TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

@Yorkimom My knee is still tender and still so stiff. I'm over the stiff thing to be honest. I'm making progress with flexion but it doesn't really feel like it because of the stiffness. I'm starting to dread doing the other one now. I ice it, I elevate it, I rest it and it will feel pretty good. I get up to do things and within 15-30 minutes I feel it getting tighter and tighter and I lose flexion I can tell because of the way it feels when I walk. Tomorrow will be 6 weeks. It's just starting to feel really discouraging at this point. I did this to get my life back and now I'm wondering if that will ever happen. Especially if I go ahead with the other one in November.
 
@gr82cu2 Maybe it is time to seek a different doctors opinion. At 6 weeks it shouldn't be that bad! What is your pain level while walking around. Maybe you should tag in Josephine!
 
@tiredwife I don't think it's any different from many (most?) other recoveries I read here. It just gets depressing after awhile, ya know? The tenderness I'm feeling is along either side of the knee cap. Ligaments I think probably? Also, sometimes but not all that often I have tenderness in the tendons behind my knee. The tightness is not a mind over matter thing. It just will not move past a certain point, or it seems that way. But again, in my 10 PT sessions I've progressed from 84 flexion to 115 (which I think is a result of time more than anything). When I try to bend it you can see everything is tight, so tight. My daughter in law who is a PA was here yesterday and I showed her. She even commented on how it turns white when I try to force the bend. The swelling is still there, nothing like it was but it's still there despite my almost constant ice and elevation and staying off of it. I don't think there is anything wrong with the implant or placement. It's just being stubborn I guess. I see my OS a week from today. Trust me, we will have a conversation about what I should be expecting at this stage vs what's is happening. My PT says I'm ahead of most of her patients at this stage. It just seems hard to believe. My left knee in particular was so painful leading up to this surgery that I was off it for the most part for 6-8 weeks. Now I'm off it another 6 weeks with recovery and no end in sight. My legs will be jello before the right one is rehabbed, LOL. I guess I just need to put my big girl panties on and suck it up!
 
@gr82cu2 - have you replaced the celebrex with another anti-inflammatory? I saw where you were having a reaction but not if you specifically replaced it with Tylenol or advil...tylenol works much better for me for inflammation, if you can take it.
 
Hi @TexasTee I can take Aleve. It's been my favorite anti-inflammatory for many years now. In addition to OA I have psoriatic arthritis. Aleve has always worked best for me, even better than many Rx ones I've tried over the years. I did like the Celebrex though. It didn't seem to give me heartburn like a lot of others. Oh well, life goes on.
 
@Yorkimom My knee is still tender and still so stiff. I'm over the stiff thing to be honest. I'm making progress with flexion but it doesn't really feel like it because of the stiffness. I'm starting to dread doing the other one now. I ice it, I elevate it, I rest it and it will feel pretty good. I get up to do things and within 15-30 minutes I feel it getting tighter and tighter and I lose flexion I can tell because of the way it feels when I walk. Tomorrow will be 6 weeks. It's just starting to feel really discouraging at this point. I did this to get my life back and now I'm wondering if that will ever happen. Especially if I go ahead with the other one in November.

I feel the EXACT same way and was just explaining the same thing to a friend earlier. I am SO stiff that it makes me ache. If I am sitting, I feel stiff like I need to stand. If I am standing, I get achy so I need to sit. If I work on bending it feels good for a minute (stretching the stiffness) but then it bothers me so I feel like I need to straighten my legs, but if I am straightening them I feel like they need to bend. It gets so discouraging at times. My friend (who also had knee replacements) keeps telling me to be patient, that I (we) are early into our recoveries. I know 5 or 6 weeks doesn't seem "early" but I guess it is. I don't have any great advice for you, as I'm walking the same walk (pun?), but I just wanted to let you know I know just how you feel. Hang in there!
 
@gr82cu2 I don't know, most people are stiff first thing standing, but when they move around it starts to loosen up, however if you are on it too long then it starts tightening up again. Hubby's pain usually goes from a 3 to a high three or 4 during PT. Pain should jump too high when doing activity. Glad you are going to talk to your doctor about it.
 
@ljrfrm Yes!!!! It's exactly like that. It's like our brains are telling us to do one thing and our knees are saying, hey, wait a minute, not so fast! And it's a restless feeling a lot of the time. Like you keep changing positions to try and be more comfortable and for a few minutes you are, then it's rinse and repeat. I put my legs up. I put my legs down. I bend my knee and then straighten my knee. It's just so frustrating isn't it? I know we are still very early in a long, long recovery but it sure would be nice if things would speed up a little. We just got back from going out to lunch, Sam's Club and then Trader Joe's. It wasn't too bad. I could tell my knee was swelling though. So, here I am back on the couch, leg up with ice wrapped around it.

@tiredwife Usually it's not too stiff when I get up after being down awhile except 1st thing in the morning. It just seems like it stiffens back up too quickly. Comparing the size of my left leg to the size of my right leg it is still considerably swollen but nothing like in the beginning. I hate pain scales, LOL! Every time a doctor, nurse or therapist asks me what my pain level is I tell them I hate those number scales. It means nothing to me. Either I hurt or I don't. I can say it's mild pain, or moderate pain or excruciating or whatever obviously, but a 5 for me might be a 10 for someone else or vise versa.

I guess I'm just struggling with this mentally right now. Should I force myself to do more and take whatever comes from that? Do I continue to spend the bulk of my time resting it? I know I'm past the point where I could cause loosening of the implant. Or I think I am. So, that's not really a concern that I have. I think maybe in the back of my mind I'm scared to death of pushing myself back to the 2nd day post op which was pure hell, LOL!! I think the thing that's keeping me out of the nut house at this point is knowing how many people are so happy they have done this and would do it all over again. My sister's husband had both his knees replaced about 7 years ago and is very happy. He walks 6 miles a day! I can't imagine being able to do that pain free but that or something like that is what I'm hoping for eventually.
 
Yes, 6 weeks is actually pretty early. I really didn't start feeling more "normal" until after 6 weeks. And I can tell you I was pretty sick of "recovery" by then. I still am. :heehee: I keep telling people at work "I'm not 100% but I'm getting there."
 
[QUOTE="gr82cu2]

I guess I'm just struggling with this mentally right now. Should I force myself to do more and take whatever comes from that? Do I continue to spend the bulk of my time resting it? I know I'm past the point where I could cause loosening of the implant. Or I think I am. So, that's not really a concern that I have. I think maybe in the back of my mind I'm scared to death of pushing myself back to the 2nd day post op which was pure hell, LOL!! I think the thing that's keeping me out of the nut house at this point is knowing how many people are so happy they have done this and would do it all over again. My sister's husband had both his knees replaced about 7 years ago and is very happy. He walks 6 miles a day! I can't imagine being able to do that pain free but that or something like that is what I'm hoping for eventually. [/QUOTE]

It's really ok to still be resting and icing the knee quite a lot still . It really is a case of listening to the knee. Do what you can and figure out how happy or unhappy the knee is to judge if you can do more. The soft tissues around the knee take their own good time. But once you get there--you are THERE! :yes!:
 
Thanks @kneeper Are you past the point of being so stiff and tender? I sure hope you are! The thing is, at this point, I really don't have a lot of pain or not like it was anyway. It's just achey a lot of the time and the soreness around the knee cap and behind my knee. I can live with all of that. I just want it to B-E-N-D without hurting!!! Haha! Ok, I'll be a patient patient, or try to be anyway.
 
Yes, 6 weeks is actually pretty early. I really didn't start feeling more "normal" until after 6 weeks. And I can tell you I was pretty sick of "recovery" by then. I still am. :heehee: I keep telling people at work "I'm not 100% but I'm getting there."
@kneeper So, when did you start feeling "normal"? I feel exactly like @gr82cu2 , it's like you were describing me to a T. I know we will feel "normal" and pain-free someday, and we need to be patient.....but it gets so tiring feeling like this each day.
 
@gr82cu2 I think if you still have swelling then the stiffness and tightness is still going to be there, concentrate on getting rid of the swelling, ask pt about massages to loosen the fluid. There is a pain scale out there that describes it better, like if you are a certain pain level you can't concentrate on anything. I tried to copy and paste on here but it was too small to read. You can look it up on line. Hubby likes that one because he has something to gauge with. At 10 weeks with knee #1 hubby was feeling pretty good, the tight band feeling had left, a lot of the stiffness was gone, it was getting pretty strong, only got a little pain when overdoing it. Every one gets to that point at a different time, some earlier some later, but they get there. He still had some issues with sleep though, this knee his sleep is already getting better.
 
@tiredwife The one thing I can't complain about is lack of sleep. I've slept really well through all of this with the exception of the night I had the surgery and that was because I was too dazed and drugged to remember that Vicodin keeps me awake and that's what they were giving me, in large doses. I've been sleeping 8 hours a night pretty consistently with only one potty break in there somewhere and right back to sleep. I'll ask my PT tomorrow if there is anything else I can do to get the excess fluid out of there.
 
Comparative Pain Scale
0
No pain. Feeling perfectly normal.
Minor
Does not
interfere with
most activities.
Able to adapt to
pain
psychologically
and with
medication or
devices such as
cushions.
1
Very Mild

Very light barely noticeable pain, like a mosquito bite or a
poison ivy itch. Most of the time you never think about the
pain.
2
Discomforting

Minor pain, like lightly pinching the fold of skin between the
thumb and first finger with the other hand, using the
fingernails. Note that people react differently to this selftest.
3
Tolerable

Very noticeable pain, like an accidental cut, a blow to the
nose causing a bloody nose, or a doctor giving you an
injection. The pain is not so strong that you cannot get used
to it. Eventually, most of the time you don't notice the pain.
You have adapted to it.
Moderate
Interferes with
many activities.
Requires
lifestyle
changes but
patient remains
independent.
Unable to adapt
to pain.
4
Distressing

Strong, deep pain, like an average toothache, the initial pain
from a bee sting, or minor trauma to part of the body, such
as stubbing your toe real hard. So strong you notice the pain
all the time and cannot completely adapt. This pain level can
be simulated by pinching the fold of skin between the thumb
and first finger with the other hand, using the fingernails,
and squeezing real hard. Note how the simulated pain is
initially piercing but becomes dull after that.
3
Very
Distressing

Strong, deep, piercing pain, such as a sprained ankle when
you stand on it wrong or mild back pain. Not only do you
notice the pain all the time, you are now so preoccupied with
managing it that you normal lifestyle is curtailed. Temporary
personality disorders are frequent.
6
Intense

Strong, deep, piercing pain so strong it seems to partially
dominate your senses, causing you to think somewhat
unclearly. At this point you begin to have trouble holding a
job or maintaining normal social relationships. Comparable
to a bad non-migraine headache combined with several bee
stings, or a bad back pain.
Severe
Unable to
engage in
normal
activities.
Patient is
disabled and
unable to
function
independently.
7
Very
Intense

Same as 6 except the pain completely dominates your
senses, causing you to think unclearly about half the time.
At this point you are effectively disabled and frequently
cannot live alone. Comparable to an average migraine
headache.
8
Utterly
Horrible

Pain so intense you can no longer think clearly at all, and
have often undergone severe personality change if the pain
has been present for a long time. Suicide is frequently
contemplated and sometimes tried. Comparable to childbirth
or a real bad migraine headache.
9
Excruciating
Unbearable

Pain so intense you cannot tolerate it and demand pain
killers or surgery, no matter what the side effects or risk. If
this doesn't work, suicide is frequent since there is no more
joy in life whatsoever. Comparable to throat cancer.
10
Unimaginable
Unspeakable

Pain so intense you will go unconscious shortly. Most people
have never experienced this level of pain. Those who have
suffered a severe accident, such as a crushed hand, and lost
consciousness as a result of the pain and not blood loss,
have experienced level 10.
 
Hi I can relate to the way you are feeling I thought it was just me its so irritating isnt it its like it just gets on your nerves and niggles at it like trying your paitance and I can tell you it does.
 
@gr82cu2 Sorry the above takes up so much room, but it is an easier to understand pain scale. Glad you can sleep! You are lucking in that.
 
I'm right where you are, Janet. I'm still getting so achy and stiff. I've gotten into the habit of rubbing my knee a lot for relief. I fidget and keep changing positions to get comfortable. It does get OLD!
 
@gr82cu2 that is what happen to me my brain said one thing and my knee another I still get stiff and I still swell as if I do too much I also have a knot on the side of my knee and massage it I am It will be 9 weeks Wednesday I have to keep reminding myself to have patience Today is the first time that all day I have like a big girl gone done the steps continuely You will get there Janet but also talk to your doctor. @tiredwife thanks for awesome chart I am going to print it if I can figure out how to do on my mac, as can't just copy and paste, still learning the mac
 
The knee feels pretty normal if I'm not doing much. It gets stiff when I sit for maybe an hour or so but loosens up once I start walking. I get stiff (but not as much as a few weeks ago) when I shop or stand at work for an hour. But it does loosen up fairly quickly. I'm generally a bit sore at the end of the day. I seem to be following the same pattern (or maybe a bit better) than with the last knee. I do still take tylenol during the day.
I pretty much rest and ice when I get home. I want to ease the knee into health. :)
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom