Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

Having a good day. Brunch out here at my sisters convalescent home...lol. Beautiful sunny day, had wonderful shower this morning, incisions looked good when I changed them. Um, let me rephrase--not good but not angry. Been walking quite a bit and with some help got off of the porch!!! Felt this week like there was an invisible fence around those 3 steps... Legs still weak, but moving. Little swelling around ankles... But I leave my stupid stockings of more than I'm supposed to. Hate those things. Hope everyone is having a good day
 
Happy Mother's Day sweetie be I think you had a full day from the sounds of it we all need that I don't have to do steps as we built a ramp in my garage for the dog I adored that passed in July ... arthritis...it sure helps me...bit that you did them YAY
 
Well, another up and down night. But 2 or 3 hours sleep at a time is actually infinitely better than the horrible time I was having trying to sleep with hip OA. Keep having to remind myself how bad it had really gotten. Hope my fellow hippies slept some.
 
2 weeks out today!!!Hope you had a good Mother's Day also @MyAussieGirl . Getting up this morning didn't seem so bad as far as my mobility. Things are not near so tight and didn't take so long to get myself moving. Some of those shooting pains have subsided. As post op pain gets less, my ability to see how much of a difference surgery has made to my hip pain. Maybe I did do the right thing after all!!!
 
Yes, by all means let me know if you think you did the right thing, because if it was the wrong thing I'm not going to do it either


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I go for first post op Dr appointment tomorrow morning. Can anyone attest to what I might expect. Just a ' hi, how are you coming along?' meeting or any exam???
 
Hey, @gaulsuerou . Because of someone I know revealing he had bilateral replacement and this forum, I told myself that because if the trauma of surgery, I should expect that I was gonna be hating life for the first 2 weeks. So, I have kept that in mind when I thought, this is to much. But it is getting better, and yes it IS one of the hardest things I personally have ever done... But if I didn't believe, and I believe it more today than I did yesterday, that the payoff was gonna be huge, I would have squandered another 4 years of my life but suffering through endstage OA.
 
My first postop was with a PA. They took an X-ray, she took my bandage off, checked incision, answered my questions, told me to stay on baby aspirin for 4 more weeks, no more stockings, asked me a couple questions, said my X-rays looked great and that was it. They gave me next appt in 4 weeks with OS. There really wasn't much to it.
 
Good, that's what I thought. Thank you. Hope you are having a good day!!!
 
Thanks @Mojo333, still having second thoughts, and I am certain that this will be the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place I need a quality-of-life or just shoot me now. I just don't want to go through all of this, I've only had one other surgery and that was on my ankle that started this whole snowball effect.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My boyfriend who will be my primary care taker keep s downplaying the severity of all this, he seems to think I will leap off the operating table and be able to do a couple laps around the block. He thinks I'm stupid to want to give my own blood pre-surgery, he just doesn't get it. He gets mad at me because I keep reading reading reading wanting to know everything I can about what is in store


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I get it. And I really had this decided when I finally got a diagnosis, so had less than 6 weeks between to stress over it. Inform yourself, sure, but go ahead and wear those suckers out. Go try and do what you can... Outside if possible.
 
And I really don't think it's helpful to downplay the seriousness of getting a major surgery time to recover. He needs to get it, too. You will need sympathy and support at times. Too much too fast as you've heard will harm your recovery.
 
I obviously underestimated how long before I was going to be able to go back to work, etc. But I'm getting well, and the hip pain is GONE, I can get through this aggravating sometimes painful ****. Hell I was a pro at it beforehand.
 
Been noticing I start having aching headache when my pain meds begin to wear off. Opiates? Side effects?
 
Sorry I never got back to you before - just had surgery!

Here y'go then!

It would be very helpful if you would answer each one individually - numbered as I have done - in as much detail as you can then I'll come back as see where you are

1. what approach did you have for your surgery? Anterior, posterior, lateral? You can look here to see the various types THR approaches or incisions

2. what are your pain levels right now? (remember the 1-10 scale: 1 = no pain and 10 = the worst you can imagine)

3. what pain medications have you been prescribed, how much are you taking (in mg please) and how often?

4. are you icing your painful area at all? If so, how often and for how long?

5. are you elevating your leg. If so how often and for how long?

6. what is your activity level? What do you do in the way of housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc., and

7. are you doing any exercises at home? If so what and how often?
This is the most crucial question so please help me by using the format I have left as an example
(which means please make a list and not an essay!)

Exercises done at home
- how many sessions you do each day
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.

Anything done at PT
- how many times a week
- enter exercise by name then number of repetitions of each
etc., etc.
 
1. Anterior
2. 2 or 3 on pain meds, few times I laid off maybe 6 or 7
3. Dilaudid 4 mg every 6 hours
4. 20-30 minutes icing several times per day after most physical activity
5. Elevating in recliner throughout day, pillow under legs at night...
6. Last few days, put on laundry, and loaded dishwasher. Try to get upire and get my own water etc instead of having it brought to me. Taking 2 hour nap in afternoons.
7. While sitting in chair do leg lifts for my quads 3-4 times per day Doing a few up and down shallow steps per day. Try to do approximately 10 her slides out to side in mornings. Get up mostly mornings when I feel better for 15-30 minutes. Walking for 6-7 sitting for 5, walking again. By afternoon, really worn out.
 
@Josephine Haven't gone back to PT at orthopedic.. Post op tomorrow at 9 am.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom