BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community

[THR] Got'er done!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Wayfarer, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Wayfarer

Wayfarer junior member

S F Bay Area — Please don't write "Frisco."
    United States United States
    Yeah, I think that’s pretty much the norm here or at least with Kaiser. I don’t know if my 81-year recovery room neighbor went home that same night, but she was motoring around on a walker and was going to the bathroom with the same (and her daughter) when I was leaving. I think lucky for me I still had a fair amount of anesthesia in my system from the spinal. And we’re also lucky that we are 15-20 minutes from the hospital, but it was a little bumpy in the Honda CRV. My truck might have been more comfortable, but my wife doesn’t like to drive it.

So with all the variables, maybe I would have stayed overnight under different circumstances. A two-hour drive would have been daunting! We would probably have stayed a night in a hotel if they were to discharge me the same day and there was a two-hour drive ahead. I was able to get down the 16 stairs on my own to the bedroom with my son shadowing me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yay for successfully navigating stairs :yay:
    How did you sleep last night? Did you get into bed, or sleep in a recliner?
    How's your pain? Hopefully well managed. What about your appetite?
    Inquiring minds like details. Spill em....
    @Wayfarer

3. Wayfarer

Wayfarer junior member

Ah, ok, Layla, I knew I had an obligation and responsibility to this fine board; one can’t always be a taker.

I’ve had two nights now at home (tonight is the third). Slept okay the first night considering; was able to sleep on both sides and a little on my back—I don’t sleep well on my back. Was actually awake pretty early (7:30-ish). I think I was pretty doped up the first night with oxy and tramadol.

My first day, second night, I was pretty doped up most the day; still trying to figure out dosage and to stay ahead of the pain. Last night I took an oxy before bed figuring if I was trying to reposition it might hurt to do so. I slept ok, but couldn’t quite get it right, comfortable on my surgery side. I must have slept okay, didn’t need to nap this afternoon.

Today, I took two doses of the 2 ea extra strength acetaminophen, along with the 1 ea meloxicam (makes me a little shaky/light headed, but nothing major) I may not be taking it with enough food. Also taking 1 ea half aspirin twice a day. This is the first day I’ve been taking stool softeners; I haven’t had a BM yet at home. Not sure if I will take an oxy, tramadol, or the acetaminophen before bed tonight.

I think I’ve been doing okay on the walker downstairs. My operated leg is pretty sore, I can bend at the knee standing no problem. I feel very stable on my operated leg with the support of the walker, but if I lift my hands off the walker, not so much. I struggle to get my leg back up on the bed and elevated, but not excruciatingly so.

I would say today was pretty light as far as activity. Walking a little with the walker regularly throughout the day. I plan to go up our 16 stairs tomorrow and spend a good portion of the day in the living area; I guess depending on how well tonight goes. I don’t have a recliner, but a leather cigar chair with an extra cushion. So I wouldn’t be really getting too much elevation; may have to use one of the couches for that.

I’ve been icing pretty regularly and no shocking swelling, but noticeable in the hip, not so much the thigh, but sore to the touch on the thigh. I have to be a little cautious with the two dogs as they like to spend time on the bed throughout the day and one or both will want to sleep with me—the younger of the two, the Flat Coat, is more rambunctious. Wife is comfortable in the guest bedroom.

No black and blue, yet I suppose.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Sounds very familiar...all of it.
    Getting the log leg up in to bed, the back sleeping (or not):sigh:...all very familiar.
    I never did bruise up much except just around incision. You may not either.
    Do try to stay hydrated and keep those stool softeners going.
    You may want to get a mild laxative contingency plan..
    I had a bad time with the No Go...between the surgery and meds.
    All of this temporary and you overall sound too being very well.
    That leg isn't ready yet for full weight...so no worries.
    Slow wins this race.
    Hope today is a healing restful day @Wayfarer :ice:

• Like Like x 1
  5. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Are you using a belt or dressing gown cord to hook the log leg into bed?

6. Layla

Good Morning Wayfarer :wave:
    Thanks for updating. We are curious and do care to know how you're doing, so please feel free to share. Many benefit from others updates.

You seem to be progressing nicely. Looks like you're getting enough sleep also. May not be the best quality in these early days, but naps help too.

You're experiencing Log Leg, which is very common and it will gradually ease. I've heard it described as -
    your brain is telling your leg to move but the muscle and soft tissue has been traumatized and doesn't react.
    You can purchase a leg lifter if you don't have one. It's pictured in the Recovery Aids if you're unfamiliar.
    http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/recovery-aids-a-comprehensive-list-for-hospital-and-home.12499/
    The belt to a bath robe can be just as effective.

I'd keep the ice going. If not for swelling, it helps with pain. I'm sure you've read that Josephine recommends icing for no less than 40-60 mins each session, several times per day. Make sure your skin is protected. I had some bruising show up on day 17 post op, all in the area of my knee. So if some bruising suddenly appears, no worries...it can happen.

For safety, have someone walk behind you going up the 16 stairs, if it's your maiden voyage.
    I hope today is a good day, you're doing great :yes!:
    @Wayfarer

7. WhyAskMe

WhyAskMe member

Good morning Will,

Haven't been on in a few days, caught up in life's distractions.

So, how's it going today?

Hopefully your pain is managed and you're running laps around the house now?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Wayfarer

Wayfarer junior member

Thanks everyone (hi brother Joey).

So let’s see, where was I. The last two days (that’s part of today) I’ve just been on Acetaminophen as a pain reliever. Had an okay sleep night the night before last, night three. Got up yesterday feeling pretty good. Took it easy in the first part of the day, but migrated upstairs and 16 steps to get there for a few hours to get a change of view. Went back downstairs till around dinner time and then went back upstairs for the same. Not for too long as I seem to get a slight vascular migraine which I have experienced periodically in the past for about 15 years. It settled down at about the time I was heading downstairs. Experienced the same slightly the evening before.

Probably the biggest milestone yesterday though was *drum roll* taking a dump! I was getting a little concerned as I was on about day-three of NOT having one. To write it was a big, big relief is an understatement. Having backpacked around the world in my 20’s and 30’s, bowel movements were often a topic of conversations, even with strangers. Mid-morning today was also a success. Hope this continues. I will ask my PT today if I should continue taking stool softeners. Luckily I didn’t have to break out the big guns: there are two stools softeners I was given, but only taking one of them. Maybe I WAS taking the big gun all along—will confirm with PT today.

Had a decent sleep last night and was able sleep on my operated side for some of the night. Woke up this morning quite stiff and a little achy to let the dogs out at about 7:30 am. Took a couple acetaminophen and went back to sleep for another hour or so after my wife left for work. Woke up feeling a lot better (wife had let the dogs back in). Daughter gave me a bite to eat and coffee (tea was left bedside before wife took off) before she went down to my office. Amazing how coffee/caffeine will go such a long way in this healing/recovery process.

So there you have it, nothing too remarkable which I think is good at this point. With posting and reading here, other internet use, taking a few calls, the days do seem to wile away pretty quickly—haven’t even opened one of the books I’ve brought home in preparation for this recovery. I tend to watch some TV starting at 5:50 pm in evening. Wife and I plan to watch Green Book tonight if available. PT here in about 30 min.

Hope everyone else is well!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Wayfarer

Wayfarer junior member

Being upstairs yesterday, all the dogs could do is just stare at me. We are normally pretty active together. They roll with me in the truck and have their spots in the office. Everytime I make a move they think we're going somewhere:

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20190111_497a8c8c3083c47a9fb30f9fe3a8cd4f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Layla

They are so cute. Love them! The one in front is keeping eyes peeled, not even going to blink and miss a
    a possible movement of yours. Layla, however, looks like she has her self positioned to move quickly should you so much as stir. Great photo!
    @Wayfarer

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mojo333

You and the dogs...they look concerned for you.
    This is the tough part....all will get easier as you go.
    Hope your evening is comfortable (as possible at this point) and restful (as possible at this point)

Healing Mojo coming your way !:tada:

12. Wayfarer

Wayfarer junior member

You’re pretty much spot on Layla, however, that Flat Coat, Tilly, is three years Lady’s junior so if that window opens, Tilly will be all over it, muscling Lady out of the way. Not in a mean way, that tail will be wagging, but just with her size and smarts. I’m always reminding her, “gentle, Gentle, GENTLE, Tilly!”

Yeah Mojo, it’s Friday, end of the work week, I’m ready to do something! Oh, wait, just one problem...

Oh well, there is reviewing daughter’s Personal Statement for one of her Nursing program applications.

PT session; I like Peter, we’re about the same height 5’16”, but he’s gotta be younger than I am, not sure by how much. We went over a number of things. The height of my walker; full extension, just about perfect. My meds; I was using the laxative INSTEAD of stool softener. Gonna use the softener now unless things start to become too loose. And pain med use—still sticking with Tylenol-only till things change.

We also went over use of shower; we are both on board that I don’t need a chair, walker in the shower, and can incorporate the ledges and other grips in the shower space. I grew up in many California droughts were the mantra, at least in the early 70’s, was shower with a friend. This isn’t necessary, but it might be wise to have wife be in the bathroom the first few times.

Also touched on exercises and stretches that weren’t so much detailed on my handout. I think we’re on the same page about our sessions not being exercise task-focused. At this point I was feeling a little cold sweatish and weak standing this long and concentrating on our conversation all the while walking around; I sat down on the edge of the bed. He took my temp, fine, and BP, a little low. He said we didn’t need to practice the steps. I said instead of seeing him off upstairs after the climb, how ‘bout if we just do half the stair climb and back together. This we did and then he split. Bandage off on Monday.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mojo333

I think that you are doing things just the right way these early days.
    Hubby lurked just out side of shower as the woozy sensations can come without warning.
    Glad you aren't subject to overdo.
    All temporary and you are handling just great!
    Hope your night is restful and healing!:ice:

14. Layla

So LADY and TIlly? How come Goldie looks like the one you called, Layla in the first photo?
    Is there a Layla? Or sadly, no longer? Or are there three?
    You're confusing me, Wayfarer :what: :shrug: Not difficult to do :heehee:

Agree on the shower, I had hubs within earshot when he had to practically push me in. I was afraid to take that first shower and I was a combo of wobbly and a little shaky. It was a quick shower but long enough to get clean and make me happy I did it :yes!:

Make sure you're staying hydrated. Hope you have a good overnight.
    @Wayfarer

15. Going4fun

Going4fun member

@Wayfarer, sounds like you're rocking and rolling--well the first-days-after-hip-replacement version of rocking and rolling.

Love those dogs. They have a look on their faces as if they're saying, "What's up with this guy? Why isn't he moving around? What's with this contraption he's using (the walker)?" They're shaking their heads trying to figure out what's going on.

Doesn't sound like you've got any really bad pain, sounds like you're on top of your meds. I would say don't rush to get off the Oxy as it's prescribed for good reason. I think I took Oxy for about ten days ... at the end, I was taking it at night only ... But my doctor gave me an incredible cocktail of pain meds beyond the Oxy.

Great to hear your updates. So your living room is upstairs from the bedrooms?!

16. Wayfarer

Wayfarer junior member

Thank you ladies for the reinforcement on the shower approach.

Layla, remember above I noted that the family calls her “Layla” (and is noted that way with City reg, vet, etc.) and I call her “Lady.” I was like, what’s with Layla? Is that an Eric Clapton thing (I was thinking more Lady & The Tramp)? Anyway, it works for us except if say at a dog park; someone may say, Lady? There was a dog here last week named Layla. Oh, then my wife must have been here. Well, it goes something like this...then I go on to explain. :umm:

Yes Going, the living area is upstairs, but bedrooms are downstairs. The entrance is “upstairs” as we live on a hill with a view, so homes tend to be configured that way. That being written, one of the original homes on the hill one lot over, my grandparents’, built in 1936, was built more traditionally as if not on a hill. As I get older, and with my dad and, aunt and uncle, well into their 80’s, we see how even just one step or two can be cause for concern. If we build another house in this area, we agree that a double master, shared master bath, kitchen, and living area will all be on one level even if a multi-level home. Our neighbors up the street are currently doing that with a tear down, down the street. And they are doing the double master thing too; I mean we all love our spouses, but...:censored:

I like your suggestion about maybe an oxy at night, may curb wake up pain from moving around at night in sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 5:34 PM
  17. Layla

Ok, got it now. Thanks for the explanation.

Double Master? Me likey! :heehee: I've never heard of this genius concept.
    No overheating in bed, no hugging the edge while hubs has two feet between himself and his edge, no snoring, elbowing, kicking, pillow stealing!

The things we learn on BoneSmart :egypdance:
    @Wayfarer

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. Wayfarer

Wayfarer junior member

Exactly Layla, and we can split up the two dogs who often sleep with us; if not all night, at least for part

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Mojo333

We should all bills our homes with our dogs comfort in mind.:heehee:
    Do be careful as you navigate the stairs...rule number one for post-op healing...No Falling!:no-fin:

I bet today is going to be a good day. Keep that Ice going!:ice:

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Wayfarer

Wayfarer junior member

Well, the last few days (days five and six post-op) were as uneventful (not disappointing as in watching the playoffs with no 49’ers or Raiders) as hopefully could be expected.

Saturday, Sunday, and this morn were basically the same; wake up reasonably early, let dog(s) out, pop a couple extra strength Tylenol, go to the bathroom, let dog(s) back in, sleep for another hour or more. Get up, make a cuppa, tea for wife, some toast. Still sore and stiff in operated side of leg, left. The Tylenol tends to curb this once it sets in; after my second waking. Tending to stay the course with Tylenol during the day along with Meloxicam (the once a day dose). Taking an oxy and vape draw to aid with sleep before bed.

Wife and I went to a pet store to get cat food et al after midday on Saturday. Still on my walker to get through the store, playoffs, and a “walker” up the street while son was visiting to catch up and throw balls for the bored dogs out front the house. Walkered about a 100 yards up the street and back; would have walkered further, but the Flat Coat was following me instead of playing with the Golden and son. Worked with the cane a bit Saturday late afternoon and early evening.

Sunday more playoffs, using cane all day at this point. Tend to be a little...not unsteady, but stiff when I get off a chair or couch. Able to “walk it off” after a few steps once I get going. Still can’t put all my weight on my left leg, but part of my own PT, trying to put a little bit more weight on it here and there. Without the cane, it just takes a grip of anything to keep me feeling secure and moving around kitchen, bathroom, etc. Managed to drag the garbage and recycling bins (on wheels) out to the street with little effort Sunday night.

When on the couch (ball games) and the bed, keeping leg elevated and iced, and trying to do the latter whenever I’m in that position.

PT coming in an hour to remove bandage.

Conversation with daughter after returning from volunteering at Stanford Hospital (she’s applying to nursing schools currently after getting her undergrad at my undergraduate alma mater):

Daughter: If you need to go down to the office this week sometime, we can...
    Wayfarer: Oh, I’m going down to the office...
    Daughter: What do you mean?
    Wayfarer: I’m going down to the office after PT gets here to remove my bandage.
    Daughter: You’re NOT DRIVING there yourself.
    Wayfarer: *leaves it at that*