TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

OMG! That was an EIGHT hour sleep in my bed last night! On my back, with pillows under my leg and behind me. Must have been the perfect combination because I don't think I moved a muscle all night! And my incision is healing so beautifully. Except for at the top where it's still puckered its almost disappeared! I measured yesterday and in three places my knee is about one inch larger than the other.
 
Today I went back to my weight watchers meeting, the first since my surgery. Happy to find that between the operation and Christmas I only gained 3.5 lbs! Does anyone know if titanium is heavier than bone..? Lol Tomorrow is my weekly physio. I feel a lot stronger than I did and I may do a little more than walking this time. They have a thing where you wrap cloth around each leg. The cloth is attached to a rope and you use your not operated leg to move the new one. It seems quite gentle and I may try it. I hope I get released for the pool soon!
 
Today I went back to my weight watchers meeting, the first since my surgery. Happy to find that between the operation and Christmas I only gained 3.5 lbs! Does anyone know if titanium is heavier than bone..? Lol
I think that should be your story and you should stick to it! :heehee: When I was going to Weight Watchers we made up reasons why we had “fluctuations” (our leader told us not to say the word “gain” at her meeting! :roseshwr:) One humid day several of us decided it was the humidity!

You’ve done great with only a 3.5 fluctuation! :happydance:
 
Finally! A great physio session and a great physiotherapist! Her name is Lauren and she was lovely. She actually asked what I wanted to accomplish! She's the first one to do that. I explained that I want to be able to go up and down stairs normally, climb in and out of my bathtub, just ordinary stuff. She said some people want to be able to go on hikes in the mountains. Not this girl! She showed me the exercise with the cloths - I have no idea what it's called but it's a gentle stretch. I did it and found it very good. She measured my ROM and I was able to reach 80 - with coaching but no hands on help. I'm so happy with that! But most exciting of all, she cleared me for the pool! I have an appointment tomorrow morning at 10, and three days next week. The pool is at the hospital and I visited it today. There is a therapist on duty and there was only one man in the pool when I was there. It has no steps but a floor that moves up and down. It's a half hour session and they will teach me what to do. I'm so looking forward to it! I'm so excited - I just can't hide it!!! :happydance:Now to ice, elevate, and a little antiques roadshow...
 
Coming home from physio today I tested going up the stairs one step at a time. Standing on my non-operated leg I was able to lift my operated leg and place it on the next stair. I felt no pain in my knee at all doing that maneuver but I stopped myself as I was frightened that it would hurt when I put weight on it. Such a chicken! I guess it will be a biggie for me when I finally take the plunge!
 
Be careful when you get into the water. It is so hard to overdo. Water adds resistance and that's like using weights on your knee. Take it really easy!
 
Thanks @sistersinhim, I have read how easy it is to overdo in the water I will be careful! I am slated to be in the water for 30 minutes and I really can't wait! Although I googled water exercises for knee replacements and I saw some really scary stuff! I will really be careful!
 
Last edited:
So pleased you’ve got your clearance. At 13 weeks I’m in the pool twice a week. I do only 20 mins - a mix of walking and then swimming breast stroke without kicking my leg. I don’t do any exercises yet apart from walking cus I know from last year how easy it is to overdo it in the pool. It is so lovely to be in the water though.
 
@Newboots Does your knee feel bigger and weird in the pool? Mine always does, even in the shower. :blackcloud:And I’m almost 2 years post op!
 
Yes it does Jockette. Feels quite sensitive to the water flowing over it. As long as it doesn’t actually hurt I just grin and bear it!
 
Well disappointingly, no pool for me today! I woke up with a stinking cold - complete with hacking cough. Can't take that to the hospital or anywhere really. Boo hoo. Roll on Monday
 
Oh no. Those awful colds are hitting so many people, even all around the world! I pray yours leaves quickly so you can get in that pool!
 
It's a terrible cold and the congestion is worse today than it was yesterday! I'm taking so many meds I can hardly stand it! Not even for the knee now - for the darn cold! Oh I hope it's much better Monday - I really want in that pool!
 
Oh, a nasty cold can make you feel so rotten. I pray you kick it really quickly. I know you want in that pool!
 
@sistersinhim I like the new avatar! I am now off to the pool. I cannot wait, I'm a bath person not a shower girl. I can't wait to be immersed. I will be careful but I must tell you that our local hospital pool has an excellent reputation for knees.
 
I am back from the pool and ice and elevation along with a nice cup of decaf. The pool was wonderful! Of course I would feel that way but really it was two lengths walk forward, two walk backward, two sideways. Then a circuit which included the dreaded squats, steps, quad stretches, and others I've forgotten and cycles in the corners. Nothing excessive as we were in the pool for 30 minutes total. I left feeling high and with improved ROM. We'll see what happens this afternoon and tomorrow. Truly I don't think it was excessive at all at eight weeks out. Life is very good
 
It's not good for your knee to do squats, even in the water. Please be very careful or your knee will get angry! That's no fun!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom