TKR Grandma Chris gets a new knee!

Hi grandma Chris. Sounds good so far, I’m happy to hear that. Your first attempts at exercise may be a little bit frustrating, but will improve rapidly. One of mine was to, from a laying down position, raise my leg 12 inches. I coiuldn’t even get my heel off of the sheet. After 10 attempts, I managed a very impressive 1 1/2 inches! The next 2 days showed a bit of improvement, Then, on the 4th morning, just as my wife leaned over to adjust something, I attempted my first lift of the day. I almost kicked her in the face! My foot came right up 14 inches, with almost no pain. I’m not sure who was more surprised; her or me. So . . . Warning to your caregiver; you could be potentially dangerous! Hope and pray all continues smoothly.
 
@Denny39 thank you for your encouraging words! I've been able to raise my leg high since the second week. I'm just having a hard time getting range of motion. It's coming along now and because of the holiday I haven't been to pt this week yet, but I have an appointment tomorrow. Sadly the lovely Mitch won't be there, I am being transferred to someone else. Mitch is on holidays. I'm afraid I will have to retrain the new physio. Mitch understood me and let me do my own thing, namely a few minutes on the bicycle with no resistance and walking around the perimeter. There's lots of snow here now and I don't feel confident walking in it. Don't think I'll get released to the pool tomorrow as there are still minute scabs on my incision where the staples were. That's what I'm waiting for, the water. I will take heed of Jockette's experience though and not do too much to begin with. I'm in a really good place right now. Two eight hour nights under my belt and swelling coming down. I am very encouraged.
 
Can someone please tell me where to get the hug and other sympathy emojis ? I can find all kinds of sad, angry, happy , etc but not the nice huggy ones. Sometimes all you can do is a virtual hug Having been on the receiving end I know they have value. Tia
 
Oh the eight hour sleeps bliss! That sounds so good.
The water is worth the wait @ grandma chris . On my third week in the pool ...it just feels so good to be doing some exercise. I don’t kick with my new knee but it’s happy to trail along after! Bought some poolside shoes which have a brilliant grip so made me feel more confident in walking around. Hope you can get there soon.
 
Sadly the lovely Mitch won't be there, I am being transferred to someone else.
No matter who your therapist is, you are still the boss! What you say goes. If they try to take you out of it, stand firm. It's your knee and you have the put up with the pain and swelling if you overdo, not that therapist!

Don't think I'll get released to the pool tomorrow as there are still minute scabs on my incision where the staples were.
It's a good idea to not go in that pool until everything is completely healed. You don't want to take any chances!

Two eight hour nights under my belt and swelling coming down. I am very encouraged.
Wow! I can't even get 8 hours a night now. How blessed you are!
 
Can someone please tell me where to get the hug and other sympathy emojis ?
The hug is in the "happy" set of pictures and the sympathy hug is in the "good" category (on the far right).
Spend some time looking at all the categories and you'll soon get an idea of what is where.
 
So today was PT without the lovely Mitch. Mitch was a dream in comparison to John! No how do you feel, no niceties at all. Simply 'do you do the knee circuit here?' I replied that I do the bicycle and I walk the perimeter. He observed me on the bike for a nanosecond and then asked how far along was I. I told him five weeks and he said well, we expect you to be at 90 degrees at five weeks. I said well, I'm not at 90 degrees but I'm doing so much better today than I was, I seem to have turned some kind of corner. He asked when I was seeing the surgeon and I told him the 8th of January. He said well if he doesn't like your number, he's going to want to schedule you for an MUA. I said 'and I'll have to say I don't want one just yet, let's wait a while'. I believe I completely lost dear John right then. Then I told him that I was waiting to do most of my PT in the water and he warned me that I could hurt myself there too. I said yes, but that I am quite cautious and would take it easy. Then he measured me by lying me down on a flat surface. I asked what the magic number was and he said 120. I said no, what is my number? I fully expected to hear good news as I am bending MUCH better than I was last week - at 73 degrees. He says 63. What?!?!? But that's less than last week! No, I am at 63. Bushwah!!! :gaah:Sadly I still have little scabs from the staples and can't go into the water yet. He opined that next week they could schedule me. I can't wait for that as I'm sure I'll do well then. And there is no way I am at 63 degrees! From the sketches that Josephine has posted, I think I'm somewhere around 80. Oh well, my gait is really good with a cane and I'll be in the water soon. I'm resting and icing now.
 
You go, girl, and stand your ground.

Sounds like John needs a dose of “how to be nice to patients”!

And he is not in charge of MUAs, your surgeon is the one to recommend it and it is your decision. If/when it comes up.

Just a reminder, the pool can be overdone, so take it very carefully.
 
I think I have to learn to be a little less defensive and a little more understanding with these kids. They are young, just out of school where they're taught.. whatever they're taught. I imagine most patients do as they tell them and it must be a little shocking to get a suspicious non-compliant older woman! I'm sure no one taught them what to do with that LOL. I think I need to cut them a break, maybe next time.
 
@grandma chris, I would love three and a half hours straight. The last time my eyes were shut for that long was when I got my new equipment installed. I don't sleep much anyway. Hope you find somewhere comfortable.
 
Last edited:
No, they don’t need a break. They need to realize they are dealing with people shocked about a recovery they were not prepared for, are in pain, and are feeling very vulnerable and are desperately just trying to get through the day. They should have compassion, not an authoritative attitude.
 
And there is no way I am at 63 degrees!
Why did he measure you while laying down? You don't walk while laying down. It makes no sense. We always measure less when we're laying down! Besides, he probably wanted to upset you and lowered your actual numbers. Did you actually watch him measuring you? Did you see the numbers? I have a giometer and can make it say all kinds of different numbers just by placing it at different places.

You did right by sticking up for yourself. There is no profit at all for doing too much to a baby knee. It is really bad for it, keeps it inflamed, swollen and in pain. No go easy on him. Those kids just out of school should have learned the latest way to rehab a knee replacement. Gentle movements is the latest and best way to rehab a baby knee!
 
@sistersinhim , I expect he measured me that way because he was angry with me and was trying to prove a point. Childish and so unprofessional! I don't care, I know I'm doing better and it's getting better daily right now. The surgeon will give me a real number.
 
I expect he measured me that way because he was angry with me and was trying to prove a point. Childish and so unprofessional! I don't care, I know I'm doing better and it's getting better daily right now.
I completely agree with you. He better change his attitude or he's not going to make it in his chosen field. You know your knee better than anyone else and you know it's getting better. That's what counts, not what some sassy kid says!
 
Who cares about your number if you are feeling better and walking better and healing more. I expect you are closer to 80 than 63 if you feel functionally better. We know our bodies better than our surgeons or PTs. Keep up the good work.
 
I can actually feel the implant moving smoothly and effortlessly. The biggest thing holding me back right now is swelling and I can feel it particularly at the back of the knee. The incision is healing so beautifully (except where the staples were and that will go away). I can't wait to get in the water!
 
I think your knee is doing just fine, no matter what bossy John says!
Quite honestly, if you find that you get him next time you go to PT, I think you should walk out.
He's not your boss and he's not in charge of your knee - you are.

Function is more important than the numbers and you know that your knee is improving.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom