TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

If you were one of those who recuperated by sleeping in your recliner, how long did that go on? It will be six weeks for me tomorrow and I'm getting mighty tired of sleeping in my recliner! Last night I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep for several hours. I tried moving to the couch - which is wide and long and should have been great. No dice, I was quite uncomfortable after about 10 minutes. My plan for this afternoon is to try to nap in my beautiful big king size memory foam bed - oh how I long for that! I'm thinking maybe the recliner is comfy because it doesn't go all the way flat so I will try propping in bed with lots of pillows, both behind me and maybe for my legs. Oh, I'll move my wedge in case that's what my leg needs. How did you get yourself back in bed and when??
 
i would sleep for a while in my bed, then get up and switch to the recliner. Then wake up and go back to bed, then again, after a while wake up and go back to the recliner. This went on for at least a month. I slept better when I got off of the Oxy, still not great, though. Even to this day, I don't sleep well. That has very little to do with my knee. I'm just a light sleeper.
 
I had an afternoon nap in my bed today and I managed to doze for half an hour on my back with pillow under my leg and another half hour with a pillow between my legs and lying on my side. I'm quite encouraged. I will set up my recliner tonight in case I have to move but I will start in bed. I have a CPAP machine, so generally I sleep very well. I have high hopes for tonight!
 
I did sleep in my bed last night and that was terrific ! I woke up at 5:30 for a pee and tried to go back to bed but that was not to be. No matter I am icing and elevating as I have morning coffee. I got a total of over six hours in bed I'm a very happy camper! Happy New Year everyone
 
Happy New Year, @grandma chris! I love your avatar! You are quite pretty!

You finally did it, you slept in your bed all night! Yippee! That is a big step!
 
I have always slept in my bed, I was never able to sleep anywhere else. My leg was always up on the elevating wedge when I was in bed. I do have an adjustable bed, so I would elevate the head of the bed, just a little bit, to take the pressure off my lower back

Before surgery I was a side sleeper. I’m surprised at how easily I adjusted to sleeping on my back!
 
Here's to a six hour stretch of sleeping!!! :beer:. Ain't it grand. I always slept in the the bed - well, actually I was in the bed but not doing much sleeping. I used lots of pillows to try to find a comfortable position. Now I am down to one pillow and getting 5-6 hours at a time most nights.
 
@sistersinhim thanks for the nice compliment! That picture was taken this summer on a pool day. We have beautiful summers here and our condo has an outdoor heated salt water pool just steps away from our unit. I love summers here and so happy that I'll be able to partake next summer
 
I’m in a 55+ Community and we have a heated, salt water pool also.
 
Before last night I had only slept in our bed on the night I came home from the hospital. The bed is quite high and I needed my husband's help to get my leg up. He slept in the spare room. About an hour after we retired for the night I needed to go for a pee. I didn't want to wake him so I struggled to get out of the bed and use my walker. Although the side I was sleeping on is only about four feet away from the bathroom door, I made it to the washroom but not the toilet! My poor sweet husband was not spared a thing, between the crashing of the walker as it rebounded off the wall and my loud wail of dismay he came rushing in. Next day I moved to the recliner until now. Much easier and more comfortable. I don't hurt so much anymore and can easily get up and down the bed .
 
I’m in a 55+ Community and we have a heated, salt water pool also.
Isn't it wonderful? Ours is not a 55+ community though. It's all ages but with few children living here. Most of the kids are visiting grandchildren. I just love the long lazy days spent treading water and chatting. Oh, I can hardly wait!
 
Sounds like a great thing to look forward to and get yourself healed for. Took my granddaughter swimming at my pool in the gym yesterday and it was so lovely to be in the water again with her.She has Downs Syndrome but now at the age of 9 she’s starting to swim well. We’ve both missed our swimming visits!
Hope it’s not too long before you can get in a pool.:swim:
 
To be honest, I’m not a big fan of the pool. We go occasionally and it is nice to float on a noodle and chat.

My knee is very sensitive and it always feels weird in the pool, as well as in the shower. It feels like something swells up when I’m in the water.

My knee is such a drama queen.
 
our condo has an outdoor heated salt water pool
Do you find this salted water dries out your skin? I know it'd be good for minor booboos. When I was a child and went swimming in the ocean, my wounds would heal right up! But, I don't remember if it dried out my skin or not. Who's cares about that when you're a child!
 
Do you find this salted water dries out your skin?
It does not. The first summer I lived here we were in the pool a lot. My skin was wonderfully softer than usual!

This past summer I think they did a different combination of chemicals and I smelled chlorine and my skin did get dry. My friends insist there is no chlorine but I smelled it, even several hours after I got home. I googled it and salt water pools do have some chlorine in it.
 
I don't find the salt bad, it actually makes my skin softer. My husband can't stand chlorine so it's wonderful that he can come in this pool. Roll on summer!
 
I'm going to look for on of those pools!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom