Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

Maybe you grew up "living" in the Okefenokee Swamp like we did. Dad was such a good reader of Pogo....he even made us girls a "Pogo boat" for the mini-lake (2 feet deep at the most) in the river at our tree farm. We loved it. No fishing though-- nothing to catch so far as we knew. Cottonmouths, I guess. No Thank You!
 
No. But yes, I know Pogo..love the Okefenokee...beautifully wicked black water and old Spanish moss laden cypresses. I'm an air force brat transplanted here as a teen.
I guess all the military base living set me up for a true love of non industrial spaces, though I lived in Houston for a while, I adore the country. And water of all kinds, and the beauty of nature in general.
Jealous for those who grew up with that surrounding, jealous if those who live near the water.
My dream is to work with the parks system as an interpretive guide and live near the coast.
For now, there are people to feed, and bills to pay:umm:
 
Last edited:
Yes, big fisherman I am. I have a Zebco Spiderman pole I refuse to share with great nieces and nephews after they refuse to put up and ruined my first lucky pole. It is for a small child so my klutzy self can't hang it up or hurt spectators. The pond has huge large mouth bass that I leave to BIL and nephew, And besides those little bait stealers are the ones that take real expertise (and spidey-sense) to catch. And they are yummy!!!!

It's making me feel sad all this talk of fishing. Because I can't go at the moment. I usually get out at least once a week. I actually went fishing the day before my surgery because I knew it was going to be a while before I could pick a rod up again. I've also got a fishing kayak hanging up in the garage looking sorry for it's self, praying it won't end up on ebay.
 
Last edited:
@Alfie888 It won't end up in eBay.
I went off the coast of Georgia in the sound to fish the weekend before my surgery for same reason. Haven't been since as first months was worried about rough ride and jarring these two new hips. They need to last me hopefully for my ever amen.
I'm lucky I have a pond at BIL I can "play" at but want to go soon.
You will be back to it. Don't be sad, it's gonna get good.
I have been waiting for 6 months to get back out on boat, but it will be worth it. As much as I love it, the last pre-op trip, I was hurting so badly by the end I couldn't wait to get back to shore.
 
@Mojo333 You are right, a boat isn’t the best place for a poorly hip and I don’t imagine I’ll be getting back in a kayak for a long time. On the plus side we have a lot of rivers, lakes and canals a short drive away so I should be able to manage something a little more sedentary to start with.

Are you far away from the coast?
 
@Alfie888 you are but a month behind me. Last week, at 11 weeks, we were on vacation on a bay that can offer good kayaking. I would have gotten the sea kayak out, except I still have an open spot on each end of the incision, and I was warned at 2 weeks, "no immersion in hot tubs or ocean until you are 100% sure your incision is 100% healed". So....I sat there wistfully watching the (rare) dead calm water-- did not want to risk that always-possible kayak-dumping. I think if you are happy kayaking in chilly weather, you'll be out there fairly soon!
 
@Alfie888 ...About 50 miles but we go out into the Ossabaw sound between some beautiful coastal islands, St Catherines, Ossabaw, and the infamous Blackbeard Island. Lots of kayakers out that way.
We see lots of dolphins and bald eagles, and salt marshes, and catch whiting, flounder, and sea bass.
All of this is new to me as I am just hitchhiking with family members, but thankfully I have been blessed with beginner's luck, so they tolerate me.
Plus, I'm loads of fun:heehee:
 
Last edited:
@Mojo333 That looks like a great place, I just checked it out on google. I know a lot of people don't really get the fishing thing. For me it's not so much about catching fish as being outdoors and seeing places and things you wouldn't normally get to see, with the added bonus of a free tasty dinner. I suffered from quite bad depression for a few years and fishing really helped me get through, it's almost a kind of meditation, concentrating on one thing for long periods of time. Near where I live there is a programme for young people who have been in trouble or have behaviour problems. They have have found that teaching them how to fish, being calm and disciplined has had great results.
 
It is the best medicine for me. Just found out will be able to go off shore tomorrow. My brother in law is very patient with me, usually I am the one fishing and he is fixing the one I just tangled up.
I also don't care so much about how many fish I catch, though agree it is the best when you can eat yummy catch after being on the water all day.
It makes me laugh...my sister is not outdoor type and when we get to the coastal area at low tide, she says the smell is nauseating.
I love that salty decaying black stink mud smell.
I love that out there you can just be...it is very healing. You will get there soon.
Pray the seas won't be choppy tomorrow or hubby will call trip off with brother-in-law. They don't want me jarring anything loose, me either!
 
Last edited:
Thanks @Alfie.
Taking you with me in my heart Alfie. Your time is coming...I haven't been in A YEAR!!!
Hips were too bad, then surgery and recovery.
I'm three months ahead of you....you are gonna get there.
 
@Mojo333 You need to get a fly rod:bigfish:
Our semi-annual fundraiser at work begins the 27th. That will be a big test for the hip. It has been a while since I worked over 50-hours in a week.
 
I DO use a regular rod, by the by, when we are out saltwater fishing. The spidey pole is just for the breem in the pond for amusement and keeping population down for the large mouth bass.:realing:
Good to hear from you @dougie0216 Don't envy you the fundraising marathon week. Take it easy. Maybe I'll have a fish pic to show tomorrow if I can learn how to resize photos.
 
I need to get my reels out and play. I have a lake literally down the street. The thought of fly fishing hasn't sounded like fun for the past four-years.
Yeah, let's go hurt was more like it...

We are going deer hunting over Thanksgiving weekend at the ranch down in the Texas Hill Country. The creek has bass, sunfish and catfish. I am taking my fly rod!

I'm not getting a Texas deer tag, but a hunting license means I can hunt piggys and exotics. There's a ton of high fence ranches around us, and every time the creek floods or an oak falls on a fence, their exotics get out. We have whitetail, blackbuck antelope, sika deer, red deer, axis deer and an occasional elk running around. My second cousin missed an axis buck last year. Time for uncle Doug to show him how is its done.
Besides, it is fun to camo-up and go walk through the woods. I haven't hunted in 4-years because: pain.
 
Hurray for today.
All those firsts over these 6 months. First EKG.
First major surgery ever....scary!
First bone replacement.
First overnight hospital stay..except one night each after childbirth.
First catheter, first steps...horrifying.
First walker, first potty chair, here.
First major wound to heal, first time being in any type of recovery situation.

The last three months for the first time in over five years...for THESE FIRSTS.
First time to work with no pain, just some weariness.
First time to sleep all night withno pain.
First time getting up in morning READY to get on with day, no pain.
First all day yesterday on offshore fishing trip without pain.
Bye bye hip pain, as @Irish Joe comforted me before surgery.
I am so glad he was right.
Slowly but surely I healed, I conquered.
 
Way to go @Mojo333
Wonderful to hear....Inspiring!
So happy for you to have your life back....
A great week to you!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom