Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

Mojo, I saw your post about meds in another thread. I think it really varies a lot from one person to the next. With having both hips done, maybe you will need them slightly longer than someone else. You probably should just follow instructions you were given and then all dr office if you have any questions about them. It's nice you got the recliner. It is a good place to sleep when the bed is not comfortable. I go for my first postop checkup tomorrow.

I wonder if you would go to one cane or two or how that works with a bilateral?? When do you go for your first postop checkup?
 
Next week, on the 16th. I don't think the surgeon wants to see you til you quit hating on them. I was up so much last night..when I got up the last time, I was frozen...drawn up, hurting EVERYWHERE. Felt like I did three or four days ago. Moving around has gotten me back to comfortable but though pain meds at night definitely put me out for much needed rest, I feel like it freezes me up when I crash that hard. On good note, my stepmother gave me a sheepskin that I rolled up part way to put under my knees and my heels rested on...worked like a charm. Apparently sheepskin is used to prevent bedsores, etc. Kind of hot...but using fan, was a great improvement.
 
Don't have any idea how the came thing will work, or two sticks!!! Hope you don't have to travel far to see your doctor. How has riding been for you. I have low sitting Toyota, pretty handy for getting in and out of, not so comfy for riding far, bucket seats not so great. Hope they say all is well with you.
 
Thank you Lord I had a chronic condition that I could decide to do something about. Could be that I was diagnosed with something I 'just have to live with' When I catch myself with a lack of gratitude...I remind myself of this. I feel so lucky in so many ways.
 
My trip to dr is just over an hour and we have a pickup truck so the seats are much better and higher than yours after surgery I think. Bucket seats, especially after bilateral, would be pretty tough!! I actually have not been in a vehicle since I came home from the hospital. My PT came to the house 3 times so I haven't needed to go out.

Sorry about the sleep issues. Could it be that you are trying to do too much or walking too much during the day? Maybe just try a day of almost nothing except bathroom trips and see if that helps. You have so much healing going on there so if you overdo you might pay for it at night. I'd definitely keep using plenty of ice, too. I'm not any sort of a medical person but from reading on here, those would be my thoughts.
 
@Mojo333 I saw your post on another thread about pain meds. From all that I've read on here and what the hospital told me, we don't need to worry about addiction if we follow the instructions on the meds and don't take more than prescribed. If you are in pain, it sounds like it is very important to take those pain meds on a regular basis until the pain subsides. Your body can't work on healing if it is stressed with pain. Just a thought but I don't like to see you in pain and unable to sleep. :sad:
 
Thank you. Yep, I took your advice and have done minimum walking today. Been taking my meds. I do feel like when I don't move enough my muscles feel like they are drawing up. I'm trying to stretch and move. I'm bored!!!!!! Trying not to get bummed. Hate to be a whiner. But yes... I've made arrangements to borrow sisters vehicle to make my list op next week. How about your post op@GrannyC?
 
My postop went very well. I just put it in my thread. This appt was with PA and next is in 4 weeks with OS. Riding to dr was fine and we stopped for supper on our way home so that was good, too. Glad you are feeling a bit better! It was the first time I've been out since the surgery so it seemed good.

Have you tried reading at all? I couldn't seem to get into reading the first week to ten days it seemed but I started s book yesterday and it seemed good to read rather than watch tv. Just a thought...
 
Hi sweetie you and I seem so alike, wanna do, sleep so so.... bored.... I too have a low car bucket seats been on a million rides... doctor and nurses told me pillow with a plastic bag to slide in helps and it does... it's great you have someone to borrow or hop a ride from but we don't ... I had 1 X-ray since surgery still in the socket... I agree ....time crawls
 
I have gotten some family members to get me down a few steps, yes, to get some fresh air is great. We have a heat wave going on this week in the low 90s F, and I realized these meds and heat are dizziness problems. I sit on the porch early mornings as long as I can.
 
Day 8 post op. New recovery discovery!!! Maybe just my experience...but 1st days hell until meds figured out...days 4- 6 better hopeful, pain so much less, overdid it some. Days 7 &8...swelling down, numbness dissipating, and now I feel ALL of my leg muscles and tendons again! Oh my stars!!!! Feels like I was strung up by my arms and my legs used for punching bags. Tender to the touch... Massage... Gentle gentle massage does help but with feeling back, extreme pain easing and excessive soreness increasing. Harder to move. Might be a good thing for newbies to be aware of? Anyone had that sensation a week out?
 
Last edited:
We all hate auto correct and can easily relate! Wow! Look at you and how far you have come in just over a week! That is amazing! It sounds like it is still a bit frustrating not to be able to be a bit more comfortable and move a little more on your own but when you think how how felt in those few days after the surgery compared to how you feel now, it is incredible. You are doing very well.
 
Yes, sometimes LITERALLY 2 steps forward...one step back...lol. But means we are still a step ahead. Think if anyone is following me that we mention how important giving our body proper nutrition is. I smoked cigarettes and have not been a junk food eater, but wasn't above popping some donuts and am not in the least a health nut. But with lack of appetite and convenience if processed foods, I feel it is very important to put the best things in our body now. Yummy cold canned fruit has been my go to...and gallons of water out of my handy hospital sippy cup! Easy to want to cut down on hydration when it means extra trips to the potty!!!!
 
I had a friend who said she didn't have much appetite after surgery so she picked up a few cans of Boost. It sounded like a good idea so I got a pack of Ensure high protein before my surgery and used one most days that first week after surgery. They are a bit pricey but I felt it was worth it in those first days.
 
I almost forgot about protein drinks. I want to say I don't like them but don't know that I've ever tried them. Good back up...
 
I got chocolate Ensure and it was similar to chocolate milk. I kept it in refrig.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom