Bilateral THR Grateful Double Hippy

Hi @dougie0216

Looking good in SW England too. I am seven weeks out tomorrow and my rehab is pretty much mirroring my RTHR in March last year. Same surgeon, same approach, same implant, same sized scar! In terms of where I am, I don't use a stick any more at home and don't really need one outside, but I do take it with me as insurance

I have physio at the hospital every fortnight and it is low key, but v helpful, eg riding a bike with little resistance. Most of my exercise is walking, which I am very gradually ramping up. Like you, I have played competive sport since my early teens, but I am definitely favouring the "tortoise" approach to my hip recovery

This time I was offered hydrotherapy and I was concerned that I may go at it hammer and tong and damage myself almost inadvertently. So it was with some trepidation that I attended the first "taster" session today. I shouldn't have worried - it was brilliant. The physio was very gentle and a lot of the time I was floating. All I needed was a glass of wine and I could have been on holiday in the Med!

Best wishes
Peter



Definitely going back
 
@Mojo333 - Just checking in on you to be sure you're ok. I'm assuming you are just busy with work and life and haven't had time to write. I hope all is going well.
 
Hey all. Yes... Another good reason to delay transitioning back to work is that it is hard for me to do anything halfway. A few absences from others has required me to be there more and I have had three long days. All in all I have done well but just exhausted.
Yesterday I had PT at 9 am... Great therapist... Very easy but I was still pretty weak on some things. Especially former of leg, left one. I did the bike with no tension... For 5 minutes. Felt like 20.
Then to work at 10. Too small lunch break to Ice and elevate. Back to work until 4, them board meeting from 5-7. Home for supper, asleep by 8 pm. That was a gracious plenty I can tell you. Hope you are hanging in there GrannyC, MyAussieGirl and all my hippie friends. Thighs are still super sore... But numbness is subsiding some.
Won't get to use the anti gravity treadmill until Thursday...
 
Yes...yes...o thank you Hypnos, god of sleep. Last night I slept from 10-6 in my bed. Maybe I remember waking once or twice for few seconds to readjust for comfort.
Biggest deal ever!!!! Haven't slept in my bed for that long for five years!!! OA pain had my schedule up and down every hour or so, back and forth to couches, opposite sides of the bed, and every conceivable position.
This is one of the milestones I most hoped for and am grateful for. Noone can be a happy balanced human being with that much sleep deprivation. I feel so so happy. Now my problem it's I feel like I have 5 years of sleep too make up for.
Thank you Doc, thank you modern technology, thank you Bonesmart.
IrishJoe, you said this surgery would give me my life back and I you believe it now.
Now, come on hips. Catch up with me.
 
Great stuff @Mojo333! I had six hours last night, which is a significant improvement and just makes you more positive about things. Lovely weather over here at the moment too, which enhances the feel good factor, too

Keep up the good work
Peter
 
Wow Mojo your days are busy. Sounds like you're doing great. I check on you often. I am missing you but understand by your post how busy you are :hiking:. I like this picture lol....Hugs
 
:wow: That was an amazing night's sleep for you, Mojo! It sounds like you are doing fantastic.
 
Oh I do love the beach but so far this summer just ain't! It's been cold and rainy all week. I'm staying in and making dolls.
 
@gaulsuerou there is an interesting video on YouTube your boyfriend needs to watch. Tell him to search for hip replacement anterior approach surgery. Then, observe if he can watch it in one sitting:heehee: I couldn't. I waited until after surgery to watch it.
Hint: Don't watch any sad movies after surgery. I only had one done at a time. The first one was in the snowiest/icy winter in ten years. I could not even leave the house to walk. I was depressed. I watched a movie I should not have and just bawled. Fortunately, I was alone in the house, so no witnesses.
 
Did PT Thursday. They wanted to add 2 lb weights to the leg work and after only a few reps I decided that was creating too much strain. Didn't get to get on the anti g treadmill, won't use it til Tusday next week. Iced down good but was still sore that day and the next. Didn't realize because I'm walking so well... How weak my hip and thigh muscles are. I HAVE followed the Bonesmart philosophy and so no PT but walking for first 4-5 weeks but I think why it confuses some including myself is that it makes sense to want to strengthen those muscles that we can use now and those that will support the hip. And as I lost alot of muscle and core strength for to the debilitating OA, would like to work on retrieving that. Hard to know how much and when. Will listen to my hips, no... My legs and thighs at this point because my hips are doing so so well. My thighs are still numb and super sore and not sure how to describe feeling...antsy, annoyed, unsettled? Don't want to loosen up that railroad spike they hammered in there till all it's reattached... Don't want to irritate things that are trying to get well but want to support my new hips. Josephine? Jaycey? Any advice?
 
I have no advice, just encouragement. Go Team!
My other hip and ankles were very weak. I did not realize how much I had compensated for the Pain by avoiding doing things that hurt. I have realized that the physical therapist after the LTHR was just interested in me walking and being able to go up stairs.
On the other hand, my current therapist is all about balance and strength. She started with my wimpy ankles and has tortured her way up. She is using the bands instead of weights.
I need to thank her. I could put on shorts last night while standing and without having to find a wall or chair for support. I havent been able to do that in ten years!!
 
No advise here either but a hug. I was told the same thing by my PA 5 years bone on bone muscles are weaker.
 
Mojo I'm certainly no expert but I think you're going above it the right way. Slow and steady to build up strength. I was not recommended PT just given exercises which I'm am doing.
 
Hi @dougie0216 . The battle rages oh so slow. I feel so much better and then I pull a dougie and do a little too much and when if I can deal with the sore achy stuff....I'm just so worn out! Did get out at get some sun today... Caught 5 or 6 brim out of the pond. 95 degrees and humidity makes it 10O feel like temp . That dang energy drain.
I'm tired. And I'm tired of resting too. I've been keeping up with your thread so I know you are going through alot of the same thing.
Hey. My hips are not killing me!
By the end of April, I was miserable with pain. So I'm gonna count my blessings!
 
Mojo lots of the same here as far as accidentally overdoing.... I know some people got tired of my bored of doing nothing ..

Still that's how I felt

What is brim?
 
I'm glad you are not hurting. Pain sucks. I've been getting a little sun every day during my walks. I put sunscreen on my nose, ears, neck and cover the top of my head and off I go. My co-workers will have a hard time believing I suffered when I go back to work with a nice tan. Although a couple have come by to see me, so they know wasn't a walk in the park. We bought more flowers today, our favorite nursery had hanging baskets 50%off. We bought a couple of those and some flowers to fill in a couple of spots that needed color. My wife transplant the ones out front while I iced and elevated. I'll transplant the ones in the back after I walk in the am. I'll do that in place of PT. Getting out was fun.
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom