BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. Announcing BoneSmart's NEW Joint Surgeon Locator tool

We are pleased to now offer a tool to help you find just the right surgeon for your needs.

Read more about this in this announcement:>

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Got'er done!

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Wayfarer, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

S F Bay Area — Please don't write "Frisco."
    United States United States
    Didn’t wanna post yesterday as it went remarkably smooth/well with a couple hiccups, but not surgery related per se. So didn’t want to jinx my first “day on the job.”

Had a 6 am call, surgery at 8:30 am. They did the work up and I think I was lightly dosed as it was a bit surreal being wheeled down the hallway(s) passing people, other rooms, medical equipment, etc.

Had an excellent anesthesiologist nurse who went into much detail about what she was going to do. That was the first snag. The spinal didn’t really work. I mean the entry to spine was easy peasy, but it didn’t take full hold; 10 - 15 minutes later they gave me a general—could have been my high tolerance to booze. The surgeon asked me what kind of music I wanted to listen to. A little doped up, I said, don’t call me a criminal, but maybe the Carpenters, something like that. I tried to cover my tracks with some other suggestions about adult contemporary rock.

So, I wake up in recovery a bit groggy. Shortly thereafter they move me to another “room.” The anesthesia is starting wear off in my legs and feet. They want to get me up and moving after the same dissipates. This is done, and work on some stairs (we have them at home). Pain is managed, taking pills (will get a list together) regularly.

Now the second snag; my buttocks and genital areas are COMPLETLEY numb. Couldn’t clench my butt if I was going to have a loose BM, so no control of gas that’s coming out me; we could all hear it, but I couldn’t feel it so of course I denied it was me! Same on the front, felt no control to urinate. So the second snag, they wanted me to urinate before I was discharged. Well, hours go by, they do a scan and sure enough, there is urine in my bladder.

They talk about the possible necessity of using a catheter. Multiple times I walk to the bathroom with walker to stand at the toilet for ten minutes or more with a urine container waiting for something to happen. Nada. It’s going on close to 6 - 7 pm, it’s been close to 12 hours since a pee and that’s the only thing holding me back from going home. Catheter it is and 500 ml of urine later I’m ready to go home, all the while the numbness is slowly going away.

At home the numbness is mostly gone and my “muscles” in my groin area seem to be getting active again. Sit up with the family for a spell. Opiates kinda keep awake. Take the 16 stairs down to the bedroom. Watch late news and crash about midnight. Poor wife is exhausted where she was nodding off in a chair in the recovery room. I offered to sit for a while where she could nod off in my hospital bed; she declined.

Got a reasonable sleep on my sides which were okayed by the surgeon. A little painful, took some meds twice in the night. Felt like I had a really good team at the hospital. Have PT at home in two hours.

The last hip replacement patient was a remarkable 81 year old woman. There she was buzzing past me on her walker after surgery. Her daughter looked older than she was! On one of my trips back from the bathrooom I asked if this was her first or second hip replacement. It was her first hip replacement, but she had two prior knee replacements.:wowspring:

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Welcome to the other side @Wayfarer ! I'll leave your recovery list here for you to refer to during this journey. Get that icing and elevation going. You are on your way!

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for THRs

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery. While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

3. KathyB

KathyB junior member

@Wayfarer Congratulations. Glad to hear everything went well for you. Sounds like they had you out of the hospital on the same day. I was in at 5:30 a.m. and was out about twelve hours later! Love your "Frisco" comment on your profile, I know this is a big "no no" if you are from the Bay Area. Probably makes it worse if the comment is from someone from SoCal.:heehee:

4. WhyAskMe

WhyAskMe member

Hi Will,

So glad to hear surgery went well...everything came out ok...with a little (catheter) help!

Sounds like you're in good spirits. I'll refrain from asking "are you glad you did it?" for a week or two.

Remember, stay ahead of the pain...and please keep us up to date.

Can't wait to follow your progress in the near future.

5. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

Well Kathy, us Northerners do say “helLA”. :scary:

Joe, as others have said that I’ve met and seen here is that the joint pain is gone. So in that sense, definitely. Just gotta work through the pain of the procedure. Hopefully, no other hiccups of any significance along the recovery journey. Yeah, a bit loopy at the ‘mo. My first PT appt just over. The woman I talked to before Peter came said to take a pain med 30 min before he got here. It was more of a meet and greet. Didn’t need 10 mg of oxycodone!

Will keep ya posted, just wanna get in the car before too long; not after 10 mg of oxy tho’!

Jaycee, I’ve seen your post in every thread of recovery. Of course now I’m going to pay more particular attention!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  6. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:yes!: all done and home!
    Glad to hear you can already tell that horrid hip pain is gone for good.
    Healing vibes coming your way!:yes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Yay! You made it....we've been watching for you over here.
    It's so nice to have all that pre-op anxiety behind you. Now...onto the healing part.
    I hope your pain is well managed and you have a peaceful night!
    @Wayfarer

8. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

Yep Mojo, just as you’ve said; that part of the ordeal is fixed.

Thank you Layla, I might as well write it now we have the most gorgeous Golden named Layla; although I do call her Lady, I’ve always gotta be difficult. :dogwalk:

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

Here she is on a road trip a couple summers ago:

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20190109_4f1228e1c0055bc820e8f4f9d30bdea1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Layla

Aww, she's a a pretty girl. Great photo too.
    I'll bet she'll be a devoted companion while you're convalescing.
    Wishing you comfort!
    @Wayfarer

• Like Like x 1
  11. Debru4

Debru4 senior

A comment you made about taking pain meds 1/2 hour before PT implies that what you are going to do in PT might hurt. The common advice on the site is that PT isn't really necessary.....that walking and daily life activities as you are able will take care of it. I would think especially since you have so many steps to climb to get to your bathroom----all those steps will give you quite a workout.

My original post on the forum was asking about PT---my surgeon did not recommend it, butI assumed I should be doing it---that PT is needed after major surgeries. His advice was echoed by numerous people here, and I am glad I listened to them. My recovery has gone well, and I have been able to walk distances and do all daily activities for months now. (Not that I haven't had, or won't have a variety of pains or questions----I have. But I have managed to escape the overdoing/messed something up situation.):) :-) (:

The other thing that is stressed, is that if anything in PT (or in general) hurts, don't do it. Just a cautionary word ----make sure your PT( and you) aren't overly ambitious with your exercises. :bignono: Nothing sets us back more than overdoing, or pulling something trying to exercise.

Sounds like you are doing great....good for you.:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

Ok, the numbers.

Forgetting the X-ray in Nov 2017, and the early stuff (office visit, steroid shot, PT) the first quarter of 2018, it was (all with Kaiser—I pay a $575/month premium):

GP consult June—$40 copay; how are things? Good, but my hip is killing me. Would you like a surgeon referral? Yes, please. This trying different avenues earlier in the year.

OS consult June—$40 copay; how does your hip feel? It hurts, I’m very inactive, I worry about my safety if I had to run from something, or run to something. We discussed hip replacement approaches, he only does anterior which is what I wanted. Okay, let’s do it in January of next year.

Pre-op physical December—$40 copay; mini-EKG, vitals, full blood test. Copay on all the blood work billed, $650, yikes!

Pre-op class December—no copay

Another X-ray at my suggestion January—$70 copay

Two additional blood tests January—no copay

Surgery January—$2500 copay

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

Points taken Debru. And the PT guy wasn’t pushing anything we were doing. It was an admin on the phone that made the pain med suggestion. With the PT we are going to go over living and safety; showering, stairs, walking outside et al. We went over the exercises and he just said do any little bit you can. I “think” he gets it.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Debru4

Debru4 senior

Glad to hear that Wayfarer! Just take it easy, and if you are tempted to push really hard so you'll heal faster, be sure to get on this site and read the tales of woe of those who did--haha!:heehee:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. SurreyGirl

SurreyGirl post-grad

;yup I was definitely one of those! Set myself back by doing too much early on and paid the price.

Glad you are on the other side and best of luck with your recovery!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi. Hope you were able to get some rest...

Re the numbers
    Getting back to life with a new hip - Priceless!
    :egypdance:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Layla

Happy Wednesday!
    Hope it's a good one for you.
    You're on your way :yes!:
    @Wayfarer

18. Klassy

Klassy senior

Well done @Wayfarer , keep us posted.

Music by The Carpenters, did you choose that to go with the sawing and hammering?

19. Wayfarer

Wayfarer member

You know Klassy, I was thinking, music? Aren’t I suppose to be out in a few minutes???

Mojo, I put up the numbers as a comparative; I have no idea what these things cost around the world or even in the rest of the States. Had I not had coverage, I might have considered “medical tourism,” probably Bangkok, Thailand.

20. prairienut

prairienut senior

I'm impressed that you were discharged the same day of surgery. No way was I ready to walk out of the hospital that night or even the next day, crutches or not. The 2-hour ride home was a daunting prospect. Pain meds were out of whack until the 2nd post-surgical day. Once we settled those, I was eager to leave.