TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

Okay so it's the next morning and I feel fine! No problems from my pool exercises and a little better ROM. I see my surgeon today and I'm hoping to get released to drive and that he is as satisfied as I am with my progress.. I'm hoping if I smile big that will help! I will let you know how I make out.
 
Well, smiling big must have helped!! That and sitting on a nice high gurney! I'm sure he saw close to 90 degrees. The surgeon was lovely and has released me to drive. I only have to see him if there is a problem in the future. Not a word about physio, MUA, or anything negative at all.

He took a look at my incision and said in a few months I'll hardly be able to see it. He said my ROM will continue to improve but most of us are very happy long before a year is up.

He asked about my pain and I told him I have none that can't be easily controlled with Tylenol - he was surprised and said a lot still have pain at this point. I mentioned that I was still quite swollen and he said that will go in time and that eventually my knees would be the same size. I am extremely happy with this visit and will be bringing chocolates and a card to both the nursing unit at the hospital and his office.

I am now looking forward to increasing my success by spending more time in the pool. I am deeply grateful to Bonesmart, the advisors, and my fellow bonesmarties for the great advice and helpful comments. I am posting pics of my xrays, just because I can!!

[Bonesmart.org] Grandma Chris gets a new knee!
 
Thank you @sistersinhim and @Mom2Lucy ! Yes, I am very pleased but it's not over yet. My ROM - although the doc did not seem at all concerned - is still barely at 90 degrees. Extension is not a problem, probably a 0 or a 1. I still have some time to go before I have good flexion but I will try to work on that in the pool at a reasonable pace. I'm doing great with no pain but probably if I exerted myself more with PT I would have. I've seen quite an improvement since my water exercises yesterday so I hold out a lot of hope for them. I will be back in the pool tomorrow. Onward!
 
Hope you got some sleep today, did you go to the pool?
 
Yes @Mom2Lucy I did sleep and I did go to the pool. I had no unpleasant repercussions from the pool on Monday so I went again today and worked a little harder, except for the squats! Still good tonight. Today we went to a movie and then out to dinner. The cinema had reclining seats so I could stay quite elevated and we got a booth at the restaurant so I could have my leg up. It feels great that every waking moment I am not consumed by my knee!
 
@traceys thanks for the kind words! I may have spoken too soon. After dinner we settled in to watch a little tv along with ice and elevation. I noticed that my knee felt a little tight on the top and it turns out that it's considerably more swollen than it was. After pool physio today the therapist said next time we'll put ankle weights on. No, I don't think we will. I don't believe the aim is to cause more swelling. I may even dial it back next time.
 
So I went back to the pool today and told Jane - the therapist - that I would be dialing it back today and why. She did not insist but I can tell that she's very worried about me. I told her that I did not want to do any strengthening stuff at all, just stretches. So I walked across the pool using reasonably high step on my operated leg. I also did gentle cycling in the pool corners. I also did some step ups on the half step is in the pool and she came to help me with that, encouraging me to step down and do a 'curtsy' move when stepping down. I did a few of those but kept it low key. I am now icing and elevating - I will be going out to lunch with a friend in a little while. Last night, I tried something new. I lay on my bed with my butt closer to the wall and put my legs up on the wall - uber elevation! Then I very gently massaged my knee with a downward motion, encouraging whatever fluid is in there to move to my body. I did that for about 10 minutes and it felt quite good. I measured around my knee this morning and one part is down about 1/4 inch. It might have been down anyway. I started measuring Wednesday after the pool. Not sure what that will do for me but it's something to do! Also maybe I will see a trend over time. I am intellectually sure that the Bonesmart way is the way for me to go, but I must admit to a little anxiety over it. I shouldn't, things are getting better. I imagine that the worse that will happen from not doing the prescribed physio is that my progress will be a little slower - but so much less painful! That's the hope, anyway.
 
Hi @grandma chris

I am living proof that the BS way worked for me. Went against every single thing I knew for 37yrs AND my education and yet living is believing.

So glad to hear the pool was more positive for you. Hope you think the same in the next day or two!!

:swim:
 
If most of our doctors recommended the Bonesmart Approach to this recovery, we wouldn’t worry that it might slow us down. We would trust it because it was the norm.

Just because it isn’t the norm doesn’t mean it doesn’t work.
 
It sounds like you doing thing very sensibly! I hope you continue with good improvement.
 
Back
Top Bottom