends. I wanted to be there in a supervisory position...but hell. I'm useless! If I could be there I'm one step over being an invalid. And it's raining!
 
Next year you'll be raiding the mailboxes yourself.
Slow and easy wins the race.
Joe.......
 
I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?
 
Patience is key. I had bilateral surgery, too, but I took a long and careful recovery. It's worth it. You can't rush this...it's too major a surgery. It's probably the most difficult thing you have done. It's gets easier with time, but you have to go very gradually. My surgeon said that simple household tasks are good physical therapy. I found that to be very true. Little by little.
 
I did ALOT of napping yesterday... Wish I would have caught Josephine yesterday because she has reminded me of very useful tools on this site that are great coping aides. I know had I even been able to go yesterday I would've been useless.
 
Happy mother's day all of you mother's. Glad I've got one...glad I am one ( most of the time, lol. Mine are 21 and 25)
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom