BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[TKR] Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by grandma chris, Nov 19, 2018.

1. grandma chris

grandma chris senior

Canada Canada
    Hi all, Tomorrow is the big day! I have to be at the hospital at 7am so it's an early start for me. Fortunately the hospital is only five minutes away. Starting my recovery thread now. It was so helpful to have one for my hip. See you all on the other side!

• Like Like x 5
  2. jean6183

jean6183 junior member

United States United States
    Good Luck and can't wait to hear how it went....

3. Roy Gardiner

Roy Gardiner FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs

Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling

Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery

Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

4. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Best wishes!!

5. flsungirl

flsungirl member

:welome: Look forward to reading about your recovery

6. skigirl

skigirl SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

Welcome to Bonesmart, we hope to hear that the surgery went well and you are ready to rest and rehab that new knee.

7. Mom2Lucy

Mom2Lucy senior

Canada Canada
    Just noticed the time as I read your post, and I guess you’re now at the hospital. Sending you best wishes, and looking forward to hearing from you:flwrysmile:
    Always good to see a fellow Canadian here!

8. grandma chris

grandma chris senior

Canada Canada
    I'm out and in my room. The surgery went very well and I'm resting comfortably. Getting 2mg of hydromorphone every 2 hours - so far. Physio has been in and thanks to Bonesmart I was able to tell her 'don't help' when it came to moving my knee. For some reason I was marked no weight bearing and the nurses think that was in error but of course need to check with my surgeon. My wonderful husband has been by with coffee but forgot the ice machine. He will bring it at supper. So far so great, I'm feeling no pain.

• Like Like x 2
  9. grandma chris

grandma chris senior

Canada Canada
    Well, another big vote for the ice machine! My doctor came by this morning and is pleased that my pain is controlled and that I'm moving well in bed. I feel unbearably dirty! Have only been able to use the commode and hand sanitizer! I now have the all clear to weight bear and looking forward to seeing up! Any hints on how to manage that first walk? Meds first? I put a little weight on my left in the night and that was no fun! I had my cpap overnight and was able to get quite a lot of sleep. Life is good until I stand up!

10. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You will have a PT on each side of you for that first walk, more than likely. I did. I couldn't wait to try the new knee out. It held me! Yay! I was afraid it wouldn't, but it did. I'd say just take your pain meds as they are do. Don't walk too much or your knee will scream at you later! It's not worth it. My first walk was only about 25' out and back. I was dizzy and afraid I'd pass out. The next day I was much better and went home the next morning.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

The best thing I was told in my pre op class was that the knee joint itself would be strong right away and not to be afraid to put weight on it that first time. I took them at their word and didn’t worry. While I was a bit shakey, I knew the knee was fine.

I will say I had an excellent hospital experience. The nurses were wonderful, the PTs were caring and only wanted me to walk a few times, and the food was really good, too!

• Like Like x 1
  12. grandma chris

grandma chris senior

Canada Canada
    So far so good. Pain control in the night was stellar. I had been getting the hydromorphone every two hours or so and in the night the nurse put liquid in my IV so I just sailed through. They refilled my ice machine at bedtime and it lasted most of the night. This morning my surgeon came and confirmed that I could weight bear. With help of two physiotherapists I walk to the stretcher in the hall and went for x-rays. When I came back I was able to use the loo, wash my face, brush my teeth and wash my hands with soap and water! Now I am resting.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Mom2Lucy

Mom2Lucy senior

Canada Canada
    @grandma chris , it’s so good to hear of proper pain management. I think it’s crucial to have, and so many do not receive that! Sounds like a great group of health care folks at that hospital.

14. kmak81230

kmak81230 post-grad

Welcome to the other side. Sounds like you are doing really well. :roseshwr:Rest as much as you can.

15. sistersinhim

What a good post about your hospital stay!

16. grandma chris

grandma chris senior

Canada Canada
    And it may have been too good to be true! Tonight is a different crew on and although nice and friendly I think the liberal meds are done! Later in the day the meds have been every three hours and they're emphasizing that the order is for every four. So far I've had one after three hours and one at three and a half. Thank goodness for the cryocuff! Had a few weeks today and visited the loo a number of times. No poop fairy though!

17. sistersinhim

Will they give you a stool softener? That should help with the most wanted visitor!

18. buzzybee

buzzybee junior member

Australia Australia
    Glad to hear you’re doing so well! I too am trying to keep ahead of the pain, it really makes a difference. There are no cryo-cuffs here but I have a knee wrap thing with ice bag which does the trick, although I find it heavy over the wound.
    Visiting the loo is my biggest bugbear - having to disconnect everything then make a “dash” for it .
    Keep on healing well .

19. grandma chris

grandma chris senior

Canada Canada
    Yes @sistersinhim I have been given stool softeners all along. I have not been eating much so that probably doesn't help! My surgeon was just here and said depending on how I do on the stairs I could probably go home today. Looking forward to that a as there won't be a physio urging me on! I have a second floor walk up and must negotiate 22 stairs! I did practice before the surgery. I asked the surgeon what meds he would send me home with. He said Dilaudid to start and then tapering off to T3s.

20. grandma chris

grandma chris senior

Canada Canada
    So physio was here, a different much more sympathetic guy! I measured 50 and 10. I got a little experience going up stairs and that's good because of the 22 stairs to my place! I think I can go home now. Yesterday I told the nurse that I thought it was better to take pain meds after physio. Today she brought me everything else first and then came back with the Dilaudid saying let's give it a try. I'm impressed!!