Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

No need to be frightened. Nervous and anxious is normal. Keep an eye on mojo's posts and track her progression.
Stay on track.
Joe......
 
Oh my stars... This forum made me too anxious to even say anything the last few days lest I scare somebody to death. On a walker... Left hospital yesterday...PT rough rough... But definitely helping. I've had the boo hoos a few times but I'm trying to toughen up. Keep me in your prayers...
Hi @Mojo333, I hope you're feeling better. I'm sorry to hear that PT was so rough. I hope you were able to say no to them. I felt like they expected too much, so I did far less. It's normal to cry...it's such an intense experience, especially emotionally. You made it through the surgery, though. The first few days are the worst. I hope you are taking your pain meds and that they are working well. The ice really helps, too. My prayers are with you. I did the bare minimum with PT. There's plenty of time. I'm pain free now, and it was all totally worth it.
 
@Mojo333 you can always tell pt to slow down, they have no clue what it's like to get a thr, let alone two!

@gaulsuerou surgery fear is normal and is something most of us experienced. Many new hippies are quiet after surgery because they are resting and on meds that make them drowsy. It may help you to read some of the many positive bilateral recovery threads such as Hip Hip Hooray's (above), djklaugh, bilateral jim. Click on the yellow box where it says bilateral for a list. HHH chronicled her experience with great detail, I found it helpful when I was pre op to focus on the many positive stories here.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mojo,
Thinking of you and hoping that you are starting to feel a bit better now. The log leg feeling will start to subside soon, and your mobility will improve. It's very normal to feel emotional and down after the op, so don't beat yourself up about it.
Sending you hugs and healing wishes,
Diane
 
Thank you @Horseshoe. I've been reading your thread. I've got to finish it. You're right, it does take time to feel like posting after this surgery. (especially a bilateral.) You are busy with your meds, icing, doing your basic tasks, and PT exercises. (if you do them.) Hopefully the newbies are sleeping and healing. Rest is best. It takes a lot of energy to do small things after surgery.
 
I'm just totally terrified, not sure I have the right support system at home, I know I have to do it, I know it is irreversible, I just don't know if I have the stomach for it. I am not a wimp but I don't want it to go horribly wrong.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@gaulsuerou.
Realising all these things show that your strong and concerned. I tell you I certainly wasn't prepared. Its the great unknown. When you get to the other side your positivity will grow because the dreadful pain will be gone.
PM me if your really scared or concerned about something but stick with it with the forum and keep posting here publicly
Joe.........
 
Sorry for the delay in posting. Been a little doped up and a little dumpy. Seems like this past week since my surgery, I've been reverted back to firsts. First steps, first car ride, first shower...All traumatic and, close your ears...All those with sensitive sensibilities...At 3 am 1st poop!!!! Oh my stars, what a dilemma. Happy it was finally happening, but hard to sit on the throne long enough to pee...Much less relax and pass a tennis ball. Not really, but felt like it could've been. Almost passed out, had to call family for help, degrading.. But I am feeling So Much Better today. Every morning kind of feels like a new beginning because everything gets so tight. @gaulsuerou , felt somewhat like not living up to optimistic expectations... But I am feeling better everyday and keep reminding myself it hasn't even been a week.
 
I have a sporty walker and look no hands ... and NO HIP JOINT pain. Plenty of other incision/muscle pain from surgery, but along with the drugs, have slept 4 hours at a time without flipping and crying in my sleep as I have for the last three years. Look no hands

[Bonesmart.org] Grateful Double Hippy
 
@Josephine alot of let pain is when stretching legs out when walking... Burning hot poker, incision stretching??? PT says although they did anterior approach and didn't cut through quads, they cut through tiny nerves, and that's what I feel. It can be intense! Sound reasonable to you?
 
Mojo333, wow! You have come a long way and it sounds like you are doing great!

I can't address your pain issues other than to remind you to ice lots and keep up with the meds you were prescribed.

All in all I thought your report was very positive. I wish you all the best!
 
Day 6 Post Op. Mornings always make me feel like I'm starting over in my progress. But here is what I've learned this week. The braver you think you are, the bigger the wimp you are the first few days... Your Independence is gone and it is hard. Please know that it was shockingly hard for me but my confidence and hopefulness have returned. Home exercises.. Leg slides, glut exercises, etc... Although painful, I do them in small increments... And then when I'm up walking my pain is not near as bad. Stretching all that out is imperative to my mobility right now. I learned to give up worrying about what I can't do and concentrate on my recovery and RELAXING... I don't know when all the post op pains and issues will resolve but I already know that when it does, I will have my life back. My hips do not feel like they are artificial, though the images would suggest otherwise. Lying down in the bed with my legs straightened out and not having excruciating pain is a miracle. Can't wait till I can lay on my side... May be able to now but too scared to try. I manage a local food bank and with mostly volunteers I hate that I can't be up there to help right now as they are preparing for our biggest food drive if the year next weekend. I think I unrealistically thought I could be up there in a supervisory capacity but really think that might be pushing it.
 
Last edited:
Irish Joe, Jaycey, GrannyC ... can't name all (right now only able to access/post using my phone which is slow when you are on drugs) EVERYONE'S insight has been super helpful. I don't really care for social media and don't actively communicate that way, but this has been the thing for my preparation and recovery!!!!
 
Hee hee...BEAR with me...See what I mean
 
You are doing so well and are right to focus on the improvements. All that other pain will gradually subside over the next few weeks as you heal and get stronger. Keep taking it slowly, try not to worry about work for now and concentrate on your recovery.
Take care!
Sam x


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hey Mojo - just read your thread! Sounds like you have a good attitude. Yes, this time is tough but only you can know the joy of having both legs stretched out with no hip pain! I told the surgeon during surgery that I already felt better. I'm at the start of my fifth week, but just one hip, and I can now walk with a cane, am crapping regularly (the joy, the joy!) and for the last two nights slept on my side. I made the tortoise my spirit totem for this time. Saw physio for first time on Friday and told him that I would try the exercises he gave me but would not push through any pain or otherwise compromise the natural healing my body is capable of accomplishing without ambition! Hang in there and let your work place fully appreciate you by not being there. Trust the world to turn...
 
Mojo, you have really come a long way this week. I can relate to not being a social media person since I'm not either. I use the computer quite a bit but not the social media sites. Since the surgery I mostly use my phone or my iPad and I think everyone can relate to the auto correct! You get so caught up on typing on this tiny keyboard, that you don't notice the device changing your words. I especially liked the "post office" change. It made me smile but I knew what you really meant.

I'm sure at work the volunteers will give a little extra help to assist and it all will go just fine. You definitely don't want to try and go there and risk taking a step backwards. Right now you need every bit of strength and energy to heal your body. Then you will be ready to go back to work.

Keep focusing on the steps forward you have accomplished. You are doing so well!
 
Anybody including nurse relate to those weird awful burning pains from extending legs further than baby steps going up sides of legs parallel to incisions. Feels like I'm tearing something loose? Nurse @Josephine ?
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom