TKR gr82cu2 Hello new knee, it's great to see you!

Well, the hives are all gone but I'm left with a light rash in the areas where they were. Have you ever gotten in insulation? You know that prickly itch you get when you get fiberglass insulation on your skin. That's how it feels. I'm totally at a loss as to what caused it. I haven't taken another Tramadol since last night. I'll be on high alert when/if I take another one.
 
@gr82cu2 It could be the meds, look at hubby suddenly being allergic to his bp meds after 5 years. Sometimes it happens. You got to be careful with allergic reactions in that they can travel to your throat. If it doesn't start improving it might be worth a trip to the ER, or at least a call to them to get their opinion.
 
Okay we must have posted at the same time. Glad they are better, be alert the next time you take your meds and have the Benadryl handy at first itch.
 
It's Foxsea and I'm finally back again. Had LTKR on 7-29-2014 so am in my 6th week of recovery. My PT still comes to my home and I have a set of exercises I do. I can"t seem to get beyond 90 degrees. My PT prefers to measure my leg while I am lying down as she says I am more stable that way.
Janet , my PT had me do the same thing yours did…that is to put my left foot (op leg) on the stair step and do pumps in preparation for me to walk up stairs one foot at a time. Something I haven't done in over a year. (She is saying my op leg will become my good leg and my right leg will be my bad leg, for use of a better word. I did it a couple of times but it seems very hard to do and I feel for you having to do it 15X, twice. I'd want to slap her too!

I have one more week of PT coming to my home and then I'll be going to output therapy. When I was at the SNF I used a machine called NuStep which I really liked. It had pedals I just pushed forward and hand controls but it was not a bike machine. I'm off Percoset and on Norco as of last Sunday and it tended to make me loopy at first but now it makes me sleepy so today I took a nap. I rarely have pain. Except the other night I was trying to find a different way to sleep, i.e. on left side, then on right side and then almost on my stomach. I pulled something on right lower side of my back and boy is that sore. So used heat pad, Salonpas and of course the Norco and it's gradually going away. Won't try that stunt again.

Did Daystar ever come back on? I'm reading all the emails from everyone and can relate to most of the things everyone is going through.

Oh, after being in a SNF for 3 days I developed a heat rash on my back. Probably from a warm spell, believe it or not in San Francisco. It was those raised tiny blisters on my back and then it spread to under my legs, my trunk, etc. The nurse put hydrocortisone on it and it went away. Don't know if it was 1 or 2%. It was very itchy.

Wishing everyone continuing success on the road to recovery. And for those who are waiting for surgery--hang in there. I know the waiting gets tedious but keep busy and soon you will be on the road to recovery. :) Over & out…Foxsea
 
Hi @Foxsea it's good of you to stop by with an update. It sounds like you are doing well. I also asked this week why we are measured lying down vs sitting and she said we can actually bed further laying down. Something about it doesn't pull the calf muscle or something. It didn't make sense to me because when sitting I can see how far my knee is bending and it sure looks further than 110-115 degrees to me. The stair lifting thing didn't hurt me or cause me pain. My poor quad was exhausted though, especially after all the other exercises she had me do prior. My muscles were a little sore and tired for about 24 hours after that but have recovered well. Truth is, I probably needed to be pushed a little as I feel my legs are weakening from all the sitting around. They have a NuStep at my PT also but they only put me on it the first 2 times I was there and then moved me to the recumbent bike.

We haven't seen anything from Daystar so not sure what's up with her these days.
 
@gr82cu2 I have taken penicillin many times in my life. A few months ago I had a reaction to it. No hives but the itching prickly feeling and minor breathing issues. Dr said allergies can manifest anytime. Glad you had benadryl and are feeling better.
 
Thanks @Minnie's knees ! I really think it was the Tramadol because it happened about 60-90 minutes after I took it. If I get brave tomorrow I may give it a test run and see if it happens again. The thing is, if it is the Tramadol then I want to know because my OS will want to prescribe that again for my next TKR. Luckily I didn't have any breathing issues or feeling like my throat was closing up.
 
Now I'm thinking it may be the Celebrex. I remembered when Kent picked it up at the pharmacy the pharmacist asked him if I had any drug allergies and he told her yes, to Sulpha. They warned him Celebrex contains sulpha something or other and I may react to it. I skipped the Celebrex yesterday morning. Actually I didn't take anything but my BP pill yesterday because of what happened Friday night. Well, I took the Celebrex last night and woke up this morning with a light rash again but no hives. So, I didn't take Celebrex this morning. I'll try a Tramadol later, if this rash disappears, and see what happens.
 
@gr82cu2 I am allergic to sulfa drugs too. It probably is the Celebrex. Why would they give you something if you are allergic to an ingredient in it?
 
@tiredwife I have no idea? Sometimes I think it's a big waste of time going over our meds and allergies with these doctors. I swear they don't listen or pay attention. I'm still experimenting to see what is causing it. The rash left so I just took 2 Tramadol. Benadryl is right by my side. If it is the Celebrex isn't it strange that I was able to take it for almost 6 weeks before having a problem? Knowing I have a sulpha allergy you would think it would have caused a problem by now. Anyway, stay tuned to see if there is a reaction to the Tramadol. Blah!
 
Sometimes it takes a while to develop a reaction. I've had meds that took weeks to give me a reaction.
 
@gr82cu2 Some drugs can cause an immediate reaction some can take awhile! I've had both happen to me. You are okay aren't you?
 
Yep, I'm fine! No reaction at all to the Tramadol and I took 2. I usually just take one so it must be the Celebrex. Bummer! Cause I could have taken that right up to the next surgery. I guess I'll have to call tomorrow and ask if it's ok to go back on Aleve. I would think it would be. I've been off blood thinners since the 10th day post op.
 
@gr82cu2 Janet you sure have had a time of it. I'm glad you figured out what it was and can start taking something else. How us your knee feeling? Anne
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom