Guest viewing is limited

TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

I had a busy day today, probably did a little too much but the bathrooms and kitchen needed attention! I am now having a glass of wine - my first since our cruise just before surgery. It tastes really, really good! Not to worry, I only had a couple of Tylenol's today. I feel normal...

ETA I am icing and elevating at the same time!
 
Last edited:
Busy day today, rest day tomorrow! That’s what I tried to do.

I’m glad you’re feeling normal! :happydance:
 
I will be 9 weeks PO tomorrow. I woke up this morning with my knee feeling much less stiff and swollen, it was remarkable. I have been battling the cold from hell for the last 11 days but that feels a little better today too. I am icing and elevating right now but later today I intend on seeing how much of a bend I can get. Without hurting myself of course! I love in hope as I don't think I've yet achieved an honest 90 degrees!
 
Pls don’t let the numbers rule you. I haven’t even got an 80 yet and am moving about and functioning better than I have since surgery. Even climbing stairs now foot over foot for first time in 20yrs!!!

Glad to hear the cold is in the rear view. Can only go up from here!!!
 
Yay for feeling better! Traceys is right, the numbers don't matter. It's what you can do that matters!
 
Yay yay yay! I'm so excited! I actually went up the stairs foot over foot! First time I've been able to do that. I tried same cooking down the stairs but I still have to swing my leg out to the side, so a little more time for that. @traceys and @sistersinhim you are right, it's functionality not numbers. Now for rice
 
Oh oh oh ! It's 5:00am and I've been awake since 2:00! I've been sleeping well in bed for the last couple of weeks and thought this sleepless stuff was done with. I guess not. I'm not in any pain but I am extremely congested with this dumb cold that will be three weeks old on Thursday. I've used up all the Tylenol I'm allowed on cold medication and my poor sinuses are drowning in Dristan. I'm starting to think I should see a doctor about this. I've had no fever, the congestion is mostly in my sinuses but occasionally a very funky cough. I'm really sick of this, I should be concentrating on my knee! Okay, I'll stop whining now and try to get some sleep.
 
I have a chest cold for a bit now. Family doc said it will probably drag out being I’m not up and doing enough to move it around cardio wise. Our poor bodies just can’t catch a break!
 
This is maybe a silly question. How far into your journey do you ice? I have rented an ice machine and I now ice three or four times a day for about an hour. Not sure if I even need to do it anymore. I'm wondering if it's time to return the rental machine and start using my ice pack. What did you do?
 
How long you ice is really up to you. If you feel you can do it less, give it a try. Try your ice pack while you still have the machine, in case you need it.

I iced for about 6 months because I still had that tight inner swelling. I stopped because at 6 months it started to actually hurt almost right away. I guess I no longer had that cushion of swelling.
 
If you plenty of ice packs, you should be fine to turn the ice machine back in. You'll need to ice for at least a few more months as your activity increases.
 
Oh Oh Oh! I cannot believe what I saw today. I went to the pool for some physio. There was a woman who had her tkr done one week after mine. I sat with her waiting for our turn in the pool and this is the sad tale she told me. Two or three weeks out, her surgeon did an MUA on her :gaah:. She said it hurts more now than it did then. She lives alone and has to ask neighbours to take her to physio. She comes every day except weekends. She does a half hour in the pool and then an hour in rehab. Rehab here includes the bike, and a whole bunch of other stations to stretch and 'help'. She said that yesterday when she was being stretched she screamed and cried. She was not a large woman but her knee was like a small basketball. I asked her if she iced and she said yes, for 15 minutes at a time and she goes to sleep with the ice on. Sadly, I did not feel comfortable talking to her about Bonesmart in that location. The physiotherapist would not talk to me today - just hello. I guess I am a non-compliant person and not really welcome there. I so don't care! My last appointment is Friday and I will go to get measured after that. Then I won't be going to physio there anymore. I will just go to my local Y pool and do my own thing. I cannot tell you how grateful I continue to be that I found Bonesmart and this lovely community.
 
Back
Top Bottom