Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

@Iabanan comforting to see how you feel it is going at 5 weeks... Trying do figure how cane will work with bilateral? My palms and shoulders smart!!!
 
Mojo, I think Josephine had some sort of surgery herself on 5/3 so she hasn't been around for a few days now. Maybe try @Jaycey for the burning question on previous page.
 
Hi Mojo.
I felt something like that burning also early in recovery. It annoyed me for a few days then it slowly went away.
Re the cane, I found using crutch/crutches not the underarm ones easier and used them till I didn't need any.
Continued Improvement Wishes.
Joe.......
 
Anybody including nurse relate to those weird awful burning pains from extending legs further than baby steps going up sides of legs parallel to incisions. Feels like I'm testing something loose?
All post op pain. Are you taking your pain meds around the clock as prescribed? Are you icing and elevating frequently during the day?
 
@Josephine @Jaycey Intense burning pain is as I'm walking. The more I try to extend my legs and get off of baby steps, there is a searing stinging pain seems to run parallel to my incisions... When I mentioned it to PT, afraid I was tearing something loose in there, she said it might be the little nerves they cut. It was anterior approach so no major muscles cut, but I have surgical mesh/glue... And she said not from that but from nerves. Does that sound feasible? Anyone else experience that feeling. Hard to get better gait when it can be pretty intense.
 
@Jaycey Icing regularly, helps while sitting obviously and been pretty good about the pain meds though fighting constipation side effects so have missed a few times for it... Only bad when walking
 
@Irish Joe Crutches make more sense... Am able to balance and bear more weight but that flesh tearing sensation makes me super cautious... Won't have follow up with surgeon until 16th... May call their office and ask. No wonder they set the appointment for over 2 weeks. They hope you quit hating them by then
 
@Mojo333 You are only days out of major surgery. Everything you are feeling is post op pain. Rest, ice, elevate and meds. Limit your activity for now. You are in healing mode. You don't need to try and take a big stride yet. Baby steps for now. Let everything settle from the trauma of surgery.
 
I am gonna slow it down some... Really tired! I have PT in the morning!!! Thanks for the advice...
 
@Mojo333, I had pain when walking after my bilateral surgery, too. My thighs were really tender. It got better with time, the first few days were the worst. It's probably because you missed your medication. I only did that once, and my pain level soared. It was a difficult lesson. You really want to stay ahead of the pain. It gets easier to walk; it just takes time. I used a walker, which I preferred. The ice really helped, too. It sounds normal to me. I would do very minimal PT. There's plenty of time. Hope you are feeling better.
 
I'm sure you are right. Have been more mindful of taking meds on time. Overdid it yesterday, having really bad night. Actually, really bad is harsh considering all the awful night's prior to surgery. Family get together because son graduated from college Fri night and I missed it. But I was up too much...I am grateful for the patience (no pun intended) on this form. Hope all are doing well
 
At only days out of what was actually 2 major ops please slow down! Far too early for family gatherings and all that activity. I would not recommend active PT either unless it is very gentle.
 
Mojo.
When you say you missed the family gathering I assume you Did Not attend.
If that's the case then you are very wise. A week out is way to early for attending stuff.
This forum is littered with Folks who did stuff too early and paid the price myself included.
As Jaycey says 2 major surgeries. Only one sleep but 2 surgeries. Double the post op pain, double the energy drain etc and no good leg to stand on.
You seem to have this sorted so keep posting. I know there are a couple of future Bi-Laterals keeping an eye on you. Well done so far.
Keep Posting.
Joe..........
 
I've only had one hip done, albeit on my second one. I can't imagine what it must be like, with no good leg backup. So anyone who goes through this are extremely brave. But all I can say is everyday I see a slight improvement, so hang in there! Keep strong, lots of nourishing food and rest my hip friend!

Ali
 
I did not attend the event... I had a post grad family get together yesterday...Low Country Boil.. Don't know what it is called other places? Big pot of sweet small red potatoes, sweet white corn cobettes, onions, andouille sausage, and mounds of fresh shrimp boiled in Old Bay Seasoning and fresh herbs. Delicious. First time I've eaten much of anything. Hope my stool softeners working Had 1st outpatient therapy this morning. Terrible set up, very insensitive staff, cried all the way home. Now I'm over it. Not Gonna let it define my day. I've come to far and have enough on my plate. Would've been nice if it was at least a supportive place but I think I am doing great. 4 days ago I thought I would never be the same, but now I just know it's only time... And got no choices about that now. Glad to have all of your support. Hope I will be helpful to other bilat hippies one day soon. Not quite that confident yet, it is truly SO HARD!!!
 
Had 1st outpatient therapy this morning. Terrible set up, very insensitive staff, cried all the way home.
Please don't feel obligated to go to PT. It really isn't needed for hips and if staff are insensitive then it's the last thing you need! If you feel you want PT then I would ask for another referral to a better place.
 
Yip.
Your in charge at PT.
Next time you go (if you go at all) tell them your only doing minimal exercises or go somewhere else.
You really are doing a great Job this early on.
......Low Country Boil...... We don't have that in Ireland. But I want to go to your next get together "yum".
Joe......
 
Already decided that I was gonna drop the PT. Most of the exercises are ones I can do at home, little more convenient with they therapy tables and etc, and they had me up Thurs at the hospital doing therapy and at least they had a very cheerleader type staff. My left leg it's still as GrannyC warned me- a log leg... It doesn't go on it's own like my right so I have to physically pick it up to move it... The PT would say okay do heel slides 20 each side and then walk off or during a few she stayed there but didn't even count out loud so I could tell where I was at. She said you need to move this left leg over so I can get this sliding board under your other for, I would say well it doesn't move on it's own. The other place would let me attempt it, then physically move it for me to help. This lady didn't when look okay me most of the time, or encourage me. I had years by the end of it. They put a big wedge under my knees and Ice packs and set a timer. Timer goes off. Little tech girl gets the Ice bags. I'm exhausted, hitting and finally PT seems tech over and says you're done. I said you got that right. After 2 minutes she says again, you're done. I say yes we'll I can't remove this wedge from under my legs myself. She tells tech' help her get that out' and the dummy comes over and starts pulling it out without liftng my legs off of it or anything. I said hold up don't let my legs drop... Quads non existent. They let me walk out of PT room unassisted on my walker when I was dizzy, mad and hurting. My family member sees me come out from back... Crying, says you ok. I said in the crowded waiting room, no I'm not. That's the worst PT I've ever been to and I wasnt going back.
 
Last edited:
Irish Joe, it's the best thing in the world with fresh wild caught shrimp. Hope it's not a week before I get rid of it. Back to that again
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom