Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

Not as many sharp stinging pain at sides if my legs... Seems like leg muscles are super sore now that some of that really bad pain is subsiding.
 
2. 2 or 3 on pain meds, few times I laid off maybe 6 or 7
Which just goes to show that you need the pain meds!
3. Dilaudid 4 mg every 6 hours
You should try taking Tylenol 1,000mg with the Dilaudid. Assuming, that is, that there is no Tylenol (acetaminophen) in the Diluadid.
4. 20-30 minutes icing several times per day after most physical activity
You accomplish little or nothing in 20 minutes. Ice for at least 40-60mins and more than 4 times a day.
6. Last few days, put on laundry, and loaded dishwasher. Try to get up and get my own water etc instead of having it brought to me. Taking 2 hour nap in afternoons.
You're two weeks out! You shouldn't be doing laundry or loading the dishwasher yet! Did you read the recovery articles? Specially this one? Activity progression for THRs
7. While sitting in chair do leg lifts for my quads 3-4 times per day Doing a few up and down shallow steps per day. Try to do approximately 10 heel slides out to side in mornings. Get up mostly mornings when I feel better for 15-30 minutes. Walking for 6-7 sitting for 5, walking again. By afternoon, really worn out.
This is your problem. Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.
Haven't gone back to PT at orthopedic
Glad to hear it!
 
@Josephine sorry I didn't know what surgery you had but I sure hope everyone is being as good to you as you have been to us! Best wishes for speedy recovery!!!
 
Thank you for the advice. I am going to get Tylenol... Still on the low dose aspirin been in since surgery... Twice per day 81 mg. I am sitting with frozen peas in my legs as we speak. I'm listening @Josephine. Thanks for getting back to me.
 
To tell you the truth, I have done very little PT up to this point. I do walk around in the house quite a bit and sometimes go out and walk in the yard. I fill and empty the dishwasher and cook dinner for my husband and I. I also do some sewing but that is sitting and not much different that reading s book as far as exertion goes and I feel good. By evening I am a little tired. Still each day I find I've made progress. For example, I noticed I can now sit in certain chairs without putting my leg out in front a little bit. It is easier to move my legs more freely in and out of bed and yesterday when I was going down the 2 steps to go outside, I totally forgot and went down the steps like in the old days and it was fine. I felt it only a tiny bit in my thigh.

The whole point of that long story is that my surgeon told me the same thing Josephine said. You don't need the PT to heal. He did still give me a script for PT but says for strength and range of motion. The PT that came to my house was great and showed me things I could do but didn't push me to do a certain number. I startboutpatient PT tomorrow so I'll see how that goes.

Good luck at your dental visit tomorrow. It is always reassuring to hear they tell you that you are doing well.
 
Hey sweetie I had a great Mother's Day, thanks and it sounds good that you are tweaking things to make you more comfortable.... I hope you get better control with sleep and pain soon. I just started PT and it went great was easy and they didn't push me any. I'm just to build my abductors more

Good luck with the dentist
 
Thanks my friends.. No dentist, follow up with Dr this morning. Don't know if it will be with surgeon or probably just the PA. Slept for few hours in bed... Now I'm back in the recliner. Oh my stars, can't wait to be able to turn on my side. Never slept on my back in my life and it's hard to stay asleep. Gonna try to snooze for a few more hours.
 
Hey hippies. Hope you are having a good day. Dr appointment went well. Took x-rays... uncomfortable... But I got to leave my bandages off... Wrote me a script if I want to go to a different PT , refilled my medicine. I'm so worn out it's stupid! Have been taking it easy as there is a muscle/tendon in the calls of my right leg acting stupid for some reason. Been icing more often and for longer per Josephine- helping ALOT.
 
By the way... Might seem small thing, but let's talk underwear. Guess men have the boxer option, but I bought a package of fruit of the loom high cut briefs one size larger than needed, and they aren't my usual sort but they work perfectly with these incisions. The one size up makes them looser to scoot into...very helpful!!!
 
Better rest last night, hoping the same for all recovering. Up and around. I'm a little befuddled how my good leg has now changed into my bad leg. Guessing I've been relying on it more so now it's sore. My groin muscle are particularly tight today. About to ice legs and eat grapes. Gonna be by myself for most of the day so I've been forbidden by my wonderful partner to do much. I'm tired if trying to amuse myself. They took my bandages off and they look better since they've been airing out.
 
17 days Mojo.
Your hip is still a baby.
Treat it like one today and give it a bit of rest.
You've got this Figured.
Joe......
 
I'm a little befuddled how my good leg has now changed into my bad leg.
Well, you posted this yesterday after your outing:
Took x-rays... uncomfortable...
I'm so worn out it's stupid!
When you are active and doing new things your hips are bound to complain. The muscles now have to work more. They are still very much recovering from major trauma. Plan a rest day after each active day. Pretty soon the rest days will fade away.

You are doing really well @Mojo333 !
 
Thanks all for the encouragement. It really does help. Don't know how I happened up on this forum but it has truly made my recovery easier. Thank you bonesmart!
 
I asked the doctor yesterday about some water therapy... My daughter is a lifeguard at a large water park, and I talked on another thread about getting in the ocean. Obviously my incisions aren't healed but I have surgical mesh and glue. How long before it is healed up can someone tell me? Also, not supposed to put anything on incisions themselves but wonder if can put coconut oil on skin around where it is pulled so tight and the skin was torn off changing dressings for two weeks where few days. Pulled so tight right there. Gnarly looking!
 
I just touched my toes sitting up in a chair. A-MAZING...my hips are working!! That would've been excruciating... Was excruciating..17 days ago
 
How long before it is healed up can someone tell me?
This is different for everyone. I would discuss this with your surgeon's office. You won't be able to get into the water until the incision area is totally healed.

Regarding water therapy - be very careful with this. It is very easy to over do as you are weightless in the water.

Gently massage something on those areas around the incision but you are right - on directly on it. Let nature take it's course healing up that incision.
 
Hi I am nearly 3 weeks post op for bilateral hard to begin with but each day is a little better. I am taking it slowly doing exercise when I feel fine everything seems to be going well but as everyone says patience and more patience. It will get better Yvonne
 
@Cadaval Nice that you are doing well. Good to see someone right ahead of me in their recovery. Will check out your recovery thread.
 
So glad to get up this morning. Did a LOT of resting yesterday but tired if trying to get comfortable better the bed and recliner last night. Still bb been sleeping in the bed with small rise under knees. Trying to remember if they told me to do that or I just figured that was most comfortable.

How are other bilaterals positioning themselves in bed.

I know my groin and (darn, why didn't I pay more attention to anatomy in school) whatever muscles are between abdomen and hips got extremely weak and distorted so that I walked bent over for several years prior to diagnosis... So flat out pulls a lot of those.

But maybe I should be stretching them out? Always slept on side, too SCARED for that I think.

@GrannyC how are you managing sleep position?

@Irish Joe Do you remember hope you managed and when/if you transitioned to side?
 
Last edited:

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom